edited December 2005 in Strut Central
real or not?

peace, siro...

Comments

• real?
    peace, stein. . .

• real?
    peace, stein. . .
    yeah, you know skeptics, believers, HOLLER.

peace, siro...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Holler?

• Holler?
    yeah, it's in the "let me know" vein.

peace, siro...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Aaaight? Why not?

• Aaaight? Why not?
    exactly.

nah for real though, i know a girl who swears up and down that her aunt was once posessed by demons and had an exorcism to "save her". i'm still a bit of a skeptic. just wondering if y'all got any stories or thoughts on the topic...

• errr Turetts Syndrome

• William Friedkin canned Lalo Schifrin's original EXORCIST soundtrack music.

"He hated it," Bud Smith (Friedkin film editor) reports, quoting, "'Get that shit out of my movie!' He took the roll of [sound] film, took it out in the front of TODD-AO, right in the street and just threw it into the parking lot and he said, 'That's where that fucking music belongs. In the parking lot.' And that's the honest-to-God's truth."

Friedkin's evaluation of the music reflects distaste and betrayal.

"It was big, loud,scary, wall-to-wall, accent, accent, a guy picked up, accent, accent," he says. "I don't like any musical accents. It pained me to do it, but I would rather have Lalo Schifrin denounce me on the front page of the Los Angeles Times every day for the rest of my life than use one note of his score in my picture."

- from HURRICANE BILLY by Nat Segaloff

Friedkin was gangster, so is Schifrin, Al Pacino is a pussy for disowning CRUISING, and if you show me someone who believes in exorcisms, I'll show you someone who's still expecting the easter bunny to deliver them a whole bunch of candy because Jesus walks like Kanye said he did.

And let's talk about the Amityville Horror. Get a decent exterminator and home improvement contractor and you don't have a ghost story, you have a typical episode of THIS OLD HOUSE.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The one that the film is based on supposedly happened in my sleepy little town, Mount Rainier MD.

From strangemag.com: web page

Emphasis on Blatty???s inspiration for The Exorcist intensified after the novel was released in May 1971, went to the top of the best-seller lists, and began receiving movie offers from Hollywood. The first of many major publications to consider Blatty???s literary sources was The New York Times, which weighed in with an article by Chris Chase on August 27, 1972 titled ???Everyone???s Reading It, Billy???s Filming It.??? The article chronicles how director William Friedkin became involved in the project and touches upon the fact that Blatty based his novel on a local story of demonic possession that he learned of while attending college. Soon after the movie achieved worldwide success, Blatty released the book William Peter Blatty On The Exorcist From Novel To Film (New York: Bantam Books, 1974) and filled in the gaps on how he devised this literary project. He writes that as a 20-year-old English Literature major at Georgetown University he spied an article in the August 20, 1949 Washington Post (Bill Brinkley, ???Priest Frees Mt. Rainier Boy Reported Held In Devil???s Grip???), that told of a 14-year-old Mount Rainier, Maryland boy who had been freed by a Catholic priest of possession by the devil through the ancient ritual of exorcism.[/b] For years the notion of demonic possession stuck in his mind though he failed to incorporate the information into his work product.

Creepy.

• Fordham University lore says the Exorcist bedroom sequences were filmed in the attic of Hughes Hall and were all supervised by Jesuit priests. After the movie was filmed, the priests administered an ancient cleansing ritual on the whole building to purify it from any evil invited when making the film. I met a girl who lived in half of the room where it was filmed, I say half of the room becuase due to a housing crunch the room got split in half. She said they told her that story when she first moved in on some, welcome to your home away from home type shit. Freaked her out, she says that she had had weird dreams and that she'd hear noises and see lights at times that were extraordinary. I don't give her too much credit because she was off her rocker and it was a college dorm, she did have some great, soft breastesess, and I would get her to play out scenes from "The Devil in Ms. Jones," but I digress.

Anyways people in the Vatican believe exorcism is really real. They have a college to teach priests how to preform them and these priests see a few alleged cases every year. Word has it that the Pope has recently invited psychiatrist and psychologists into the college in order to teach priest how to more effectively differentiate between a possession and mental illness. Me, I could care less if they are real or not, I'm having trouble making this months bills and keeping food on the table. I wish I was temporarily possesed by a money-making lotto-wining deamon.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    You're damn right exorcisms are real! This is what it looks like to be possessed:

More seriously, as a person more or less committed to reason, exorcism and the theology that sourounds it so much hokum to me, but it wasn't for this dude:

He recently killed a nun in Romania to exorcise whatever demons were possessing her. Heavy, stupid shit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4107524.stm

• More seriously, as a person more or less committed to reason, exorcism and the theology that sourounds it so much hokum to me, but it wasn't for this dude:

He recently killed a nun in Romania to exorcise whatever demons were possessing her. Heavy, stupid shit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4107524.stm

"I don't understand why journalists are making such a fuss about this"

-Father Daniel

whoa