Great Ebay scores

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I'm curious as to what type of great deals strutters have found on the bay. I'm sure those of you who've been on Ebay since the late 90's have better stories than the rest of us...I just recently got a mint/mint copy of Albert Ayler's love cry (mono, white label promo at that), for 15 bucks from a "buy it now" just a week or two ago. I'm sure some of y'all got stories that blow my score out the water, but it's still a steal to me... HOLLER!

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    calling aschrock

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Roy Meriwether "Nubian Lady" for like $5, clean.

• It's becoming really hard to find anything at a good price on ebay with the money being thrown around by the trifecta of ebay ballers in Italy, Japan, and France.

Even so, some great finds fall through the cracks....I remember Guzzo getting Headless Heroes recently on ebay for like 15 dollars or something.

• It's becoming really hard to find anything at a good price on ebay with the money being thrown around by the trifecta of ebay ballers in Italy, Japan, and France.

yeah, that's why i thought the ayler lp i found deserved a mention...

• theres been a few.... including the dude who decided to purge his collection when he turned to Christianity, got about 12 nice minty raers including the J-Rock and Powerule LP's for less than the price one of these LP's was selling for.

another decent one was the buy it now dude who sold off his 80's hip hop in batches, the Kane batch was four records for $20, including "ain't no half steppin REMIX" and "Get Into It"...

not amazing $1 finds - but cheap by eBay standards!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    theres been a few.... including the dude who decided to purge his collection when he turned to Christianity, got about 12 nice minty raers including the J-Rock and Powerule LP's for less than the price one of these LP's was selling for.

Anybody remember John Walker Lindh, the American Talibani? Well turns out dude was a hardcore hip hop kid who decided to rid all his music once he embraced allah. His brother took most of the collectoin and I stayed with him in seattle a few years back. His hip-hop collection was sick. tons of late 80's to mid 90's hip-hop that would make your face melt and then freeze on the ground.

LAKIM SHABAZZ LIKE WHAT!

• I scored a Jimmy McGriff The Worm for $5 only to have it arrive cracked.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "wait honey, i'll be right back... i'll be in the shower, listening to my geoge forman radio/coffee maker/grill ."

I scored a Jimmy McGriff The Worm for $5 only to have it arrive cracked.
    you paid too much.

• theres been a few.... including the dude who decided to purge his collection when he turned to Christianity, got about 12 nice minty raers including the J-Rock and Powerule LP's for less than the price one of these LP's was selling for.

Anybody remember John Walker Lindh, the American Talibani? Well turns out dude was a hardcore hip hop kid who decided to rid all his music once he embraced allah. His brother took most of the collectoin and I stayed with him in seattle a few years back. His hip-hop collection was sick. tons of late 80's to mid 90's hip-hop that would make your face melt and then freeze on the ground.

LAKIM SHABAZZ LIKE WHAT!

You knew his brother?!?! Have you ever spoken with him about his brother after he got thrown in jail?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    theres been a few.... including the dude who decided to purge his collection when he turned to Christianity, got about 12 nice minty raers including the J-Rock and Powerule LP's for less than the price one of these LP's was selling for.

LAKIM SHABAZZ LIKE WHAT!

You knew his brother?!?! Have you ever spoken with him about his brother after he got thrown in jail?

I didn't know his brother, he was the room mate of the guy I was visiting. I didn't want to pry into it too much, just happened to be amazed at his collection and he then told me how he got it.

Even so, some great finds fall through the cracks....I remember Guzzo getting Headless Heroes recently on ebay for like 15 dollars or something.

Well most people write off ebay because they can't buy S.O.U.L. or maceo parker "doing their own thing" for $20. Or they search for "funk 45" and get pissed that they don't get any deals. It doesn't work like that any more.

