Hardest, Funkiest end2end Gospel Record?

Comments

• Speaking of nice, raw gospel.....
    ya'll completely glazed over this one that I posted in the ...listening to thread, pfft.

Last Time
    http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=18PAZ08ZUIOAY2N2Z427Q8YLPC

file's messed up, goes in and out, and scrambled in parts

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Speaking of nice, raw gospel.....
    ya'll completely glazed over this one that I posted in the ...listening to thread, pfft.

Last Time

hmm, works for me. anyone else having problems? What are you playing it on?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Nate Look for that Michael Orr solo joint on Birthright for that smoothed out soul gospel

Spread Love but better

Dude, you are buggin'!

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Speaking of nice, raw gospel.....

Last Time

hmm, works for me. anyone else having problems? What are you playing it on?

it plays weird for me too, but it actually sounds cool...it sounds almost

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Nate Look for that Michael Orr solo joint on Birthright for that smoothed out soul gospel

Spread Love but better

Dude, you are buggin'!

Not better, just different. 'This is a message' is butter, though.

And out of the LP's posted up by 99problems/Jinx, the Artistic Sounds is start to finish the 'funkiest' LP.

'Give it up'? - Noice.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Spread Love but better

Dude, you are buggin'!

For all the hype I heard surrounding Spread Love I was really let down when I actually got to listen to it.

Michael Orr on the other hand I picked up as a random dollar find played it and enjoyed it so much more. on a mellow Sunday morning I think its a great end to end listen

• the Artistic Sounds is start to finish the 'funkiest' LP.

'Give it up'? - Noice.

Great record.

I've actually had a couple copies in my shop, first one sold quick, second one's hanging around. Could be because the new generation of gospel collectros are super trend-based and very specific in terms of what sound they look for (modern, sweet, small group, choir, lots of jesus, not too much jesus, disco, funk, etc)?

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    second one's hanging around.

Price, 'check?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    the Artistic Sounds is start to finish the 'funkiest' LP.

'Give it up'? - Noice.

Great record.

I've actually had a couple copies in my shop, first one sold quick, second one's hanging around. Could be because the new generation of gospel collectros are super trend-based and very specific in terms of what sound they look for (modern, sweet, small group, choir, lots of jesus, not too much jesus, disco, funk, etc)?

Post up a sound clip if you can. Once people know what the 45 sounds like, I'm sure it would fly, particularly round these parts.

• the Artistic Sounds is start to finish the 'funkiest' LP.

'Give it up'? - Noice.

Great record.

Post up a sound clip if you can. Once people know what the 45 sounds like, I'm sure it would fly, particularly round these parts.

LP, not 45, but it's gone now... SOULSTRUT FACTOR???

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Check out a christian group called AGAPE, they put out two or three records. The first two LPs are pretty heavy duty in the psych realm.

• Cosign on that Sons of Truth lp, it's so dope.

Is this a total 100% Listen?

Stax right?

Its on a Stax subsidiary Truth, I like every track on there myself. I wouldn't say its hard or funky exactly but a solid listen for sure.

I know I sold my copy to someone on here...was it you by any chance?

I like every beau williams record. not really "traditional" gospel but it definately has its religious overtones.

• this one is about 70% good throughout.

year of release is 81 but it sounds like it was made in 71.

Not "funky", but some really good nothern/deep soul style tracks.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Cosign on that Sons of Truth lp, it's so dope.

Is this a total 100% Listen?

Stax right?

Its on a Stax subsidiary Truth, I like every track on there myself. I wouldn't say its hard or funky exactly but a solid listen for sure.

I know I sold my copy to someone on here...was it you by any chance?

nope not me, I found mine at a record convention.

• How is that Violinaries?

You just can't go wrong with the Violinaries. Solid LPs...and yes, a lot of tracks are funky. I would have to say that the "hardest" gospel records IMO are the Dixie Hummingbirds "Christian's Testimonial" on Peacock and the first 2 Original 5 Blind Boys Of Alabama LPs on Veejay..."Old Time Religion" and "True Convictions." None of them being "Funky" but the wax might as well be made of gold.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    We have a mess of gospel 45s here in the shop. Guzzo came through and went through one crate of them last night, lemme know if there is anything in particualr anyone is looking for on 45 (gospel-related), we can make deals.

no bammer weed.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    How is that Violinaries?

5 Blind Boys Of Alabama LPs on Veejay..."Old Time Religion" None of them being "Funky" but the wax might as well be made of gold.

So true. I've played this LP over and over and over and over...man, just thiking about it, I wanna go home now and put it on the player

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    Everytime this, or a related topic, comes up, no one mentions this:

I've heard most of what's been talked about in this thread, and this is my favorite by far. Matter of fact, this is one of my favorite records period. Anyone?

Spread Love but better

Dude, you are buggin'!

For all the hype I heard surrounding Spread Love I was really let down when I actually got to listen to it.

Michael Orr on the other hand I picked up as a random dollar find played it and enjoyed it so much more. on a mellow Sunday morning I think its a great end to end listen

I'm surprised the original version let you down. Horses for courses I suppose. The gospel version is definitely "different".

