Rawest Soul Vocalists

13»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Gladys Knight..........not the rawest though.

If she's not the rawest, in your opinion, then why bother mentioning her name?

Because "rawest" is like someone asking who the "best" is. The pantheon is interchangable. There is no best/rawest/smoothest/etc....

I was actually talking about RAW in terms of grit and strength, hence the Syl jumpoff, who this thread was inspired by.

I know what you meant, but cats will interpret RAW through their personal mind garden filter. Once cats start droppin' "Blues" artists' names instead of "Soul" artists, then shit unravels.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Stand Up Like Man, another of her Calla singles, is fucking crazy raw. Co-sign on Koko's Separate or Integrate, a 45 only 1969 chess release that just rips.

• ouweeouwee 50 Posts
    URAL Thomas
    Frankie Coe

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Gladys Knight..........not the rawest though.

If she's not the rawest, in your opinion, then why bother mentioning her name?

Because "rawest" is like someone asking who the "best" is. The pantheon is interchangable. There is no best/rawest/smoothest/etc....

I was actually talking about RAW in terms of grit and strength, hence the Syl jumpoff, who this thread was inspired by.

I know what you meant, but cats will interpret RAW through their personal mind garden filter. Once cats start droppin' "Blues" artists' names instead of "Soul" artists, then shit unravels.

The blues artists mentioned so far all had one foot in soul music anyway, so you may as well let Bobby Bland, the Holmes Brothers and Koko Taylor in the club (ALONG WITH THE GREAT Z.Z. HILL). It ain't like they said Elmore James...

• Depending on how wide your definition of 'soul' is and how literally you are taking the term

NO ONE can fuck w/ POMPIDOO 'Governor General'

• Bunker Hill..."Little Red riding Hood", "The Girl Cant Dance"...shit makes your throat hurt just listening to him...

MAJOR COSIGN on this! You can feel this shit in your toes!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    JOHNNY SAYLES OTIS CLAY

Co-sign on this - these 2 recorded some of the best hard soul 45's of the 60's, IMO.

Can someone tell me - is the entire Johnny Sayles LP on Dakar all strings and sweet like the 45 I have? I seek out that LP because his 60's shit is so raw and R&B style, but the single I have on Dakar is pretty lightweight. An entire LP of material in his Mar-v-lus style would have been incredible.

Otis Clay kills it on so many labels. Cotillion jawn is probably my fav, but shit like "Easier Said Than Done" on One-Der-Ful sits near the top of my 45 piles constantly. His Hi work is pretty under-rated, too - as good as Syl or O.V.'s work for the label.

I gotta give a shout-out to the Fortune crew in Detroit, mainly Nolan Strong and Nathaniel Mayer - dudes both sang in a falsetto key, but in a manner that was cerified R-A-W. That Fortune recording style didn't hurt, either

the meaning of RAW is[/b]

ready and willing

to do whatever is clever, take a loss never

And the rhymes I bust, comin off is a must

And I come off hard with rhymes that are odd

I rip the microphone and leave it scarred

Never smokin or hittin or takin a sniff

Only crushin emcees that be tryin to riff

• Otis Clay His Hi work is pretty under-rated, too - as good as Syl or O.V.'s work for the label.

I gotta give a shout-out to the Fortune crew in Detroit, mainly Nolan Strong and Nathaniel Mayer - dudes would both sang in a falsetto key, but in a manner that was cerified R-A-W. That Fortune recording style didn't hurt, either

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Can someone tell me - is the entire Johnny Sayles LP on Dakar all strings and sweet like the 45 I have? I seek out that LP because his 60's shit is so raw and R&B style, but the single I have on Dakar is pretty lightweight. An entire LP of material in his Mar-v-lus style would have been incredible.

I don't have this album, but I must ask - which Dakar single do you have (if there's more than one)?

Reason being, the Dakar J.S. 45 I have is actually pretty driving. "Somebody's Changing My Sweet Baby's Mind" is on one side, while "You're So Right For Me" is on the other. (If I'm wrong, remember that I'm going from memory.) IIRC, it has an expansive production style like just about everybody on Brunswick/Dakar, but the strings and whatnot did not change anything - it still was deep Southern-style soul through and through, and Sayles' delivery still had an edge.

I should mention that neither song turns up on Sayles' LP, and that this 45 I'm talking about came out a few years before the album.

Otis Clay kills it on so many labels.

Otis Clay never lost it. Even today, he makes good records. A fave of mine is "All Because Of Your Love" on Kayvette. Even though this single was from 1977, there are NO disco touches. In fact, it sounds more countryish than anything!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    co-sign on millie jackson and i'd like to add bluesy-soulsy little ann

• girl satchmo

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

prime Tina Turner really pushes soul vocals to the pain threshold.

• Doris Duke ?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Soulhawk said:

prime Tina Turner really pushes soul vocals to the pain threshold.

"Bold Soul Sister" gives me Strep Throat.

Also Dig this album by Geater Davis:

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    it doesn't get much rawer than this, imho:

P.S. love that Geater Davis tune, too.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I'll add on this:

I have another later 60s side by him I wanted to post, but I couldn't find it on youtube.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak