warning (re: another bad dealer related)

2»

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I don't use the EX myself, though I have in the past. Theres times where a record is very damn near mint, with one or two super light markies, and I don't wanna sell myself short with VG+, so you gotta opt for an in between.

At some point the grading scale changed and my part of the country has yet to catch up...

Where I come from, VG+ is OUTSTANDING... near flawless... maybe a light surface scuff or two away from being NM... it always confuses me when folks here look down on VG+

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    also, a M- record to me is mint, there really is no such thing as a true mint record, unless its hot off the press, straight into a sleeve into your palm. Even if its completely clean looking, I'll still call it a M-.

ps. I'm a medium dude.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    also, a M- record to me is mint, there really is no such thing as a true mint record, unless its hot off the press, straight into a sleeve into your palm. Even if its completely clean looking, I'll still call it a M-.

ps. I'm a medium dude.

I'm witcha.

I mistakenly said "mint" earlier when I mean NM... in all collector dork arenas there is no true mint... once a human has handled it is less than mint

There's a cretin on ebay who calls every record he's selling NM... and when you get them there's scratches, fingerprints, STICKERS on the wax... when you bitch at him he says "I said in the description it was NEAR mint, not mint. If you had questions about the condition you should've emailed before bidding"

AVOID SELLER "FRESHWAX"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I use EXC.
    My key goes VG/EXC/NM. The EXC eliminates the need for any "++" business, and I don't use "mint" so it's a pretty simple standard. I have had people ask me "what the fuck is EXC" before, but I don't see it as being all that complicated.

• am i wrong in thinking that near mint should only be used on records that you know for a fact have only been played a handful of times?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    am i wrong in thinking that near mint should only be used on records that you know for a fact have only been played a handful of times?

No. I agree with that.

• Alright, here's my system and it works for me. Never had a complaint, and plenty of folks that have said "thank god someone knows how to grade."

NM = not a single mark. beautiful label, vinyl, pristeen, etc.

E = a couple light marks. Won't even show up except under extreme light (which, btw, if you don't use extreme light, STOP SELLING RECORDS.) Would be NM except to me, NM should be as good as new.

VG+ = some marks. Not bad by any stretch, not mint. A nice record. 99% of the records I get off ebay seem to be this way, despite being graded otherwise... grrrrrrr... see my comments on proper lighting

VG = not pretty, but should play really well and not be totally rinked. Very few if any "feelable" marks.

VG- = Pretty ugly, still should play alright though. I use this grade and when you are accurate it shouldn't be too bad, I've sold records for $$$ marked VG- because it's carefully explained what that means.

G, Poor, Used, Tossed, Skated, Etc. = self explanatory

• jonny, what is extreme light? in watts

• jonny, what is extreme light? in watts

Honestly I couldn't tell you, not knowing shit about wattage per se.... In my shop I use flourescent (sp?) lighting... at home, I just know by pulling out the record and looking at it; for instance, in one room with only a ceiling light it's one way, whereas when I turn on the ceiling light AND the halogen lamp in my living room I can see every little detail.

Basically, if you can see even the most minute paper scuff then you're probably ok.

• Are you m3rdstream? If so, I am quite enjoying the well-packaged Dexter Gordon set you sent me!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    What kills me is if you complain to paypal about the record being broken, they'll ask you to get a signed inspection from an expert or something.

Last time I even put a pic of the broken record (in half) with the complaint, saying it wasn't packed well. Didn't matter.

What am I supposed to do, walk into my local record store and say "can you sign this to verify this record, broken in HALF, isn't playable?" They'd laugh me out. over $40? fuck that.

People talk about it being too easy to get $ back from paypal but I've never seen anything back.

Time to write a last bitchy email and forget about it.

what if you claim it just never arrived? That's how I've been screwed with paypal. I think the small fib is justified in this case.

this would work as long as they had no tracking number. if don't have a tracking number w/ paypal, you're screwed and anyone can scam money back from you.

• Are you m3rdstream? If so, I am quite enjoying the well-packaged Dexter Gordon set you sent me!

no, iam not, iam the3rdstream on ebay, i just looked it up there is a seller called m3rdstream!

"Thats crazy![/b]

• Alright, here's my system and it works for me. Never had a complaint, and plenty of folks that have said "thank god someone knows how to grade."

NM = not a single mark. beautiful label, vinyl, pristeen, etc.

E = a couple light marks. Won't even show up except under extreme light (which, btw, if you don't use extreme light, STOP SELLING RECORDS.) Would be NM except to me, NM should be as good as new.

VG+ = some marks. Not bad by any stretch, not mint. A nice record. 99% of the records I get off ebay seem to be this way, despite being graded otherwise... grrrrrrr... see my comments on proper lighting

VG = not pretty, but should play really well and not be totally rinked. Very few if any "feelable" marks.

VG- = Pretty ugly, still should play alright though. I use this grade and when you are accurate it shouldn't be too bad, I've sold records for $$$ marked VG- because it's carefully explained what that means.

G, Poor, Used, Tossed, Skated, Etc. = self explanatory

of course dealers & shops are in the business of selling records so would never want to list anything as poor quality, but seriously, they should lay off the superlatives... surely a grading scale should go from good to bad, not from exceptionally good to good...?

i've never seen a dictionary where good = poor

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Beware buying from www.vinylmail.com. [/b]

Specifically requested a box, did not use one. Some $40 later I'm sitting with a broken LP. Seller could not give a flying fuck and wouldn't meet me halfway. Blows my mind that people who run a "business" will spoil their reputation over $20.

Not a whole lot of $, but had a bad rash of sellers shipping airmail without protection. I should have thought twice dealing with a guy who looks & talks like this:

Hi, my name is ANTONIO and by 15 years I work in this fantastic world, but only 5 on internet. Before to be a dealer of records I'm a collector of vinyl records, and before to be a vinyl collector I'm a great listener of each kind of music innovation. After many time I think let to know my thousands records at all international record collectors: SOMEONE, I DON'T KNOW WHO, I DON'T KNOW WHERE, SEARCH WHAT I HAVE. Is so that on my list can appear unknow name of artist; in this way I hope to give the possibility still to who don't collect only BEATLES & ROLLING STONES, to find many others artists.

I love how, on their main page, the icon for English is a half American/half English flag!

• WHOA! wtf? it aint even my business, but if you talked to me like that...well, nevermind.

I don't know you so why would I joke like that with you Delay? The important thing is the grading discussion. I really don't feel comfy using NM so if you have a problem with VG+++, I'll look into it, thanks.

As far as hating on my inventory, I found a niche that works. I sell old underground to mostly Europeans that I don't care about losing. Not a reflection of my taste. I don't have doubles of my good records so I usually keep them for myself. I'm just in it for the money anyway. Gives me cash to buy more records.

Who ever called me a lil' dude..............

I've only been in business for 2 months. You're gonna have to try harder than that to make me feel bad.

No ebeef here. Worry about your own drama.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have quite a few records to box up. Don't want to keep my clients waiting.