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I'm surprised the original version let you down. Horses for courses I suppose. The gospel version is definitely "different".

the Spread Love lp has about 2 great tracks - the 'Book of Life' lp on Birthright might be a little slap-heavy for some though( 'some' including me).

• How is that Violinaries?

5 Blind Boys Of Alabama LPs on Veejay..."Old Time Religion" None of them being "Funky" but the wax might as well be made of gold.

So true. I've played this LP over and over and over and over...man, just thiking about it, I wanna go home now and put it on the player

I just moved into a new house the other day and I was playing this while unpacking. I just kept flipping it over and over. Both of my new roomates came in to see what it was after a while. Definitly a good record to listen to while reading, making dinner, or just trying to escape it all.

Everytime this, or a related topic, comes up, no one mentions this:

I've heard most of what's been talked about in this thread, and this is my favorite by far. Matter of fact, this is one of my favorite records period. Anyone?

Got it. Haven't listened to it in a long while, but remember it being pretty good.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    raer gospel funk (marcofunk related)

Anybody heard that one?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    The vinyl is in VG condition

what a bama

• no one ever mentions the j.c. white singers on zanzee either(yeah, the same zanzee), that is probably the most solid end to end funk gospel record.

but i agree with the choir on this thread... if your looking for pure funk, buy a funk record. with the exception of the ones mentioned and the metro-tones, most gospel Lps are one trackers from a funk perspective. gospel is good for what it is.

and thanks crink for rating my Jesus Saves comp

it is still available here.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    heres a list for the little, midlevel, advanced gospel diggers... and for those that just want to see cool covers...

Best of the Best (off my shelf right now):
    All the way through these are dope. Agree with me or not but these are the ones that ive dropped jaws with or lent out for sampling. Missing record: Aposento Alto.

Charles Williams ??? chris veltri put me down on the waiting list for this one. It happened one night while drinking beers and smoking bud at his crib a nickel back. Has been my top three favorite LPs since.
    Andrea Vereen ??? I put a few kids up on this but my homie Sean (trapdoor psych mix dude) played this to me first. Nasty all the way through. And what have I ALWAYS said??? two words??? LEE YOUNG. Say word!
    Shelton Kirby ??? funky jazzy soul with some crazy background vocals. I love it. Get their 45 with Zambezi??? a must have as well.
    Jerry Thomas ??? this dude is afro-fresh. Freal most cats wont dig this LP but for me it???s a great example of soul and gospel mixed together. Great great music. Title track is a winner.
    Spirit ??? WHAT?!?! That???s all im going to say. Outta the Tammy Records neighborhood.
    Eddie Robinson ??? chris veltri again! Dammit chris! On his Ren label like his publishing. This is a perfect soul gospel LP. mid to slower tempos. A beauty of a record.
    Eddie Robinson ??? myrrh. Everything he did was dope??? nothing else to explain.

Soul Liberation ??? creative arts. This shit got me open when I first heard it from none other than groove merchant chris veltri. Got in touch with dudes and they are equally as nice as their records???
    Soul Liberation ??? rainbow. Didn???t know this existed until I copped a few records from jacobweezy. As good as the first one. Im more impressed now then I was when I thought they only had one LP.
    Carl Bean ??? great soul tunes with a funky edge to them. Used one track for my gospel mix called Something for Nothing. Lee young and Arthur wright holding it down.
    COMPILATION Disco Hallelujah ??? everything you need on one LP. 8 dope tracks of funk and soul all from the abc/peacock/songbird labels. A must have.
    Nat Townsley ??? two covers for this one. A great mix of soul gospel and soul funk. Track for track dope.
    Metro-Tones inc ??? this has been so hyped and for good reason. Its HOT! Not a flaw. This should be loved by everyone.
    Artistic Sounds ??? blacks and whites jamming with jesus. Funky and soulful with male and female vocals.

Modern, Disco, Post ???78 Gospel:
    You didn???t know about Modern Gospel? Now you do??? Tenyu is the man whos been chasing this shit but heres a few you can work from.

Arnold Harris ??? okay okay the b-side has a couple church pieces but the a-side is heat! Great modern sound and superb beats.
    Children of Israel ??? local gospel that was unearthed by victor the Mexican. Ive broken a few kids off with copies but this is a great LP that I will forever hype!
    Sam Davis and the Gospel Ensemble ??? from Minneapolis Minnesota. My copy is WHIPPED so anyone with an extra please holler at me on the PM. Thanks!
    Kenny Lupper ??? gospel on the avi label is good. Don???t be nervous. Great funky tunes with some synths.
    Deliverance Ensemble ??? local modern gospel soul with a pre-TonyToniTone Dwayne Wiggins playing Bass.
    New World Generation ??? okay so its Bahai but its religious. An excellent record from start to finish for me. One token whitey in the black bahai folkers.
    Melvonne ??? ill modern soul, disco-y, and ballads out of Denver! One of my favorites.
    Don DeGrate Delegation ??? what I say earlier about avi gospel? Just do it! Moses Dillard is here playing guitar and producing. Great LP.
    Followers of Christ ??? wow! I love this record. Great vocals over some nice soulful beats. A must have and a new favorite of mine.

