How is this record?

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Voices in Latin - Something Cool (Pulsar)

Comments

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    That cover would look real good on my wall. No idea about the music, though.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

i dig it.

not sure where your tastes lay- seem to be more straight ahead 60's fania/cotique to latin soul.

this is breezy bossa vocals - spacy but very poppy.

i think it's a great album. it's pretty mellow and makes you relax.

but then again- i also dig Bobby Paunetto - Paunetto's Point.

• "$500" good.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "$500" good.
    That's what I wanted to hear.

• dont drop loot

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    "$5" good.

dont drop loot
    Ok. I need to save money for Skull Snaps anyway.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    yeah, kinda sux alot of ballz. I don't know what young Aleit is hearin in this shite. hahahh

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    yeah, kinda sux alot of ballz. I don't know what young Aleit is hearin in this shite. hahahh

don't try to son me son 'cause your pulling "expecting in '06" rank.

breeezzzyyyy...... i like music that makes me snooze.

i kinda dig this one too:

tired of hyperactive wallbanging ear-piercing shite... skulls snap exactly.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    what a gimmicky cover!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Great Gimmicks LP.

Bad cover or not.

don't try to son me son 'cause your pulling "expecting in '06" rank.

breeezzzyyyy...... i like music that makes me snooze.

i kinda dig this one too:

tired of hyperactive wallbanging ear-piercing shite... skulls snap exactly.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Well, what is the deal with PULSAR records? I have twp LPs off of the label and I could never find any info (Grahm Bond, and Tolbert Wilson?). One is rock, one is dirty whiteboy blues, I like em. thanks.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

along the lines of sergio mendes style latin. i like the intro for their version of sunshine superman.
    the rest is moody mellow breezyness.

• That's a really good album. I would go for the uk cover.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Well, what is the deal with PULSAR records? I have twp LPs off of the label and I could never find any info (Grahm Bond, and Tolbert Wilson?). One is rock, one is dirty whiteboy blues, I like em.

Pulsar was a tax-writeoff sub-label for Mercury Records. Dr. John was a producer at Pulsar, and he talks about it in his autobio, Under A Hoodoo Moon. His memories are not fond.

Grahame Bond was a singer/keyboardist from the 1960's wave of British blues. Even though he had the occasional US release, he never really caught on in the States. The one album I have is called Mighty Grahame Bond and is actually a pretty good semi-soul record, with funky organ grooves for days. Don't let the flowing hippie robe he wears on the cover (or the artsy-fartsy liner notes) fool you.

As for Wayne Tolbert (I assume that's what you mean by "Tolbert Wilson"), he was a musician from Houston, TX who had just gotten out of jail when he released those albums on Pulsar (and Mercury). I believe he was also on the Sir Douglas Quintet's 1+1+1=4 album, on Philips (another Mercury label).

There were also a few New Orleans productions on Pulsar - that was the label that released King Floyd's first album in 1969 (pre-"Groove Me"). The company also issued an exceptionally fine single by Shine (Alvin Robinson) - the one I have pairs "Empty Talk" with "Sho' 'Bout To Drive Me Wild." Don't know if he had any others on Pulsar...

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts

The female singer is Barbara Moore who recorded the indemand 'Vocal Shades & Tones' LP on Dewolfe, some of the music from the Dewolfe LP was used in the Sweeney (Classic 70s UK TV), Price is about $60-$100 I think, the UK copy makes more!!

• the UK copy makes more!!
    sounds like a challenge, rey.

What about this one?

Hot?

Yeah, the best one is the Harvey Averne on Fania.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    please only links in the sales page.

BAN.

ray perez is great. one of the top 60's / early 70's venezuelan guys - descargas, heavy hitting shit.

but two things:
    a) not latin funk - so perhaps not your thing
    b) most likely a reissue

The seller insists that "it's the first original pressing !!" Misinformed perhaps?