SALINAS - ATLANTIS LP

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I thought this was an LP by the rock group Atlantis, but it wasn't.

Anyone care to drop some science on this thing? DG's review is !-laden as always:

"Fantastic album! We know very little about Daniel Salinas, and this record's a stunning batch of keyboard grooves that have a lot of Brazilian tinges -- in a way that's similar to Deodato's best work for CTI. The set includes the track "Straussmania", which has some awesome electric piano, and a very "2001" feel -- plus other nice ones like "Baiao", "Song For a Helping Hand", and a cool cover of Donovan's "Atlantis". Tough to find, and although issued in the US on Cadet, this is the super-rare Brazilian gatefold pressing!"

I bought the rest of those doo doo records this weekend and it almost made me puke.

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I love that album, but I don't think it's for everybody. It's one of those joints that you probably need to listen to for yourself before dropping big $$$ on it. To me it sounds like something that the dude who produced Rotary Connection and early Minnie Riperton might've had a hand in (Charles Stepney, is that the right dude? I have early Alzheimer's, please forgive). Lots of strings if I remember right. I think a lot of the songs sound good then go off onto kinda weird tangents- which is probably why I never played anything off of that lp on any of my mix joints.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I just pulled this out last night. Pretty good lp. "Straussmania" is def the best cut w/ some nice electric piano. 1 or 2 more cuts that are pretty good the rest IMO is Heavy strings and lackluster arrangements hold it back.

If anyone needs a copy PM me.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Very good LP... Does not pop up as much nowadays, but does sell well...