40 Something Year Old 12" Virgin

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
As promised I took a shot at blindly picking up a few 12" singles to prove to myself I should just ignore those damn things. Problem is that there are so many of them!! Went to a Thrift today and grabbed a really nice private press hard rock LP called Fox & Company.....Records were 4 for a buck so I grabbed what looked to me to be 3 of the more interesting 12" singles. Now you guys can tell me just how lame they are.....nasty comments expected and somewhat welcomed.

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Fox & Company looks cool.

Nothing too out there with the 12"s. Chantal Curtis is pretty classic. Don't know Tune Wizard 12" though. Funny sticker.

Inform me on Elderberry Jak LP.... picked it up during the week.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Inform me on Elderberry Jak LP.... picked it up during the week.

West Virginia band...original 1st press is on Electric Fox from 1970....'77 "bootleg/tax scam" on the Album World "Forrest" label. Original goes for about $75.....boot for about $20 and it's been re-issued within the last few years on CD.

• Chantel Curtis "Get Another Love" (i think you might have scanned the flip) is a really nice, but cheap, single. The last one is a Will Crittendon production. He made a great free jazz/improv LP in his hometown of Milwaukee on the Raynard label before going to NYC (and later Toronto I think) to produce a seemingly endless stream of disco boners on his own labels ..

dont know that middle one, looks pretty weird. you definitely got the right 'look' for the 12s already, but just like the LPs/45s, there are a million 'indie'-looking records that are actually fairly common and vice versa a lot of major label ones that regularly grab 2-300 on the bay.

BTW, i'll finish that order for the shop with you sometime this week!

Chantel Curtis "Get Another Love" (i think you might have scanned the flip) is a really nice, but cheap, single. The last one is a Will Crittendon production. He made a great free jazz/improv LP in his hometown of Milwaukee on the Raynard label before going to NYC (and later Toronto I think) to produce a seemingly endless stream of disco boners on his own labels ..

dont know that middle one, looks pretty weird. you definitely got the right 'look' for the 12s already, but just like the LPs/45s, there are a million 'indie'-looking records that are actually fairly common and vice versa a lot of major label ones that regularly grab 2-300 on the bay.

BTW, i'll finish that order for the shop with you sometime this week!

The flip on the Chantal is "Moody".....the Tune Wizard one is indeed strange as the cover is one of those old textured Folkways/Library type jackets with a hole die-cut in the center!! This one sounds the least "Disco-like" to my tin ears.

• At a quarter a piece, you should probably be picking up every 12" in the spot...not much of a risk there, my friend.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    At a quarter a piece, you should probably be picking up every 12" in the spot...not much of a risk there, my friend.

the japanese love this and will buy this for a few bucks or more

not raer but flippable

keep an eye out for p&p, cloud one, small private 12"s from 1983 and earlier, electro, moder soul, etc

it's not difficult once you learn the labels, etc

what's tougher is figuring out which major label 12"s go for $. Start with chicago - street player, fonda rae - over like a fat rat, etc and like Keni Burke keep on risin' to the top

-M

haha this is reminding me of the time in P*****, A*i.

I still have that Magabrain 12", lol

SELL SELL SELL

• Options

Jenny Costa has been djing clubs forever on Long Island, but I didn't know she's been around THAT long? Was she around back when you were bartending around here Rich?

Jenny Costa has been djing clubs forever on Long Island, but I didn't know she's been around THAT long? Was she around back when you were bartending around here Rich?

I was gone by '79 but that name doesn't ring a bell.....have you ever heard of a band called The Supersuds Of Rhythm??? They were the house band at the Disco I worked at in Oyster Bay. Apparently they were still playing up til a few years ago.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    endless stream of disco boners

• Options
    I was gone by '79 but that name doesn't ring a bell.....have you ever heard of a band called The Supersuds Of Rhythm??? They were the house band at the Disco I worked at in Oyster Bay. Apparently they were still playing up til a few years ago.

Nah, Supersuds of Rhythm doesn't ring a bell either. Oyster Bay had a little record shack though, right near the center of town in the back of a commuter parking lot. Been shut down for awhile now.

Nice town, good seafood, but that's where Billy Joel lives so you gotta watch your back on the roads at night.

Nah, Supersuds of Rhythm doesn't ring a bell either. Oyster Bay had a little record shack though, right near the center of town in the back of a commuter parking lot. Been shut down for awhile now.

Nice town, good seafood, but that's where Billy Joel lives so you gotta watch your back on the roads at night.

I know the little record shack....was run by a nice older gentleman and I scored some nice stuff there over the years...he even took me to his garage that was packed with vinyl. There used to be a book store in Glen Cove that I used to score at but when I was there in March it had closed. Infinity in Massapequa used to be good but the last time I was there it was obvious he had been bitten by the ebay bug. I remember an "Oldies" shop in Farmingdale but it always sucked....Nutty guy in Baldwin had some stuff years ago(Memory Lane)....Mr. Cheapo sucks and the BEST store on the Island, Titus Oakes closed years ago....anything worth visiting in Suffolk??