paper VS. plastic (bag related)

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
i prefer paper. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    i prefer paper. peace, stein. . .

No offence stein.......but this is a no brainer man, plastic and paper is straight fuckeded

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    paper.

this may be the definitive NRR post.

• I'm a plastic bag guy. Especially the shitty grocery store kind.

Cause I figure they take up not much space cause if you melted them down they'd be the size of a dime or something. So there's lots of space for dimes on Earth, right?

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    I drinks a couple of litres of beer every night......i take em unbagged, I shop.....I wrestle my shit home unbagged. When I BIG shop, I take my own organic cotton bags.

Bags are good cause they carry shit, but can yall see yourselves working without a bag? commiting yoselves to some hardship and thus saving my planet?

Plaese to fuck a bag........

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    I'm a plastic bag guy. Especially the shitty grocery store kind.

Cause I figure they take up not much space cause if you melted them down they'd be the size of a dime or something. So there's lots of space for dimes on Earth, right?

......yum ninja

• I drinks a couple of litres of beer every night......i take em unbagged, I shop.....I wrestle my shit home unbagged. When I BIG shop, I take my own organic cotton bags.

Bags are good cause they carry shit, but can yall see yourselves working without a bag? commiting yoselves to some hardship and thus saving my planet?

If you really cared you would take those plastic bags, melt them down, grind them up, and re-seed hurricane damaged beaches with them. Think about it, they're just like really thin pieces of sand. Nobody says sand is bad for the environment, right? Noooo. But have you ever tried to make a bag out of sand? Right. No good. So that's why we need to eliminate sand.

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    I drinks a couple of litres of beer every night......i take em unbagged, I shop.....I wrestle my shit home unbagged. When I BIG shop, I take my own organic cotton bags.

If you really cared you would take those plastic bags, melt them down, grind them up, and re-seed hurricane damaged beaches with them. Think about it, they're just like really thin pieces of sand. Nobody says sand is bad for the environment, right? Noooo. But have you ever tried to make a bag out of sand? Right. No good. So that's why we need to eliminate sand.

I know your yoinking my cock, but for real I like earth and dedicate myselve daily to the preservation of this planet.

So......fkuck a bag, what yall got a wimp arm? Exercise your crook......

• I know your yoinking my cock, but for real I like earth and dedicate myselve daily to the preservation of this planet.

Ever so gently. With lotion.

Seriously though, why couldn't plastic be turned into sand? Aside from the silica content differences, why would it matter? Sand is non-nutrient. At best it acts as filler. Why not plastic?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Paper! I hate those fuckin plastic inner sleeves with a passion.

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    I know your yoinking my cock, but for real I like earth and dedicate myselve daily to the preservation of this planet.

Ever so gently. With lotion.

Seriously though, why couldn't plastic be turned into sand? Aside from the silica content differences, why would it matter? Sand is non-nutrient. At best it acts as filler. Why not plastic?

"Plastic

Consider the familiar plastic bag. These single-use, high-density polyethylene bags are manufactured from petroleum, a nonrenewable resource. It's estimated that nearly 12 million barrels of oil are required to make the 100 million plastic shopping bags Americans go through annually. Plastic bags have captured more than 80 percent of the supermarket and convenience store packaging market at a cost of $4 billion to U.S. retailers annually.

Worldwide, between 500 billion and 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed each year, according to resusablebags.com, a website launched to educate the public about the true costs associated with the use of disposable bags.

Paper

Of course, the trail of paper bags starts in our forests. In 1999, 14 million trees were cut to produce the 10 billion paper grocery bags used by Americans. It's not surprising that most people prefer paper, believing it is the more responsible choice. Yet, like plastic, paper puts a heavy burden on the environment in terms of production, consumption and disposal.

Manufacturing paper bags requires virgin timber (for greater strength and elasticity), which is processed into heat-treated wood chips. This creates numerous byproducts that pollute waterways and produce greenhouse gases, which are consequently absorbed by fewer trees. In fact, according to the Film and Bag Federation, a trade group within the Society of the Plastics Industry based in Washington, D.C., paper bag production requires more energy, generates more solid waste, produces more atmospheric emissions and releases more waterborne wastes compared to plastic grocery bags.

Advocates of paper bags point out that trees are a renewable resource, but it takes years to replace the old, biologically rich forests that are harvested to make them."

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

• edubedub 715 Posts
    plastic when I'm just getting a few things from the coner store, and if I need to jam it into my messenger bag - paper if I'm doing the stock-up trip to Trader Joe's

• "Plastic

Worldwide, between 500 billion and 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed each year, according to resusablebags.com, a website launched to educate the public about the true costs associated with the use of disposable bags.

Paper

Advocates of paper bags point out that trees are a renewable resource, but it takes years to replace the old, biologically rich forests that are harvested to make them."

Which leads us to conclude that grocery bags should be made from baby seal skin. Problem solved! No harmful emissions, renewable resource. Ta da!

Seriously though I think about this shit when I'm cramming 900 little plastic baggies into the garbage can. ALthough I have noticed several large chains that collect the bags for recycling.

• I know your yoinking my cock, but for real I like earth and dedicate myselve daily to the preservation of this planet.

Let's get this straight. This planet does not need preservation. Humans do. The planet will long be here and renew itself once our destructive ass selves are gone.

ez.

• I use plastic then recycle 'em.

Problem with paper (except at whole foods): no handles...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    paper so i can recycle them for the outgoing records.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I bring my own fucking bag, now that I think about I don't really go anywhere without my timbuk2 bag. It would be like my trunk if I drove a car, but I don't, I ride a bike. If I don't, for some odd reason, have my bag I get paper. I then donate them to the local co-op so they don't have to buy them.

Fuck a grocery bag.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Paper! I hate those fuckin plastic inner sleeves with a passion.

Co-sign like shit.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Fuck a grocery bag.

indeed. i take bags from home and re-use those.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Have you ever tried to suffocate someone with a paper bag? I say PLASTIC.

• Let's get this straight. DJ Day does not an Australian hippie to jock him constantly. Grafwritah already does that.

• I bring my own fucking bag, now that I think about I don't really go anywhere without my timbuk2 bag. It would be like my trunk if I drove a car, but I don't, I ride a bike. If I don't, for some odd reason, have my bag I get paper. I then donate them to the local co-op so they don't have to buy them.

Fuck a grocery bag.

and thanks for the stats flunk

• Fuck a grocery bag.

indeed. i take bags from home and re-use those.

I find that they chafe. Watermelon, now that's what I'm talking about.

• Let's get this straight. DJ Day does not an Australian hippie to jock him constantly. Grafwritah already does that.

If he only wore pink striped shirts...

• Have you ever tried to suffocate someone with a paper bag? I say PLASTIC.

You smash them down and twist them into a rope and wrap around the neck.

Have you ever tried to suffocate someone with a plastic grocery bag? They always rip - much too thin. Now those thick Target ones, that's what I'm talking about.