iTunes question (merging tracks related)

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
OK, so I have this old mix CD that I'd like to make available for download, but it's broken into 20-something tracks. Is there a way to make it all one big file in iTunes? I figure I could import each track into Pro Tools, put 'em back together, and then rebounce it as one big file, but is there an easier way to do this?Also, is it preferable to have it broken into tracks? How do people prefer to download a mixtape--track by track or all as one?

Comments

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    as one (imho)

• edubedub 715 Posts
    I don't think iTunes can do this.

Are you on a mac?

Not that it would be easier than the protools option, but it could be done with Quicktime Pro (although tediously)... you would have to open each file - copy each track (starting w/ 2nd track) and paste it into the first, at the end of the track. The copy/paste can be done relatively easy - [apple]+[a] select all, [c] and [v] for copy and paste, respectively... only use hot keys - no menus. You'd have to do this to all the tracks, inserting them into the first one, and finally saving it as a different name.

If you don't have QT Pro, you can't do this.

Like I said, this is a tedious task, with a certain amount of room for error - but I could probably do it in 5 minutes.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

OK, so I have this old mix CD that I'd like to make available for download, but it's broken into 20-something tracks. Is there a way to make it all one big file in iTunes? I figure I could import each track into Pro Tools, put 'em back together, and then rebounce it as one big file, but is there an easier way to do this?

Also, is it preferable to have it broken into tracks? How do people prefer to download a mixtape--track by track or all as one?

But this... Its cheap and will allow you to make the mix one file by importing the music then removing all the track markers. You can then convert it to an mp3 -then import into itunes. Done.

You don't lose sound quality and its really easy to use... Its the only solution I know...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Actually iTunes does this really easily. Put in the CD you want to rip, select the CD in iTunes??? Source pane, choose the songs you want to join by Command-clicking (Mac) or Control-clicking (Windows) adjacent tracks, and select Join CD Tracks from the Advanced menu. Selected tracks will be displayed with a bracket, indicating that they???ll be ripped as a single track. Bingo.