Fire extinguisher clean up (extremely NRR)

mallardmallard 452 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
my friends and i recently had a fire in our oven...sprayed with a fire extinguisher, etc...took forever to clean up the kitchen...cleaned out all easy to reach places with common household cleaning ingredients...but there is still extinguisher dust (in the oven) in crevices and places we cant reach with regular cleaning utensils/oven cleaners...

is it OK to cook food with some dust still in the crevices or will it cause some chemical reaction that would be harmful/make the food taste bad?

are there any oven cleaners designed specifically for cleaning up extinguisher residue in ovens? id imagine there'd have to be since ovens must be the #1 spot for fires

Comments

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Call the gas company. They're usually happy to answer any oven/furnace safety related questions.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

It funny this should come up - I had a similar situation @ my work. I'm meeting with my fire prevension officer tomorrow. I'll ask some specific questions about this shit & let you know.

The extinguisher you used: is it marked A, B or C?

Peace

h

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    This makes me think back on this one incident. I was spending the day with my older sister when she insisted on seeing this house right away that she was closing a deal on (shes a real estate agent). The place was completley gutted except for a few house hold items here and there. I found an industrial sized fire extinguisher that I had to take back to my place. Placed this extinguisher in my car. This was during the internet boom so I was driving a newly leased bmw. Im not sure how this happened but when I made a sudden brake the extinguisher just went the FUCK off. I couldnt see two inches infront of me. That shit was spraying everywhere. I literally could not breath. Had to roll down the windows and jump out the window, open the back seat door, and toss out of my car. In that span myself and the inside of my car was completley covered in inches of sut. 120 dollars and 3 mexican car wash workers later they managed to get 95 percent of it out. I mean I dont know how they reached those little hard to reach areas but the car looked and smelled great and I got a new pair of clothes from my brother in law.

peace.