Sardines

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
"Sardines! Hey, and pork and beans!"

This has been remixed and covered a few times. I heard a pretty dope funk version of it in some mix a while ago. Not sure if it's the OG version or not. Who does this?

Comments

• parenparen 537 Posts
    junkyard band

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    OG funk from '86 on def jam...

I've heard the video got decent play at the time but I've never seen it...

• Did these guys drop any album?
    ???Word??? and ???Sardines??? are so ill they must have had other good ish.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i saw junkyard about 4 or five times when i grew up in dc. gogo was the sound systems around town, so them, rare essence, huckabucks, and ne groovers played at proms and homecomings at anything from freeknick type jams, to rich catholic school proms. i remember the last time i saw them at holten arms homecoming, the drummer got shot 2 nights before. luckily they still played. shit was live as fuck.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Did these guys drop any album?

Thats it for Def Jam

They put out lots since but only local releases, go-go style (i.e. live tapes/CDs, some 12"s)... good stuff but nothing that hits you in the gut like THAT single...

• tis go-go

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

there's a gang of live PA Tapes floating around, but i don't think they ever recorded a proper studio album or another record for that matter. at least if they did i never saw it amongst the six million go-go records i saw when i was livng in dc. dc digga probably knows but i don't know if he's around anymore.

but yeah "sardines" is one of the hardest songs i've ever heard in my life.

• This was the only release they had on Def Jam to my knowledge, but if i remember correctly my local store had another 12" by them a few years later on an indie label.
    Gotta say that this is my all time favourite Go-GO 12"...

• i saw junkyard about 4 or five times when i grew up in dc. gogo was the sound systems around town, so them, rare essence, huckabucks, and ne groovers played at proms and homecomings at anything from freeknick type jams, to rich catholic school proms. i remember the last time i saw them at holten arms homecoming, the drummer got shot 2 nights before. luckily they still played. shit was live as fuck.

Whats up t**? go-go was (is?) all about live tapes. what are the hot bands now? sugar bear rules, sexy mellow go-go.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i saw junkyard about 4 or five times when i grew up in dc. gogo was the sound systems around town, so them, rare essence, huckabucks, and ne groovers played at proms and homecomings at anything from freeknick type jams, to rich catholic school proms. i remember the last time i saw them at holten arms homecoming, the drummer got shot 2 nights before. luckily they still played. shit was live as fuck.

Whats up t**? go-go was (is?) all about live tapes. what are the hot bands now? sugar bear rules, sexy mellow go-go.

J*** Stalin!!!

fuck if i know, dude. i stopped paying attention after every ODB tack on KYS had a gogo version on 1280 the next week. I think NE Groovers still do they thing though.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i played a little set of gogo shit friday night in b-more, and dudes gave me the

• i played a little set of gogo shit friday night in b-more, and dudes gave me the

maybe you shoulda tried the recent b-more breaks remix of sardines by Tittsworth. Its not bad.

I got their promo pic when I caught this 12" years ago. Looking extremely young, were they in their teens when they did this?

$??

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i played a little set of gogo shit friday night in b-more, and dudes gave me the

maybe you shoulda tried the recent b-more breaks remix of sardines by Tittsworth. Its not good[/b].

I got their promo pic when I caught this 12" years ago. Looking extremely young, were they in their teens when they did this?

$??

• I tried to give delay a suggestion, and dude gave me the

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    haha.

no ice grill... i just dont really like that remix.

• haha.

no ice grill... i just dont really like that remix.

werd...lets squash this beef...

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    OG funk from '86 on def jam...

I've heard the video got decent play at the time but I've never seen it...

I seem to remember they had a scene in "Tougher Than leather" ?

Junkyard is pretty easy to find in the UK but not many people seem to know a great deal about go go over here. Any pointers in seperating the good stuff from the junk would be appreciated....?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    From washingtonpost.com:

BIO

Junkyard Band In 1980, a group of kids ages 8 to 11 living in a government housing project in Washington, D.C., were inspired to play music upon continually seeing performances of go-go bands in their neighborhood. Not having resources to buy traditional instruments, the kids scoured the "hood" to find what resources the could that would emulate real instruments. The resources they found obviously turned out to be junk - hubcaps, plastic buckets, crates, cans and old pots & pans. The group performed regularly in their housing project called "Barry Farms"; and after just a few performances they group was dubbed the name, "Junkyard Band."
    In the early ???80s (and at an early age for the members) Junkyard began performing on a regular basis as go-go music was increasing in popularity and the kids had perfected the craft of performing. The band played at go-go concerts, schools, recreation centers, for civic organizations, fundraisers and government agencies. The band also performed on the streets of Washington, D.C., which is its claim to fame. Junkyard undoubtedly became a tourist attraction which led to the band's appearances in a TV commercial and two movies - "D.C. Cab" with Mr. T and "Tougher Than Leather" with Run-DMC. The band's popularity led to a recording contract with Russell Simmon's DefJam Records.

Under DefJam, the band released its national hit single "Sardines". As young kids, Junkyard Band toured half the United States and regularly played major venues along the east coast including the Richmond Coliseum, John F. Kennedy Center, Capital Center and the world famous Apollo Theater. (Not amateur night but a show with LL Cool J) During this extensive performing and touring, the group matured from a novelty act to professional musicians. Along with the maturation came another level of performance with the band doing club dates on a regular basis and complementing the bill of national acts like Guy, Salt-N-Pepa, Tupac, Roots, Beastie Boys, Slayer and the like.

Since its inception, Junkyard Band has been a mainstay on the go-go music scene and has had enormous club success with its singles "Rippa Medley", "Ruff-it-Off", "Word" and "Loose Booty". With these hits and more to come, Junkyard continually creates music of the Go-Go genre and patiently awaits the nation's acceptance.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Junkyard released the following CDs/tapes after the Def Jam days:

Most of these are live shows. There are quite a few other PA tapes floating around.

Creepin' Thru Da Hoodz (Street JY2030) (December 12, 1995)
    Reunion 95 (Street JY2040) (November 8, 1996)
    Don't Sleep On Us (Street JY2020) (November 8, 1996)
    Go-Hard: But If You Don't Party Like That, Then... (Street JY2050) (November 16, 1996)
    Beginning-The End (EP) (Street JY2060) (September 21, 1999)
    Y'all Don't Understand (Future FTJ2002) (October 17, 2000)

I found these CDs here at the crib:

Go hard is a studio album. The band broke up for a while after the original drummer "Heavy One" died. They then got back together in like 93 or something. The original line up then split up in 98. Some version of Junkyard Band were still playing twice a week in D.C./Maryland as recent as last year, I don't know how many original members were in this line up....