Artist Inspired/Created Religions

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Today I picked up Bobby Brown Live on a whim (nice looking copy for relatively cheap)

After listening, I was doing some researching (if you've seen the back of this album you'd understand why (one-man-band)) and apparently he had made his own religion called The Enlightening Beam Of Axonda[/b] (which is this weird combination of religion and physics).

So what other crazy religions were created up by musicians. Off the top of my head:

Father Yod - Spirit of 76 (or whatever they're called).
L. Ron Hubbard - I don't know his association with music, but he produced that apollo stars album, and not to mention scientology.

And go...

Comments

• The yellow one in the center is Golden Threads by Darwin Gross, creator of Eckanar. Actually not bad jazz type thing on one listen.

It just is!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Some Brazilian musicians. Was Tim Maia's Rational his own religious thing?

The grandad of my best friend has a friend in Brazil that has his own mansion up in the rainforest. He created his own religion. Lots of artists go there. Lots!

I think 90% of all Brazilian musicians are deep into religion. I think some German Jazz artists from the 60s and 70s got caught up in religion too. Not their own though.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I think few took it as far as this man:

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Some Brazilian musicians. Was Tim Maia's Rational his own religious thing?[/b]

The grandad of my best friend has a friend in Brazil that has his own mansion up in the rainforest. He created his own religion. Lots of artists go there. Lots!

I think 90% of all Brazilian musicians are deep into religion. I think some German Jazz artists from the 60s and 70s got caught up in religion too. Not their own though.

No. Cultura Racional was created in 1935; Tim Maia was only a follower (?).

This dude (Maradona) is a football (soccer) artist, and he has his own religion

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Recognize the real...

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Universal Zulu Nation.

http://www.zulunation.com/

• D I P S E T

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    LOL

I was gonna say, its more than music...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

• its more than music...

If that's the criterium:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Religions pleez!!! NO CULTS.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    D I P S E T
    It's a movement.

THANKYOUTRYAGAIN.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

what's the difference???

• Arica Foundation
    Findhorn
    Arcosanti

I have a good mellow folk LP by Ron Chrislock, produced by the Eckankar group.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Church of St. John Coltrane

• girgir 329 Posts

what's the difference???

a religion is a system of belief. a member of a cult follows a system of beliefs (regardless of specific content) the same way one who practices [insert your favorite world religion here] might observe his beliefs.