Mad Scammers on Craigslist (NRR)

smallchangesmallchange 202 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Not totally off the subject, but was selling an old Cell phone and assorted electronic gizmos on craigslist recently. I've gotten like 4-5 responses along the lines of...
Hello thanks for your mail,and i will like to teil you that i can onley pay you through money gram express payment cos i have regester with them so if you know that you relly want to selle your item for me pls send me your name and address so that i can go for the payment right away cos i want you to get your money intime okayTHANKSSusan
they then send you some email from USPS,where it looks official, with a 'xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-5346' type of CC number at the bottom and everything. It even has this in it:
***ATTENTION***The order has been APPROVED, you CAN NOW ship the merchandise to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment within 48 hours of recieving this Payment Confirmation Notification and get to our Costumer/Technical Dept. with the tracking number for Shippment Verification.The Money OrderSM will NOT be dispatched or get to your resident until the shipment has been verified. This measure is taken in order to protect both seller and buyer interests and to reduce the occurrence of fraudulent activities.
However when you look closely at the address is says [email]usps_@consultant.com.[/email] I alsolike the part that, in order to 'reduce the occurrence of fraudulent activities', I have to ship my goods out BEFORE I receive payment. Anyways they're all over craigslist so be warned. If you sell there deal locally, which is what they advise anyway.$??

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    there is a similar one with motorcycles. If you are selling. You will get tons of responses where a person wants to buy your bike, but they want to pay you more than what you are asking. They will send a phony bank cheque and you then are then supposed to send them the bike (along with the extra amount of money that they paid over). So in theory, if this were to work, a scammer could potentially get your bike along with extra cash.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    a scammer could potentially get your bike along with extra cash.
    ...not a bad idea!

• there is a similar one with motorcycles. If you are selling. You will get tons of responses where a person wants to buy your bike, but they want to pay you more than what you are asking. They will send a phony bank cheque and you then are then supposed to send them the bike (along with the extra amount of money that they paid over). So in theory, if this were to work, a scammer could potentially get your bike along with extra cash.

That happens with any item if you're asking over a certain price for it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I get weird ones all the time.

I put a mixer up like two months ago (Sold it 2 days after being put up) and just got this the other day.

"hello

am a dj and my mixer is faulty i need this item quckly glad to inform you thatam intrested in it so i will give you $30 ahead of the giving price to end the advert and get back to me with your full contact for me to start the payment.

thanks."

The only reason I use Craiglist is to be local and have people come pick up the item and pay in cash.

I hate getting people asking to pay by other means and to ship it... And I won't!

My gurlfriend was looking for an apt awhile back on craigslist and she got a poorly written email saying plz send the money now and you can have the apartment and I will give you one month free. The problem was they would never say where the apt was and wanted payment first... Yeah ok... Are people really that stupid?

Tons of post on the list are straight up shady. I see tons of post by people who get burned who are now pissed all the time.

Watch out...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Uhh.... Man, I wish I could hit people upside the head...

Need advice re possible Xbox 360 Scam

"I don't want to name and names yet, but someone who advertised on Craigslist selling an Xbox Premium for $399, took a $100 deposit several weeks ago. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday, nothing arrived. Again today, it hasn't arrived. It's 1:30 a.m. and my 9 year old son will be up in about 4 hours, expecting that Santa brought him what he asked for - an Xbox 360. All I know is I have to have one here by 4:30 a.m. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I tend to trust people, perhaps too much. Thanks,"

And from the many scams I've read on Craigslist... Why don't people know by now that whenever the word "nigeria" comes up to just walk away?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

"I don't want to name and names yet, but someone who advertised on Craigslist selling an Xbox Premium for $399, took a $100 deposit several weeks ago. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday, nothing arrived. Again today, it hasn't arrived. It's 1:30 a.m. and my 9 year old son will be up in about 4 hours, expecting that Santa brought him what he asked for - an Xbox 360. All I know is I have to have one here by 4:30 a.m. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I tend to trust people, perhaps too much. Thanks,"
    just tell him there's no such thing as santa, and that you got to make some real world movez... sheeeit.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Buying your 9 year old an Xbox 360 is already nagl:.

Related aside: I can't believe that 2/3rds of kids 18 and younger have a TV in their room. That's just fucking crazy to me.

Uhh.... Man, I wish I could hit people upside the head...

Need advice re possible Xbox 360 Scam

And from the many scams I've read on Craigslist... Why don't peo
    ple know by now that whenever the word "nigeria" comes up to just walk away?
    :