Colbert Report > The Daily Show? (CCR)

2»

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Meanwhile, Rob Cordury is really killing shit at TDS but man, those new correspondents? WACK. They make Ed Helms look genius by comparison and Ed used to be the new, awkward kid on the block.

I can remember the exact moment I became an Ed Helms fan. He was doing a piece on some dude in Arizona who wanted to legalize carrying concealed guns in bars. So Helms--with perfect deadpan--says, "Well, it only makes sense. Alcohol causes problems, and guns solve problems." Classic.

• i dont even thinks stewart is funny, i remember him from his mtv days and he was never that good then either, making fun of bush is way to easy and not very imaginative, and thats all stewart does

I think Stewart's improved by leaps and bounds since MTV. Never found him funny then.

However. Making fun of Bush is why people watch him, I'm sure inside he's dying to do some imaginative performance art that might be more your speed

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts

??

• slushslush 691 Posts
    colbert flubs his lines more... but you gotta reckon that he is more talented. dude holds down the show by himself with no correspondents. All stewart has to do is open his eyes real wide and stare blankly after an absurd news clip. Im not knocking Stewart, but on the "daily" he doesnt really have to do much accept stay on his toes when interviewing boring celebrities.

the "Dead to me" board is my favourite. new york intellectuals. bears.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Stewart is a master of timing. He doesn't have to overact or put on a character to be funny or interesting. I like the Colbert report but, lets face it, he's playing a character while Stewart is basically himself. The way he reports actual news or dredges up some lost blurb from a politician is both hilarious and informative and its for that reason why the Daily Show has gone from 24 minute comedy show to a source of news that even networks, news journals, and respected columnists have began to take seriously.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

i dont even thinks stewart is funny, i remember him from his mtv days and he was never that good then either, making fun of bush is way to easy and not very imaginative, and thats all stewart does

If someone else was in power he'd be making fun of him. That's part and parcel of talk shows. Letterman, Leno, back to Johnny Carson, you make fun of whoever is president.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    the Daily Show has gone from 24 minute comedy show to a source of news that even networks, news journals, and respected columnists have began to take seriously.

the acceptance of the form being lampooned is a poor measuring stick for the success of satire.

• has anybody ever seen colbert be himself?... i would like to see an interview or something with him when he isn't "on"

also, how could he have done all those interviews over the years on TDS without getting punched?... do they tell the people that they are going to make fun of them or are the people really that clueless?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    has anybody ever seen colbert be himself?... i would like to see an interview or something with him when he isn't "on"

I read one interview when The Report was just about to hit airwaves where Colbert wasn't in character. He's a really guarded guy and seems (understandably) to carry some demons from his upbringing, including the plane-crash death of his father and two of his brothers.

He also occasionally breaks character to respond to criticism of TDS/TCR--usually criticism of the "TDS/TCR is just part of the massive overarching liberal media bias that seeks to destroy the president and everything we hold dear!" variety. He drops the schtick to point out how what he does is a schtick and responds with some variation of, "Look, we just satirize what's out there. If this thing didn't happen, we wouldn't be using it as material." He seems to get really, really irritated when people don't understand that principle.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    has anybody ever seen colbert be himself?... i would like to see an interview or something with him when he isn't "on"

also, how could he have done all those interviews over the years on TDS without getting punched?... do they tell the people that they are going to make fun of them or are the people really that clueless?

He just got interviewed a week or two ago on Fresh Air on NPR. Funny guy. Talked about how he wanted his show to be different from the Daily Show and how hard it was to keep up with what was going on with the real political talk shows which he's trying to lampoon since he was workingo n the show 12-14 hrs a day. Made a lot of funny wisecracks.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, Colbert was not in "Colbert" character when he was on Fresh Air (side note: Terry Gross LOVES Colbert. I know she can be biased in her interviews, but she was fawning over him).

And I don't think Stewart is a raw comedic talent but have you seen him handle his shit during interviews with contentious folk? Stewart is fucking awesome, and I don't just mean how he embarassed that assclown Tucker on CNN. His recent interview with O'Reilly was solid too considering how difficult it is to rope Bill in.

Like others, I don't think "The Colbert Show" will ever achieve the kind of cultural cache that The Daily Show has simply because they're two different shows. I LIKE BOTH and frankly, I think it's great that we have two shows back to back to even debate over.

That's the win-win.

He just got interviewed a week or two ago on Fresh Air on NPR. Funny guy. Talked about how he wanted his show to be different from the Daily Show and how hard it was to keep up with what was going on with the real political talk shows which he's trying to lampoon since he was workingo n the show 12-14 hrs a day. Made a lot of funny wisecracks.