Reissue vs. Original ????????

13»

Comments

• I might be .. .....but if the band is on and the music is great I'll deal with a little noise. But for sound quality I always feel that 45's have the sound that feels like the band is right there in the room.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I have the OG eddie fisher & the first hundred years lp--listening to it right now.
    has kind of a "raw sound" to it--engineered by oliver "booty bump" sain. not sure if the intentions were to be as raw as at is. the bass and guitar come out the most--the drums sound a bit pushed in the back.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Its the toys who fuck around with these things - who wants a 12" cd? Just go and buy a cd. This is some make believe shit for people who need to feel hip. "look at me!" "I have a record!"

Most of the shit that local stores have Scorpio reissues of, they don't have on CD, only vinyl. Much of it isn't on CD anyway, at least not readily - or legitimately - available. And, Scorpio reissues cost about half the price of the CD. Having said that, I avoid them as much as possible, and I won't buy Funky Delicacies shit at all. But sometimes I just grab a cheap reissue of something I don't have any real hope of finding in my lifetime - it's not much different than downloading anyway, except there's $7 involved and I get a record.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    What fatback wrote above is the straight dope & most reissues out there, like those made by scorpio, are not made like that. They are mastered from cd's. You're getting a shitty reproduction. That is the emperor's new clothes. Its the toys who fuck around with these things - who wants a 12" cd? Just go and buy a cd. This is some make believe shit for people who need to feel hip. "look at me!" "I have a record!" You want to hear some music? turn on a computer & check out something called the internet. There's some free music there that will match the quality of your scorpio reissue lp. But then, you couldn't pretend to be a collectro.

why do you feel CD's are better? I mean, what's the difference?

I have the OG eddie fisher & the first hundred years lp--listening to it right now.
    has kind of a "raw sound" to it--engineered by oliver "booty bump" sain. not sure if the intentions were to be as raw as at is. the bass and guitar come out the most--the drums sound a bit pushed in the back.

With the reissue it's probably a combination of a cheap pressing and an original muddy mix that makes it sound so awful. I just got tired of getting outbid on that record, and I can't go tossing $75 around all that often.

I'll probably find an original now, because so many times when I buy a reissue I end up finding the OG 6 months later

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    But sometimes I just grab a cheap reissue of something I don't have any real hope of finding in my lifetime - it's not much different than downloading anyway, except there's $7 involved and I get a record.

exactly.

the few reish's I have that are not audiophile quality are of $100+ records that I'll either never find, or will one day spend money on.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    What fatback wrote above is the straight dope & most reissues out there, like those made by scorpio, are not made like that. They are mastered from cd's. You're getting a shitty reproduction. That is the emperor's new clothes. Its the toys who fuck around with these things - who wants a 12" cd? Just go and buy a cd. This is some make believe shit for people who need to feel hip. "look at me!" "I have a record!" You want to hear some music? turn on a computer & check out something called the internet. There's some free music there that will match the quality of your scorpio reissue lp. But then, you couldn't pretend to be a collectro.

wait wait! i did not write that. pasted from:

http://www.classicrecs.com

"behind the scenes"

(sorry)

"and now for all you cats out there, those real heads?

Here's a shitty reissue of Eddie Fisher's
    Jeremiah Puckett[i] for y'all.

Dig."

the audiophile people have it down. but they pretty much stick reissuing to Blue Notes, Prestige related and classical jawns.

most of that $10 shit you find on DGA is pretty crappy. sadly, I have too many titles like this holding me over until I hit the fleeees 2morrow. i love you 2fuckingmorrow.

dozes off with fingers crossed

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Between a cd & a scorpio reissue there is no difference - its the same shit. the reissue may be even worse because scorpio has no quality control. Their shits are often warped. so why buy the reissue if your not a working dj & don't have serato? i dunno? If u can post here, u can find the mp3 on line. seems like a waste.

• Yeah, it's all about the music... Except if you want to be taken seriously in the world of "diggers" who dj. At least to some degree, you know? And what about mixes? I've got some really cool music on reissue. Would soulstrut feature a mix that had reisues in it? Cause if I were to make a serious mix, it seems like it would have to be all OG. Not that it makes so much differense to me. But you gotta live up to the standards of the s if you wanna get heard in the 06.

i just love the two dudes with with their hands on their mouths. dude on the right has a nice mini-combover. and the dude standing is sporting a nice pre-vintage 97 Polo oxford.

thank God I'll never end up like that.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

"and now for all you cats out there, those real heads?
    Here's a shitty reissue of Eddie Fisher's
    Jeremiah Puckett[i] for y'all.
    Dig."

• I personally like reissues. Yeah of course I'd like an OG of Mulatu of Ethiopia or whatever. But I'd way rather have a dozen 50 dollar pieces that personally meant something to me. There are so many dope records under 50 dollars its mind boggling. Having triples of Headless Heroes or whatever doesn't really impress me Rey. Having taste and knowledge does. I think alot of these dudes that are just chasing the same 20 records are trying to impress others sometimes. Why? At the end of the day the bread and butter records (Curtis/Impressions, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, James Brown etc.) are better then any raer one tracker italian library boogie private press blah blah blah..... I love it when people claim they'll never buy a reish. Oh I'm just waiting til the day I find a Soul Expedition or Turner Bros out in the field...yeah keep waitin cuz that day ain't never gonna happen.

This is what I'm saying to dudes. You can find 99% of records one way or another for under $50 if you are patient. The $1000 records, chances are you won't find them anyways. It's 2005 and nobody is running into a dozen Turner Bros. Just pick up a reissue or listen to MP3s and don't worry about it. The quality might not be great, but what do you expect for $8.99 (or free for mp3s)?

The "same 20 records" phenomenon is totally true. New collectors are after these things and they don't even know why.

Oh yeah and headless heros is a boring album. I have a reissue