Famous "hip hop diggers" stories.

124»

Comments

• Be careful though - like Saddam Hussein he has multiple doubles that he hires to fly around the world buying avant garde records. You may have met one of these doubles.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Thurston Moore is everywhere.

about five years ago there was this lp art show in NYC - thurston moore had like a 20 by 30 wall of utterly rare avant lps - all with black & white only covers. it was sick.

• about five years ago there was this lp art show in NYC - thurston moore had like a 20 by 30 wall of utterly rare avant lps - all with black & white only covers. it was sick.

Here's a link to a review of that show.

http://www.artnet.com/magazine/features/saltz/saltz6-20-01.asp

Some images of the gallery view, some of the covers included, etc. Its a really good essay, reprinted in J. Saltz's book, "Seeing out Loud," if ya'll are into some art criticism.

(first post. raises hands, leaving body exposed for flame-shots.)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Thurston Moore is everywhere.

My friend used to live in Northampton, Mass, and has a few Thurston Moore stories, as he lives there most of the year.

His funniest story is about when Thurston Moore came to a yard sale my friend was having. They were selling this big box of old tools, like old garden tools and shop stuff, etc. Thurston was really into this stuff, going through the box and admiring all the pieces - he said to my friend, "Wow, this stuff is really cool -
    I use things like this to play my guitar and get amazing sounds out of it..."
    My friend, a little starstruck and just a nice guy in general, was like, "You can just have it, man!"
    Thurston was like "Thanks," and as he was loading the box into his truck, said, "Hey, you know - we're playing a show in town tonight - "
    My friend is like, "yeah - I'd be down to check that out!"
    Looong pause, and Thurston climbs into his truck and says,

"Cool - I'm pretty sure you can still get tickets for it..."

...and drives off with a wave.

So, we can count on Thurston to register 2 weeks from now just to log on and call me "mousey"

• leaving body exposed for flame-shots

ayo!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Sometime last year while I was in TSL, I saw Amir.
    That's all.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Zhang Zi Yi! Zhang Zi Yi!

ya know. I actually sat next to her table 2 weeks ago at a Yum Cha spot over here, I have to say, she is one ugly woman in real life.

so skinny and pale her face is yellow-ish.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    When is Matt Dillon goin to son someone?

I was just wondering, how has soulstrut survived this long without a Matt Dillon graemlin?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Zhang Zi Yi! Zhang Zi Yi!

ya know. I actually sat next to her table 2 weeks ago at a Yum Cha spot over here, I have to say, she is one ugly woman in real life.

so skinny and pale her face is yellow-ish.

I'm saying - I NEVER understood why people thought she was hot.

Now Gong Li or Michelle Yeoh on the other hand?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

NOW we're talking !

I heard Gong Li has attitude problem though...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

NOW we're talking !

I heard Gong Li has attitude problem though...

Oh, I'm sure she probably does.

Michelle Yeoh, from people I know who know her, is supposed to be a total sweetheart. As is Maggie Cheung (I can't believe I left her off that list).

• One hot day in the summer of last year, i happened to go by "Cosmo Records" here in Toronto...For those of you who dont know it's a famous spot for "Celebrity Diggers" to shop and not only that, just people that are looking for heat..Its a dope spot..Regardless i remember walking in seeing All of Stones Throw fam and Dj Numark in the spot..pretty cool experience! And then hearing "Egon" and "Numark" discussing a record that "Numark" found..and then i just heard him say "Yeah this is the joint i used to sample "Schoolyard"...

your more then likely to see a lot of big names in "TSL"..i remember hearing that Q-tip ran up in there and heard a song he did a while back (Cant remember the name but it was almost like a reggea track as someone described) and was like "Woah do you guys have this, i dont have a copy" but then they told him that it was just a song they were playing off a compilation! He then left the store kinda upset...i always wondered why Q-tip would have his own records, only to remember that dudes house burnt down and was forced to start "The Q-tip Foundation"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Ah, jockstrapstrut...

• Who's Edan? Let's get back to legitimately famous people like Afrika Bambaataa, not pencil dicks off the Stones Throw label.

New Jersey

last year

Q-Tip

coppin some disco joints on a hip hop excursion

on his celly talkin bout sneakers

Hackensack?

• about five years ago there was this lp art show in NYC - thurston moore had like a 20 by 30 wall of utterly rare avant lps - all with black & white only covers. it was sick.

Here's a link to a review of that show.

http://www.artnet.com/magazine/features/saltz/saltz6-20-01.asp

Some images of the gallery view, some of the covers included, etc. Its a really good essay, reprinted in J. Saltz's book, "Seeing out Loud," if ya'll are into some art criticism.

(first post. raises hands, leaving body exposed for flame-shots.)

This was my first post. Nice reup on this thread.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    most 'celebrity diggers' seem to be cheapskates - on some 'I'm record-world famous, give me the records' type shit.

I was diggin with Cut Chemist in Cologne two weeks ago. He was supercool and very reasonable with the prices he paid, cause the shop had some high prices. I hipped him to a cool German semiraer record while I found the Winstons LP as a German CBS pressing in mint (never seen before). That was nice.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
     "TSL"..
    This.  I would always see some "famous" person there.  My favorite was Warren G filling up boxes of records.

Oh... and I've dug with Diplo a couple times.  Does that count?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Not my finest hour in this thread. I don't know Edan/sorry Edan!
    kicks79

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts

In the late 90s early 2000s I used to live near the Sydney record institution that was Discovery Records.
    Pretty much every hip hop Dj used to be brought there when they toured.
    I've been browsing the aisles and seen Melo-D, J.Rocc, D-Styles, Cut Chemist, DJ Shadow and Peanut Butter Wolf all in there at one time or another.
    Jealous that they used to get taken upstairs to the "dealer's only room".
    I was in mad fan boy stage back then and never tried to talk to them. I was just geeked that these guys where in my local record store way out in the burbs of Sydney.

I also bumped into  Muro once in Disk Union in Shinjuku. However knowing that he can't speak english very well and I can't speak Japanese didn't bother to say what up.