›

syl johnson question

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
anyone ever see the "is it because I'm black" lp with the "alternate sunset label?"http://cgi.ebay.com/SYL-JOHNSON-LP-ON-TWINIGHT-IS-IT-BECAUSE-IM-BLACK_W0QQitemZ4809875028QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemIf that is an original pressing, that's a damn good price.

Comments

• It's OG

/Leo

• his daugher is GORGEOUS

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    anyone ever see the "is it because I'm black" lp with the "alternate sunset label?"

http://cgi.ebay.com/SYL-JOHNSON-LP-ON-TWINIGHT-IS-IT-BECAUSE-IM-BLACK_W0QQitemZ4809875028QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If that is an original pressing, that's a damn good price.

Twinight went to the "sunset" labels later on, just before Johnson was whisked away to Hi Records (seeeee: here). But considering that Twilight/Twinight lasted less than five years in total (and IIBIB was released in 1970), even thought it might be technically a second pressing (to keep up with demand after the red label sold out), it's only a year or two after the OG. Either way, definitely early 70s.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    twinight used the sunset label for only about 6 months starting c. september 1971.
    only the last 4 45s on the label (and apparently this run of the lp) utilize it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    twinight used the sunset label for only about 6 months starting c. september 1971.
    only the last 4 45s on the label (and apparently this run of the lp) utilize it.

What the man said. There's also a similar label design on their Daylight subsidiary, which (to my knowledge) has only two milqutoast-and-shit sides by the New Colony Six and The Mob.

C- So you hadn't seen this LP design either, I take it?

• anyone ever see the "is it because I'm black" lp with the "alternate sunset label?"
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SYL-JOHNSON-LP-ON-TWINIGHT-IS-IT-BECAUSE-IM-BLACK_W0QQitemZ4809875028QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    If that is an original pressing, that's a damn good price.

Is syl styll alive?

• I heard he invested in a chain of burger joints after he retired from music.

• twinight used the sunset label for only about 6 months starting c. september 1971.

What the man said. There's also a similar label design on their Daylight subsidiary

Actually Sunlight, but no big t'ing, mon!

, which (to my knowledge) has only two milqutoast-and-shit sides by the New Colony Six and The Mob.

...and an album by Chuck & Mary Perrin...never heard it, but it looks like some seriously vile hippy-dippy singer-songwriter shite...and some label just reissued it on CD too!

• I heard (Syl Johnson) invested in a chain of burger joints after he retired from music.

No, it was a Chicago chain of seafood places, Solomon's. After that place folded (and a stint with homelessness), he made a comeback in 1994. His shows and records since then have been aimed directly at the twelve-bar blues audience, although he had two CD's on the Delmark label which replicated the soul sound of his Twinight and Hi sides. Back In The Game is the better of the two - it's a 1994 release which reunited him with the Hi Rhythm Section. So, Syl Johnson is very much alive; he's still in Chicago and does the occasional blues show from time to time.

• (and a stint with homelessness)

I know there's a lot of hard luck among the best in music.

But SYL JOHNSON??? Whoa...that's not sittin' right. Dude is a fuckin' legend in my mind.

I hope RZA took care of this dude (aka showered him with the riches he deserves).

But SYL JOHNSON???

I think Syl has told the tale of how he was basically down & out until he received a massive royalty check from some million-selling rap record that sampled one of Syl's songs.

But SYL JOHNSON???

I think Syl has told the tale of how he was basically down & out until he received a massive royalty check from some million-selling rap record that sampled one of Syl's songs.

It would be cool to see a movie made about his life (a la RAGING BULL).

• ...and an album by Chuck & Mary Perrin...never heard it, but it looks like some seriously vile hippy-dippy singer-songwriter shite...and some label just reissued it on CD too!

It has its moments. I definitely would not consider it as vile or shite. That said I listened to the CD about 3 or 4 times when I first got it and haven't listened to it since then.

• ...and an album by Chuck & Mary Perrin...never heard it, but it looks like some seriously vile hippy-dippy singer-songwriter shite...and some label just reissued it on CD too!

It has its moments. I definitely would not consider it as vile or shite.

Guess it's a matter of opinion, since I don't normally get into folky 1970's singer-songwriter music so I just lumped C&M in there with the rest. (That WAS the kind of music they played, right?)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Actually Sunlight, but no big t'ing, mon!

Did I actually type "Daylight?" I must have been more fucked up this morning than I knew. I mean, I have both 45s (for no good reason other than I got then for free).

"Is It Because I'm Black" is so undeniably beautiful that even Robert Pruter had to hand it to him. The man was not exactly fond of funk music.

Oh - and when is there going to be an LP reissue of "Dresses Too Short?" I've always thought that it was more consistent than IIBIB, and the cover is killer.

• when is there going to be an LP reissue of "Dresses Too Short?" I've always thought that it was more consistent than IIBIB, and the cover is killer.

I've actually seen a vinyl reissue off and on at Dusty Grooves.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I heard (Syl Johnson) invested in a chain of burger joints after he retired from music.

No, it was a Chicago chain of seafood places, Solomon's. After that place folded (and a stint with homelessness), he made a comeback in 1994. His shows and records since then have been aimed directly at the twelve-bar blues audience, although he had two CD's on the Delmark label which replicated the soul sound of his Twinight and Hi sides. Back In The Game is the better of the two - it's a 1994 release which reunited him with the Hi Rhythm Section. So, Syl Johnson is very much alive; he's still in Chicago and does the occasional blues show from time to time.

He started with that 12 bar blues stuff, there's really early interviews with him before he changed the spelling of his name in Paul Oliver's "Conversation With The Blues" book.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    his daugher is GORGEOUS

There's hope for all of us. Ca. 1995:

and 2005:

What a difference 10 years makes (The Flesh, indeed).

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

IMG src=http://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs067/1100903535777/img/27.jpg>

yeah, i'm definitely ok with this

Thanks for the, uh, clarification. Holy shit.

Her next album should be called "Chapter 4: Dresses Too Short"