Funky, Psych, Rock Christian Music:
    White folks and black folks (and some Asians!) feeling the holy spirit over some nice beats!

Bobby Kent ??? white boy funky jazz xian with EW Wainwright
    Canadian Rock Theatre ??? funky canuck rock with soulful lyrics and some nice beats
    Crosscurrent Community ??? on the avant garde label. Funky jazz with some white boy singing.
    Children of the Day ??? maybe not ALL the way through, but this has three tracks on it that trip me out everytime. White family folky soul.
    Psalm 150 ??? funky white boy rockin soul. If I told you who they recorded with youd be SHOCKED! They even cover two of the tunes from that infamous intl LP.
    Chi Rho ??? ill psyched out rockin xian with a female opera singer and headnodding beats. Seriously one of my most favorite.
    Jose Feliciano ??? I???M TELLING YOU! I love this record PERIOD???
    Sonlight ??? funky rockin xian with one super nice soulful ballad.
    Sweet Revival ??? funky folky rockin xian with two whiteys and an asian dude.

Funky and Soulful Gospel that can have some ???Church??? moments:
    I mean that the music has that funk or soul to it but there are some songs that a gospel/xian fan will like but those JUST after that 70s soul or funk sound will end up tuning out.

Norris Turner ??? one side is funky with some nice slower soul tunes. The flip side is all choir-y and churchy preaching.
    Sensational Saints ??? super dope music. Great vocals and some funky moments.
    Dannie Belles ??? I love this record. Beautiful from start to finish. I play one of these tracks every time I dj??? like once a year. NOTE: Those that don???t like traditional gospel should not pick up Danniebelle Hall records. You wont like them very much.
    Crowns of Glory ??? this record is dope. Very soulful with eddie robinson producing.
    Biblical Gospel Singers ??? eddie robinson again! You can find him on those early 70s peacock and songbird label (blue and purple swirls are a good look). Willie Hawkins, james gadson, eddie bongo brown hang out and record??? F-R-E-S-H
    Sensational Williams Bros ??? become a lee young fan and youll never go wrong. Super dope soul gospel piece. I got jesus over here once a week and were toasting with his blood while this plays in the background.
    Tessie Hill ??? eddie robinson in 76 kills the production. Great soul and funky cuts. Boby Franklin is on this too.
    Sensational Cymbals ??? on the Jay-Walking label and a new favorite of mine. It???s a soul record on the music side but the vocals are raw and funky gospel. I think they have small label 45s out of the PA area.
    Henry Jackson ??? this dude rocks! His other records are equally nice. Gospel truth label is NICE! Gene barge and gene page help out in the studio while joe sample, wilton felder, paul humphrey, earl palmer and others help out with their instruments.

Funky and Soulful Gospel whose vocals are mostly ???Church???:
    Even though these have one nice funk track or one nice soul tune the vocals are mostly small group harmonies or large choirs. Great listens for those who love the Gospel sound but the Funk and beat heads aren???t going to be happy with a one tracker.

Bill Allums ??? real nice beats and some a killer soulfunky choir. Lives next door to Herm from the SF TKOs.
    Violinaires ??? that???s right I said it. Besides the one track that funks the fuck out this is a great Soul Gospel record with that gene barge sound. Every violinaires record is great listen all the way through.
    Lloyd Cannady ??? the album is called ???What???s Happening?... Soul Gospel??? and t hat???s exactly what this is. On the HSE label which has more straight ahead church music than it does funky soul music. The vocals on this one is what keeps me listening.
    Metters ??? big family and lots of voices??? feel me? The music is dope though. Raw and funky. ???Just for His Love??? is a great sing along tune with a dope beat. They also cover Love Train and its good. Out of Pomona California.
    Biblical Gospel Singers ??? one nice funky cut and some great vocals.
    Gospel OD Singers ??? mostly group vocals but some great bongo playing and funky beats underneath that singing.
    East St Louis Gospelettes ??? the ???ettes??? give you the knowledge that this is a group thing. Great through and through like the rest of their LPs.
    Art Reynolds singers ??? honorable mention! This has a late 60s sound for sure but their traditional vocal stylings work well over the music.

Traditional but with THAT ONE TRACK that is dope:

New Songbirds ??? gospel on Kris? I???ll Take Jesus is the track. Sensational singing, Don Pierce (???Funky Thing???) with the ill guitar styling over the hook. Simply put ??? Wow.
    Inspirational Souls ??? Pro/Josh B put me up on this. What???s Wrong with People is a perfect group soul tune. Beautifully done from start to finish with a time of 4:55??? its worth stopping the world for 5min trust me.
    Gospel Blenders ??? there are some okay trad. Tracks on here and then you get to the really dope soul ones inbetween??? Dark Clouds knocked me out while needle dropping this one and im glad I copped it. Out of PA and if there are other things by them please PM me. Thanks!

• Is that Metters the one with 'Cessy Stroot' on it????

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Wow--great post, J****n

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I like the Dannie Belles and dont care for much gospel. I reccomend it!