We all know what heat does to vinyl, but the cold?

bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
So, I'm curious if you all have experienced anything negative from keeping vinyl out in the cold temperatures. what it do, what it do?hollur.

Comments

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    my old dj partner left a crate in his trunk of his 85 monte carlo in the new jersey winter for one night....he was pissed, his masta ace joints got warped!

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

• Not 100% sure but think that extreme cold can make vinyl more brittle than usual, so be careful until they return to room temprature.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    So, I'm curious if you all have experienced anything negative from keeping vinyl out in the cold temperatures.

what it do, what it do?

hollur.

I don't think cold per se is a real problem, but I think fluctuations in temperature can be rough on sleeves.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i would think it would lead to condensation and moisture damage

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    My experience has been that cold won't hurt vinyl...I know of too many barns that have held records for 20-30 years in areas where it gets to -0F and I've never seen any damage.

Heat alone, unless it's over 140-150F shouldn't hurt an LP either, especially if it's stored upright.

Direct sunlight on the other hand will screw a record, on a hot day, in 5-10 minutes.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    My experience has been that cold won't hurt vinyl...I know of too many barns that have held records for 20-30 years in areas where it gets to -0F and I've never seen any damage.

Heat alone, unless it's over 140-150F shouldn't hurt an LP either, especially if it's stored upright.

Direct sunlight on the other hand will screw a record, on a hot day, in 5-10 minutes.

So if you stick your records in the trunk on a hot day they should be cool? Or could the trunk get up to those temps you mentioned above and lead to warping?

So if you stick your records in the trunk on a hot day they should be cool? Or could the trunk get up to those temps you mentioned above and lead to warping?

Exactly

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Exactly

So based on that I would assume that it's also not safe to keep records in your car under the seat on a hot day?

During the summer especially on vacation to the Midwest and East Coast I'm always worried about where to put records when I don't want to carry them around.

Exactly

So based on that I would assume that it's also not safe to keep records in your car under the seat on a hot day?

During the summer especially on vacation to the Midwest and East Coast I'm always worried about where to put records when I don't want to carry them around.

Strike 2

• I don't think cold per se is a real problem, but I think fluctuations in temperature can be rough on sleeves.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

I have left records in trunks on 90 + days and never had a problem. Left one in the back window and had a huge problem.

• Not 100% sure but think that extreme cold can make vinyl more brittle than usual, so be careful until they return to room temprature.

true, that Grandfalloon LP I was so giddy about last week is now broken I was just picking it off the turntable(after bringing it in from the car), it had a really tight spindlehole and SNAP! the fucker cracked all the way to the label...it should only take a few years to find another copy for $5....

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    As vinyl thaws it may thaw unevenly thus causing it to warp.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I don't think cold per se is a real problem, but I think fluctuations in temperature can be rough on sleeves[/b] .
    I'm currently experiencing this problem. The sleeves that I have (without shrink wrap) are starting to open up. Records are practically falling out the sleeve

• My experience has been that cold won't hurt vinyl...I know of too many barns that have held records for 20-30 years in areas where it gets to -0F and I've never seen any damage.

yeah, i have experience with leaving my record bags in the car on hot days and noticed that as long as they're nice and compacted, they're fine, but if they're left loose then a warping is what is in store for yas.

hollur.