new year's eve gig stories

DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
anyone have any stories from their NYE gig?i played a new lounge here in asbury park. it was pretty much their kick off party. i played mostly deep funk, soul, and rare grooves. now i brought some classic hip hop, but only 2 reggae records. this guido comes up to me, rips a $20 bill in half, and says:"play more reggae so i can dance with these girls, you'll then get the other half"so i played dawn penn and barrington levy. guido gets his grind on, comes back and gives me the other half. only on new year's eve.....

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    excellent

• i dont have any specific story about my gig, but lets just say I generally hate people at these things.

• played in downtown boston, outside!!! rain, snow, whiskey and mad fun...was on the local news, got to shout mom dukes..lotta work but worth it.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    i dont have any specific story about my gig, but lets just say I generally hate people at these things.

NYE brings out a lotta folks who ain't used to handling their swerve.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I had this killer gig lined up out in LA and a week and a half before NYE I get a call from some local dude that wants to throw this big shindig. I told him straight up that he would have to double my fee to keep me home and he did it! He is caked up for sure. Now here is the kicker, it was his party HIS way. He told me what to play and made it very clear NO rap or hip hop. I told him for an additional fee I could get my promo team on the job. He declined that offer, you know he is gonna do it HIS way. Well bottom line is HIS way sucked. The place was fucking huge. Almost puts any night club to shame! I counted no more then 20 people there through the course of the night and the 5 girls that were there wanted "Something we know" or "Something fun to dance to". I was instructed to only play 80's or House and nothing else at all. So the girls hated it but danced anyway. Everyone else left and it was a fucking big time flop. No joke, I overheard him talking to a guy at the end of the night and he said he lost $100K! I had him pay me 50% deposit because I had never worked for him before and I thought if he trys to get over at least I have 100% of what i was gonna get in LA. He said "accounting" will cut me a check on Tues morning. Here we go....... Bottom line is his event sucked and the best part about it was in all his ads he didn't use my name or pic, it just said "A dj will be spinning". Lol. I don't really want my name affiliated with his crappy event. Guess it doesn't matter as I made my dough. However, playing in LA and having an after party at the Standard on Sunset with some latina jail bait would have been the move.

• played recs at my house. learned how to use a cdj. spankrock latenight afterparty. bedtime. peace

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    No real story, just did an hour, 11:15-12:15 it ended up. little room was packed, good vibes! strictly hiphop.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i played the craziest house party i have ever spun before.

the turntables got bumped, no jolted, more times than i can count. at least 60 times. i was lucky if the record playing didnt skip in order to do a little mix.

a girl literally fell on the decks, knocking them over. props to the other DJ for catching the table and not having everything hit the floor! i ended up doing security detail in front of the turntables at one point, pushinig mufuckas away when the crowd swayed toward the table.

the only power outlet was a shitty little 2 prong joint with a ground lift attachment that was old as fuck and had holes bigger than the grand canyon, so the power strip kept getting knocked out and the music died. happened probably 10 times.

there were more people shoved in that apartment than i could imagine. people were grindin there ass off.

the cops came at 1:15 and broke that shit up. i was actually a little glad they came!

i had a blast! happy new year!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i dont have any specific story about my gig, but lets just say I generally hate people at these things.

i do as well. another girl came up while fucking the godfather of soul was on. she goes " can you play something we can dance to?"

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I played New Years day in Brisbane with my crew + guest + fellow Soul Strutter "down_beat" (Cal, from the UK)... we dropped all kinds of shit and people were starting to get into it... Cal played some serious funk45s, I don't think anyone noticed or cared, but they were definitly starting to get into the groove. Good fun in the Aussie sun!!

Hope ya'll had a good new years guys!

peace.

• i dont have any specific story about my gig, but lets just say I generally hate people at these things.

i do as well. another girl came up while fucking the godfather of soul was on. she goes " can you play something we can dance to?"

This one dude got beat up at my party for telling this chick she was the dumbest person he had ever met.

not the same chick that slipped and fell right by the speaker and grabbed onto it on the way down.

• while i was dj'ing last night.... it was kinda wack actually.

• I DJ'd a rock show with an excellent, top shelf rock band: The Joint Chiefs and a couple of shitty "I-wish-I-had-a-pencil-so-I-could-shove-it-in-my-ears-so-I-wouldnt-have-to-listen-to-them" bands: King Louie and the Loose Diamonds and The Preacher's kids...but I got to kiss my girl at midnight and I got to play Sir Lord Baltimore, Van Halen and Icredible Hog records really loud, so it wasnt a total loss.

• I DJ'd a rock show with an excellent, top shelf rock band: The Joint Chiefs and a couple of shitty "I-wish-I-had-a-pencil-so-I-could-shove-it-in-my-ears-so-I-wouldnt-have-to-listen-to-them" bands: King Louie and the Loose Diamonds and The Preacher's kids...but I got to kiss my girl at midnight and I got to play Sir Lord Baltimore, Van Halen and Icredible Hog records really loud, so it wasnt a total loss.

At Will's?? I didn't know you were in orlando... I was there too, did we meet? I was out back smoking a joint with a buncha people in the band before the JC's went on. Some british guy gave me a cup of vodka & ice from the limo, that just about put me over the edge.
    Almost

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I had a party at my house - managed to get out of "spinning" for the 30 people in my apartment, but I did run the CD player.

