New Uniao Black

JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone heard this yet?

Comments

• Well, they liked it over at Dustygroove, so it has to be good!

Uniao Black -- Banda Uniao Black . . . LP . . . $11.99 (Item: 403944)
    Commonfolk (UK), 2005 Condition: New Copy View Cart
    The long-awaited return of Uniao Black -- one of the greatest Brazilian funk bands of the 70s, sounding better than ever here with some great raw production! The record's easily some of the best work the group's ever done -- and although current, the whole thing's got a searing sound that almost even blows away their key 70s work for Mercury -- a groove that's heavy on the bottom rhythms, and snaps along with more of a deep funk approach than the group ever had! A few tracks feature some nice keyboards in the mix, and the group's horn section is as tight as they ever were -- but even more interesting is the fact that the album was done in collaboration with Brooklyn's Embassy Sound Productions, which probably accounts for some of the deep funk touches. Tremendous work all around -- and an instant classic you'll gladly stock next to your Samba Soul gems from years back. Titles include "Tudo Azul", "Yeah Yeah Yeah", "Everyone's A Winner", "Cris Vacilou", "Been So Long", "Escorpiao", "Astral", and "Na Palma Da Mao".

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    if it's anything like the trio mocoto comeback albums, I will be pleased.

• Just got it and I dig it!!!

• Just heard this myself and its great. Why is that Brazilian groups can not do an album for over 20 years and then come back firing on all cylinders? I'm thinking these guys and Trio Mocoto. Are there any US groups whose comeback albums are as good as their old stuff?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I totally dig this album. I like the Got to Get Your Love-esque intro on Been So Long.

Brazilian revival =

DJ Ferrari

• any US vendors for this on LP...dustygroove is just down to CDs and dont wanna pay for it in pounds sterling from jazzman....

• the guys behind the new uniao also produced the new joe bataan recordings...cool dudes...one has a great new saturday night party in nyc...he's been djing soul/funk/latin in nyc for ages...i used to go to his parties when i first moved here in 2000. and his partner does the killer brazillian party with greg caz in billyburg every sunday.

anyways, i guess they are the kind of producers who like to find these legends and get them back in the studio but NOT update their sound and fuck it up but rather get them to get back into the old funky sounds that kids love today.

i haven't heard the new uniao but i'm sure it's dope. and my friend played drums on the demos which they then used to bring to brazil for the band to learn the tunes. pretty cool.

• any US vendors for this on LP...dustygroove is just down to CDs and dont wanna pay for it in pounds sterling from jazzman....

Forced Exposure is carrying it.

• the guys behind the new uniao also produced the new joe bataan recordings...cool dudes...one has a great new saturday night party in nyc...he's been djing soul/funk/latin in nyc for ages...i used to go to his parties when i first moved here in 2000. and his partner does the killer brazillian party with greg caz in billyburg every sunday.

anyways, i guess they are the kind of producers who like to find these legends and get them back in the studio but NOT update their sound and fuck it up but rather get them to get back into the old funky sounds that kids love today.

i haven't heard the new uniao but i'm sure it's dope. and my friend played drums on the demos which they then used to bring to brazil for the band to learn the tunes. pretty cool.

Who are these guys and were do they DJ in NY?

• ok, i'll be more specific...Daniel dj's at subtonic on saturdays, Sean dj's at Black Betty on Sundays. both parties are dope.