REP some HIPPIE / PSYCH movies.

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited January 2006 in Off Topic (NRR)
So far I have peeped Vanishing Point, Easy Rider and Girl On A Motorcycle.Rep some more I can czech.PAECE OLVE & UTYNI

Comments

• Psych Out
    The Presidents Analyst
    Celebration at Big Sur
    Riot On The Sunset Strip
    Strawberry Statement
    Head

• Zabriskie Point
    Psych-Out
    Cycle Savages (a personal favorite soundtrack here)
    Mary Jane
    Riot on Sunset Strip
    Strawberry Statement.
    Lots of others
    here...
    Hippie Movies

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

• Hippies gettin' offed:

• Here's a gruesome one I like. Hippies getting infected with rabis after they OD a farmer with LSD:

The following one is a movie by Jim van Bebber, the guy who did Deadbeat at Dawn. It's his take on the Manson story. Worked more than 10 years on it. Bought original 70's filmstock to get that right vibe and even mutilated the film material afterwards for full effect:

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

The Presidents Analyst

What an awesome movie.

• hare krishna hare ram - bollywood with good soundtrack about girl going to montreal and smoking hash
    joe
    the trip
    skidoo
    200 motels
    bummer
    the hippie revolt
    there's loads of italian ones but i can't remember the names
    wild in the streets
    more
    and don't forget flashback

more will come to me

• I'd recommend Barbet Schroeder's trippy Euro travelling film, MORE[/b] from the late 60s. With Pink Floyd soundtrack.

HELTER SKELTER[/b]

I've only ever seen the trailer for this Tiny tim film, You Are What You Eat[/b]. It looks pretty trippy.

There's a Bruce Dern film by an Aussie director called Thumb Tripping[/b] that is supposed to be pretty good.

Don't forget The TRIP[/b].
    Though this DVD release has the butchered versions...

Something Wierd have loads of that hippy type stuff. But i sense you might just want quality over shlock.
    Besides they never seem to care about what they put out. They just release any old shitty version.
    Mondo Mod is pretty dull... Never as good as the covers imply.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

bummer

Is that by any chance the one repped in Brainfreeze ?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Don't forget Zappa's piece of shit:

This movie is objectively bad. However, there is a funny story about the lead character. This movie stars Ringa Star. At one point during filming, Zappa got very angry and impatient and yelled out:

"THE NEXT PERSON TO WALK IN WILL BE THE STAR OF THIS MOVIE".

At that moment Ringo's limo driver came in, and subsequently became the star of the movie. Ringo's limo driver was also the boyfriend of my friends mom at the time.

• And I saw this film, ALEX IN WONDERLAND[/b] on tv when i was a kid...
    Never had a video release down here. I just remember it being odd.

Oh & this isn't to everyone's taste, it's a bit non-stop, but captures the era well.

• Well done on both selections...
    You've probably seen this one as well. They are never as amazing as you hope they should be, but still enjoyable.

• "joe"

people know the soundtrack due to the break, the movie is fucking hilarious. can't tell if it is pro or anti hippie.

• And Corman's last AIP film... (haven't see this yet)

Almost forgot Antonioni's ZABRISKIE POINT.

• Idiotproof, you know your movies.

I remember a movie I saw on TV when I was maybe 14. It was about an underaged girl who was left behind by her parents. The neighbors above her are hippies who throw parties constantly. The kitchens of the apartments are connected by a shaft of some sort and the girl peeps into the other apartment all the time and then she is given some LSD and she trips out. Girl was only 12 or something. Which one was that?

• Idiotproof, you know your movies.

I remember a movie I saw on TV when I was maybe 14. It was about an underaged girl who was left behind by her parents. The neighbors above her are hippies who throw parties constantly. The kitchens of the apartments are connected by a shaft of some sort and the girl peeps into the other apartment all the time and then she is given some LSD and she trips out. Girl was only 12 or something. Which one was that?

Idiotproof, you know your movies.

Yeah, records & films. That's about it...
    I'm fully into Italian cop films from the 70s... Loads are finally coming out on dvd.

Thought that was 'Butterflies Are Free' for a second...
    Nah, racked my brain... No idea...
    maybe a tv movie...

• definitely a trippy/psych rock essential....

and yeah, Zappa's 200 motels movie was complete shit. had to turn it off half way through.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    the hooked generation was filmed out here in miami
    id like to see if there is a soundtrack
    doubt it but would be nice

• killer sndtrk too

• One of my faves is "Musical Mutiny", featuring Iron Butterfly.

This site
    http://www.thevideobeat.com
    has a bunch of categories that fall into the "hippie" vein.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's from Beyond the Valley of the Dolls - or are you saying it also was in an earlier film?

• Yeah, I thought it was weird. I knew it was in Valley of the Dolls and quoted in Austin Powers and then I saw this trailer from presumably 1966/7 - obviously an underground film - with a guy entering a party and yelling the exact same phrase. I think it was a Andy Warhol film or (suposedly) set in his factory. Maybe it was just something people said at the time.

Sorry for the hijack, just nerding out on trivia.

• Fantastic Planet, or La Plan??te Sauvage, from '73. Not necessarily hippie but definitely trippin'. with the soundtrack, of course.