Smooth Jazz is the next level.

anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Smooth Jazz is the next level. Why, you ask?Firstly, let me say we are talking about genres in terms of good titles and good tracks. Not a bunch of garbage.When talking about raers and private label records the next level genre is always the records people previously thought were crap... Let's face it, Disco 12" Singles, Private New Age, Private AOR and Singer Songwriter ( this shit is red hot in Japan ). Everyone thought that these genres were crap. You passed em', I passed them, whatever.I know a dealer in Houston who is... or was a pretty major dude in the record thing and he sold a massive promo record pool lot of Disco to a buyer in Panama for 5 cents a record. I know the records were deep because I saw the 5000 peices of Rock and AOR 12" crap he kept from it. Keep in mind this was 8 or 10 years ago.Next is obscure Smooth Jazz ( and of course late 80's soul and 80's gospel ).For me personally, I like this shit and have been going straight to the mellow tracks on late 70's Jazz and Jazz Fusion records for years.Teruo Nakamura, Rising Sun on Kitty label out of Japan has a deep ass 12 minute jam.I got some Marina Del Rey private secret squirrel shit.The Smooth Jazz thing is international, just like prog records. Some of the deep shit is from Europe and Japan.I once heard a jam on the radio show KXLU Night Flight when I was 17 years old or so ( nearly 20 years ago ) that I really dug. Some mellow live performace with a sax and bongos just jammin smooth for like 15 minutes. It was hot.The reason Smooth Jazz is next level digging is because of the fact that aging breakheads and funkmiester folls need to mellow the fuck out the collection at age 35 to 50. It happens all the time ( Private Folk, Private New Age, Traditional Jazz, Jazz Vocals, Easy ).So get started ( I am already a few hundred deep ).SMOOTH JAZZ. And I'm not talking about John Tesh or Kenny G. ap

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    damn. and i was just getting up on my soft rock game.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    You said it. Let's see 6 months from now.

• Options
    Does that mean Places and SPaces is raer groove again?

K.

• Does this mean I should start stockpiling the Sting album with 'Fields of Gold' on it?

oh and [censored] was asking me when all his Jerry Garcia Band tapes are going to be worth money. i told him to PM you (ap).

• You should be recording the Sting for Jaguar commercial on VHS and dead stocking that shit. Fields of Gold is minor compared to that shit.

• That's it I am buying every Earl Klugh jawn i see... Gonna corner the Klugh market.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Spyro Gyra and Narada records for dayz??!!

It would make sense, but I'm still a non-believer...

• PRIVATE LABEL [email]SM@@TH[/email] JAZZ.

earl klugh suks on a hairry kiwi fruit dood.

• 'Spyro Gyra - Morning Dance' will be the equivalent of Headless Heroes in this brave new world.

• im talking about raers dood.

not commons.

spyra gyro dude? that's like talking windham hill to a private issue new age collector.

KENETTH JENKINS DBA SUCCESS

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That song (not the album) by Spyro Gyra is actually pretty fucking sweet.

• That song (not the album) by Spyro Gyra is actually pretty fucking sweet.

werd tha fuk UP!

• PRIVATE LABEL [email]SM@@TH[/email] JAZZ.

earl klugh suks on a hairry kiwi fruit dood.

edited for decency

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• allright then fuk you guyz. ill go play by myself in the corner with my obscure smooth jazz lp. mark my word on this one you batches!

• REMOVE THAT PICTURE OF THAT GUY WITH THE KIWI FROM MY THREAD. NOW!!!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm not funnin AP, I used the 'got it' graemlin for a reason, I'm witcha on DBA Success...

Kenneth Jenkins -- Kenneth Jenkins dba Success . . . LP . . . $3.99 (Item: 35942)
    Pacific Arts, Early 80s Condition: Very Good+ View Cart
    A great little album of slick fusion tunes with an R&B edge. Kenneth is a bassist, and he leads a group of west coasters that includes Mark Isham, Carlos Alvarez, Steve Keller, Paul Fox, and Joe Villa -- through a set of tunes that kind of takes a late 70s Crusaders approach, touched with bits of the big hit fusion on CBS, like the work of Eric Gale or George Duke. The writing's all pretty great, though -- and the tracks have some good hooks and nice dark moments to keep things from getting too slickly polished and snoozy. Tracks include "Fine Time Fo Dis", "Brighter Day", "Samba Dis, Samba Dat", and "The Dreamer". (Cover has a cut corner.)

• OK GOOD. now how about the group AMBIENCE... the later albums... AMBIENCE 2 with black and white photo of sopprano sax dude. any sax player who throws his head back when soloing is alright by me.

RAD.

• 3.99 is too cheap. i get $8 to $20. its rad.

• OK GOOD. now how about the group AMBIENCE... the later albums... AMBIENCE 2 with black and white photo of sopprano sax dude. any sax player who throws his head back when soloing is alright by me.

RAD.

I'll raise you an "ebun".

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    radd

• orange cover one with gida gida has a smooth jazz track called there is a love. shit is solid. marcofunk bought it.

• "spyra gyro dude? that's like talking windham hill to a private issue new age collector."

thats a great quote! loved it!

naw I hear ya on the smooth jazz tip, if only I could deal with actualy listening to that shit. but yeah, its an untapped goldmine. i agree holmes.

• i dont know you but your name is complicated and radd. dude heres the problem. dont trust me. its all crap. i take it all back. delete the post! no one buy this joint.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    OOF. I just sold a lot of two private smooth jazz lps for 50 bucks last week on ebay. I could not get into them.

• titles dude?