I spent a lot online this year and have been really happy. Been doing some freelance work... I probably won't be able to spend like this in 06. Average price of around $20. Mostly loads of $15 - $30 records seen elsewhere for many times the price, just quality stuff that would never turn up locally clean. Some nice surprises like

johnny zamot & his latinos on decca $10
    chosen few - funky buttercup $7
    willie & the bumblebees $3
    boscoe $5
    billy bang "sweet space" $3
    hal singer "paris soul food" $10
    etc...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

How long ago was this? At least 5 years, I'm guessing. I need this badly.

another decent one was the buy it now dude who sold off his 80's hip hop in batches, the Kane batch was four records for $20, including "ain't no half steppin REMIX" and "Get Into It"...

not amazing $1 finds - but cheap by eBay standards!

Whoa. Nice. Was all this on eBay. I find a few nice lots every now and then but nothing major lately. Last good find was Big Willie Smith for 28 with another 12" that's not raer.

• best record i ever got off ebay was mint/mint lee mason chappell library with "shady blues" for 1 euro. and niagara tit cover for 10 euro. ebay.de rules.
    peace, stein. . .

Ian Carr's "Roots" and "Belladonna" - both but it now $9.99. I caught it at like 6 days 23 hours.

A few days ago Elliot Fisher - land of make believe - $6.00

• grabbed an og haze self titled on asi for $15 a few months back, it was a buy it now and i was the first person to view the auction, grabbed a willie and the bumblebees honey from the bee for $10 before the heatrock auction

• My best Ebay score was in 2002 with a collection advertised as "200 world music albums". When I emailed the seller, he said it was almost all reggae music. I ended up winning the auction for a little over $400. He shipped them in two large, heavy duty wood boxes that he built specificly to ship them. When I pried open the first box, the first two records were Sun Ra's "Disco 3000" and "Nuclear War" OG on Saturn with handmade covers and NM. Almost everything else was original US/JA/UK reggae albums from the late 70s/early 80s, plus the entire "L'Afrique Danse" collection.

Also, circa 1999, I got an original Pagans "Six & Change" for $100...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    My best Ebay score was in 2002 with a collection advertised as "200 world music albums". When I emailed the seller, he said it was almost all reggae music. I ended up winning the auction for a little over $400. He shipped them in two large, heavy duty wood boxes that he built specificly to ship them. When I pried open the first box, the first two records were Sun Ra's "Disco 3000" and "Nuclear War" OG on Saturn with handmade covers and NM. Almost everything else was original US/JA/UK reggae albums from the late 70s/early 80s, plus the entire "L'Afrique Danse" collection.

damn.

• Countdown at Kusini for $22.50

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

How long ago was this? At least 5 years, I'm guessing. I need this badly.

Maybe 3-4 years ago, but it was definitely a known record then.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    my ebay skills are so weak, i only use it when completely necessary. all the waiting used to get to me. i would be so compulsive that i would check the auction at least 20 times a day (i now have ss for my fix), and then some dude would snipe me. now, i just send the seller an offer to end the auction early. but i totally envy you guys who have big come ups--especially the dudes who hustle and score on misspelled stuff.

• There is still loads of amazing stuff to found on ebay for realy cheap.

Just don't look for your obviouis funk, rare groove stuff. Just dig abit deeper.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    DJ Shadow 'Lesson 4' OG - $20
    Godfather Don 'Hazardous' LP - $15
    Intellectuals Of Rhyme 12" - $3
    MDS Productions - sealed - $20

Probably not very exciting unless you were after them as much as I was...

• Just bought Lisa G "call my name" on Out records for 9$, ended earlier this year for like 150 eur.

/Leo

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

I've seen this go for cheap a couple of times on ebay. I thought it wasn't that hard to get until I started trying to get it.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts

I've seen this go for cheap a couple of times on ebay. I thought it wasn't that hard to get until I started trying to get it.

I actually found a battered copy in a store here in town for ??3 earlier this year - and I mean it was completely I threw it on eBay with a completely honest description - and it sold for $80. I got remarkably great feedback as well.

Unbelievable.