what do other people call the music you like?

2»

Comments

• "Turn this old shit off."

"Daddy, I don't want to listen to tapes."

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    disco
    80s shit

....and then they school you on proper electro

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    My favorite was when some youngblood told me I had to "update my records"

yeah... son

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    the girlfriend once called it "Godawful Noise". So, my friend & I named our band that.

• "don't you have anything good" - Kylie Minogue fan
    "It all sounds the same" - from the over 40s
    "rap hop" - an auntie

or the best was a convo with an in-laws son..
    Me -So what kind of music are you into?
    Kid - Rap!
    Me - Oh, yeah. I'm into hip hop as well.
    Kid - Nah, not that really old music. Stuff like 50 Cent & Eminem.

Oh!

• or the best was a convo with an in-laws son..
    Me -So what kind of music are you into?
    Kid - Rap!
    Me - Oh, yeah. I'm into hip hop as well.
    Kid - Nah, not that really old music. Stuff like 50 Cent & Eminem.

Kinda funny, I thought rap was the played out term.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My mom always asks, referring to whether I'm still producing hip-hop, "You still doin' that boomp-de-boomp stuff?".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    My favorite was when some youngblood told me I had to "update my records"

Nice. maybe you should throw them away and get with Mp3s, UPDATE BITCH!

• "Good music"

Boring reply, I know, but seriously I??ve met very few who didn??t like the kind of music I have. Pretty nice actually...

- J

• I can't think of anything anyone's said about my music before, but my lady has referred to this board as "My Superfriends"

• Things I've heard:

Fusion music
    Repetitious
    Weird
    Asian underground
    Bang-a-ra (actually it's bhangra, thank you)
    World music (the worst!)

and the best...

My dad once called it "Lebanese hill tribe music"... go figure

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I can't think of anything anyone's said about my music before, but my lady has referred to this board as "My Superfriends"

she's a keeper....
    so true

• I can't think of anything anyone's said about my music before, but my lady has referred to this board as "My Superfriends"

she's a keeper....
    so true

It's usually accompanied by an eyeroll and a subtle hint that there's yard/car work to be done.

By the way, Uncle Pancake's Music still has me chuckling...even though i don't get it. Context?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    this lady I work with here who LOVES bands like Nickelback, BEP, Big and Rich, etc.., asked if I like anything that gets played on the local new rock station. Of course I said "hell no!" she got angry about my music and said this:

"you listen to that freaky music....well its not even freaky music. Its I DONT KNOW WHAT MUSIC!"

ok lady.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Dudes at the local store always try and put aside the "sex jams" that come in, for me.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I can't think of anything anyone's said about my music before, but my lady has referred to this board as "My Superfriends"

she's a keeper....
    so true

It's usually accompanied by an eyeroll and a subtle hint that there's yard/car work to be done.

By the way, Uncle Pancake's Music still has me chuckling...even though i don't get it. Context?

Think Uncle Tupelo, Jayhawks etc. In the mid-90s there seemed to be a lot of hipsters obsessed with dusty backroads, small town diners and Neil Young sound-alikes.

• "Black Bathtub Music" for soul ballads.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    disco
    80s shit

....and then they school you on proper electro

highly doubt it

• Somebody in this building came up to me this morning asking: were you playing that hardcore music yesterday? It must have been me but I'm puzzled... hardcore?

The other day a friend was at my place and I was spinning records and after some time he said: "yeah that's all funny but in the end I rather listen to good music like Elvis Costello."

Mostly though, people describe the stuff I have on as "like filmmusic" or "cult".