Selections that went over well:

EPMD - Strictly Business
    Them - Story of Them
    Kool G. Rap - Killah Kuts
    Dave & Ansel Collins - Heavy Heavy Monster Sounds
    V/A - King Funk - had some heads getting down to "Butter Yo Popcorn" by Hank Ballard

It sucks being single at my age (mid-30's) cause when I have parties, all my friends come as couples...hello, can some of your girlfriends bring some friends or something??

I passed out around 4:30, with the sound of 5 guys trying to out-holler each other about the Boston Celtics still going strong in my kitchen.

Woke up at noon to find people passed out on every chair and sofa,
    and also that my roommate had already cleaned the entire house by herself

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I forget to mention that the gig did also, had a "band". It was all 40-50 year olds really trying to relive their hayday. The best part was when the lead singer came out and (no joke) was dressed exactly like Dave Chappell when he does his Rick James skit! he was dead serious too, and I thought he was trying to be funny. Wish I had a pick.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I ended up going to see two of the better NZ rock bands play, The Datsuns & The Rock & Roll Machine, I was on the doorlist so it was free & actually kinda fun, it wasn't really packed & was a weird crowd of holiday-maker type people but the bands both rocked hard. The most eventful thing was some drunk dude spilt ketchup on my jeans on the way out so I pushed him down the flight of stairs, then his girl proceded to yell obscenities at me, big deal.

• I forget to mention that the gig did also, had a "band". It was all 40-50 year olds really trying to relive their hayday. The best part was when the lead singer came out and (no joke) was dressed exactly like Dave Chappell when he does his Rick James skit! he was dead serious too, and I thought he was trying to be funny. Wish I had a pick.

The audience was probably just as on new years as it was in their heyday.

At Will's?? I didn't know you were in orlando... I was there too, did we meet? I was out back smoking a joint with a buncha people in the band before the JC's went on. Some british guy gave me a cup of vodka & ice from the limo, that just about put me over the edge.
    Almost

no, it was in Memphis, different Chiefs...I suppose the name the Joint Chiefs for a band has a long lineage...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The most eventful thing was some drunk dude spilt ketchup on my jeans on the way out so I pushed him down the flight of stairs.

I had to stop at a McDonald's during a roadtrip through Indiana. One of the clerk's gave me ketchup instead of B.B.Q. suace. I shot him in the face.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Played at a nicely sized nightclub that was having a drum'n'bass event. Top floor dnb, bottom floor had a small room where me and my friend played some house, disco and techno.

Nothing much to tell except that it turned out that the big name for the evening (Marcus Intalex) became so (physically) ill that he couldn't play at all and was stuck at the hotel. Dudes who were throwing this dinger were super bummed and ended up apologizing to the crowd. Don't know if they gave any refunds or not but overall it was a decent night so everyone got their money's worth I thought.

• Since my friends laptop was the source of music and he ripped most of the songs on it from me i guess it was me playing after all (also i was tampering with the playlists, hehehe)

Choice cuts:

Casco
    Mikael Ramel "artificiell prana"
    Three 6 mafia "bin laden"
    Dangerdoom "crosshairs"
    Pete Jolly "seasons"
    Blaq Poet "a message from poet"
    Sos Band "finest"
    Duke Lake "do you" (inst.)

People was mad drunk and i was mad stoned, nuff said

/L

• Around 1 AM, after placing a Van Buskirk LP on the turntable for the four stoned dudes in my living room,
    I went to my back porch with a bucket of hot water and cleaned up
    the mouth mess that young Meatyogre had recently left for me.

I showed him where to rest his weary head and continued with the grass and LPs in the living room.
    This continued until about 5 AM.

This was my gig.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    mouth mess

thats awesome.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    a really drunk guy walked up to my booth and ordered drinks.
    I told him allright and just continued spinning.
    It took him at least 5 minutes before he figured out I wasnt fixing his drinks..

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    just got a link to some pics from the party:
    packed

thats me in the back with the tan hat on guarding the decks

not 1 but 2 trucker hats in the same pic. awesome.

anybody else got some pics?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Our shit was packed and really fun. Getting to DJ with Cosmo and Joe at The Rub instead of having to do some corny shit by myself + the most money I've ever made DJing = best New Years ever. Don't have any good pictures so here are some crappy ones.

NYE brings out a lotta folks who ain't used to handling their swerve.

cosign

• I dj'd with Quantic and a some homies. We all murdered it. had a lot fun. danced till 4. played all a lot of disco and latin. my boy kero and noelle from rebirth got onstage and did a lilltle imprompt thang-a-thang.

the best NYE i've ever had. didn't even get sick/hungover

• numericnumeric 152 Posts
    Around 1 AM, after placing a Van Buskirk LP on the turntable for the four stoned dudes in my living room,

I went to my back porch with a bucket of hot water and cleaned up

the mouth mess that young Meatyogre had recently left for me.

I showed him where to rest his weary head and continued with the grass and LPs in the living room.

This continued until about 5 AM.

This was my gig.

Your Chatuea has seen many a celebrity guest vomit.....you should produce a collection and sell it as a book entitled "mystery earl".

90 % dannys.........10% here....listen to this......