how do you buy NEW releases?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
CD or vinyl? for a while i was doing both, depending on how bad i wanted it and what format was more avaiable, and sometimes id just buy stuff i already had on vinyl on cd or vice versa, but lately ive just been buying strictly CD's of new releases...also if i do buy a reissue of something old i kinda prefer having the cd, because most likely the record was mastered digitally anyway so what difference does it make?wondering what you dudes do, doodddddddalso, for some reason i really want Beauty and the Beat on vinyl now, if for nothing else just to have a bigger version of that cover.

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    for new stuff it depends, I'll usually buy vinyl if it's readily available. If it's a reissue or comp of old stuff I prefer CD, not sure why, I guess I only like having original vinyl pressings. I'm a nerd like that.

• Only vinyl. I never really got into CDs. I had records as a kid, and i always preferred them. I'm probably missing a lot of music but I'm OK with that. There's always the internet.

That's my vote for me. I say use whatever suites you.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Patented Soulstrut answer: "Who buys new shit?"

That being said, even if I did buy new shit, I would buy it on CD. Vinyl is only fun when it's old.

• we fuck everything

we fuck everything

Brutality best blackmusic

• redundancy.

redundancy.

a gay tot and a eurotrash hiphop site?

• ALL LUV

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Vinyl, with money.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i only buy vinyl

havent bought a cd in about 5 years now

• Mainly vinyl, only buy CDs if that is the only format available...

• Strictly vinyl.
    If its not on vinyl I download it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I only buy CD's when I get gift cards for Barnes & Nobel on xmas.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Vinyl for new shit. Dl the cd.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Depends......I just copped Dee Dee Bridgewater's new album on CD today. It wont come out on vinyl.

• Options
    Latin Rascals Beauty and the BEat label???

K.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I prefer records because I can burn 'em onto cd but not visa versa, plus I like the aesthetic better (labels, covers, ect.). I usually get a cd if it's cheaper though.

• Most of my vinyl passes the "will I play this at a gig"- test.

If it is something I plan on rocking on the ipod but not play out, I will grab the cd.

I rarely buy cd's unless I can't find it on itunes. Most of the times it is mixtapes I will get on cd.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Latin Rascals Beauty and the BEat label???

K.

I'm guessing Ako is talking about this:

• been buying mostly vinyl since i started to dj a couple of years ago. i still buy cd's, but it almost seems like a waste since i know that whatever i get on vinyl i can just get digitally for free somewhere on the internet.

things may change now, though. i just got serato for the holidays and i'm wondering how my consumption habits will change now that i have this fine piece of equip.