Albert Ayler - Holy Ghost Box Set

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Just saw this in the store for the first time. Any have this? A bit pricey, but it looks interesting. Thoughts?

Comments

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    The artwork and packaging is worth buying it alone.

• The artwork and packaging is worth buying it alone.

true. i got it as a gift last year, and would highly recommend it.

• I got it from my dad last christmas and I still haven't listened through the whole thing, which is a bit embarrassing. But of the top of my head disc 6 is the best (so far). The recording from Coltranes funeral and a 1968 concert with Pharoah Sanders is on there. Powerful stuff.

I'm always appreciative of nice packaging, but I wouldn't spend $5 on a nice package let alone the asking price of $100. That's always just a bonus. It's all about the music for me.

Anyone else have thoughts about the music? I'd be interested in hearing more before deciding to drop the $ or not.

The Coltrane funeral recording sounds incredibly interesting. Is all the box set music unreleased or is it a combination of previously available and newly available tracks?

Thanks.

I'm always appreciative of nice packaging, but I wouldn't spend $5 on a nice package let alone the asking price of $100. That's always just a bonus. It's all about the music for me.

Anyone else have thoughts about the music? I'd be interested in hearing more before deciding to drop the $ or not.

The Coltrane funeral recording sounds incredibly interesting. Is all the box set music unreleased or is it a combination of previously available and newly available tracks?

Thanks.
    well it all depends on how big a fan you are of his music. if you're a big fan, then it's a no brainer, you'll love it. if you're so-so about his music, then you probably won't like it as much.

oh, and the last disc is a bonus interview with ayler, don cherry, and i think a couple other people i can't think of at the moment.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    On the subject of Albert Ayler:
    Y'all should check out this new documentary by Kasper Collin called "My Name Is Albert Ayler". Highly recommended. Keep an eye out for it in the docu film festivals.

http://www.mynameisalbertayler.com/

• that looks great. I hope to see it rentable soon. I would love to see that. It's a new documentary?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    that looks great. I hope to see it rentable soon. I would love to see that. It's a new documentary?

I'm pretty sure it was released in 2005. Don't know if it will be rentable. Kasper Collin was at the showing I attended, introducing the film, answering questions and selling posters. You should contact him through the website for info on a possible DVD release in the future.

• On the subject of Albert Ayler:
    Y'all should check out this new documentary by Kasper Collin called "My Name Is Albert Ayler". Highly recommended. Keep an eye out for it in the docu film festivals.

http://www.mynameisalbertayler.com/
    ah, i heard about that earlier this year. still very much looking forward to seeing it.