Whats the best doo-wop song EVAR?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited December 2005 in Music Talk
My vote:The Marcels - Blue MoonThey took an old pop song and thrashed it to death with a heavy doo-wop make-over.Every time I hear that thundering "bomp baba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp baba bomp baba bomp ba ding a dong dang blue mooooon" I'm just like "FUCK YEAH!!!!"This song hits so goddam hard.... BEST DOO WOP SONG EVAR.

Comments

• Tied for first...

"I Only Have Eyes For You" Flamingos

"What Time Is It" Jive Five

• The Penguins "Ookey Ook"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Sincerly - The Moonglows

peace, 'OnIce. . .

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    These are all damn fine songs, by the way.....

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Tied for first...

major cosign

let me add "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" by Franbkie Lymon & the Teenagers to the list

• Dolly Cooper - Love Can't Be Blind. On Savoy (backed by the Wanderers). I play it a lot. But is it doo-wop? Or vocal R&B?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    "I Do Love You" Tex & The Chex

"Sunday Kind Of Love" Harptones

• In the still of the night.

• That Sun Ra thing

Cosmic Rays "Dreaming / Daddys Gonna Tall you no Lies" on SATURN (re)

has to be way up there.. also like the Turbans 'Sister Sookie'

• "One Summer Night" -- The Danleers

"In the Still of the Night" runs a close 2nd

"it's too soon to know" by the orioles... that or "i'm so young" by the students.
    serious.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Proto Jodeci

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I like Faux Wop, like the last half of Happiness is a Warm Gun and 18 with a Bullet

• "I Only Have Eyes For You" Flamingos

The Chords - "Sh-Boom"

The Del-Vikings - "Come Go With Me"

• That Sun Ra thing

Cosmic Rays "Dreaming / Daddys Gonna Tall you no Lies" on SATURN (re)

has to be way up there.. also like the Turbans 'Sister Sookie'

cosign for days. Both sides are killer. Other than that, I love Birtha Tillman's "Oh My Angel"

• "Unchained Melody" - Vito & the Salutations
    "Don't Leave Me Baby" - Camelots (acapella rules OK!)
    "You're The Only Girl, Delores" - Nolan Strong & the Diablos
    "WPLJ" - Four Deuces
    "Don't Let It Be In Vain," "The Slummer The Slum" - Five Royales
    "Book Of Love" - Monotones

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I've always been partial to 'Earth Angel'

*edit* Hmm... actually is that considered Doo Wop or not?

• I've always been partial to 'Earth Angel'

That's like Ground Zero right there...thee ULTIMATE baby-making doo-wop ballad.

More vocal group delights:
    "Roaches" - the Court Jesters
    "Buick '59" - Vernon Green & the Medallions
    "Little Star" (and its' flip side, "Getting Dizzy") - Elegants
    "Juke Box Rock & Roll" - Marigolds
    "Stay Awhile" - Clovers

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    What about:
    Crying In The Chapel - The Orioles
    Earth Angel - The Penguins
    Get A Job - The Silhouettes

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I've always been partial to 'Earth Angel'

Great minds think alike...

The Versatones - "Bila" is one I like...

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Anyone heard the Rockmasters' "Raining Teardrops".? Gotta a great late doo-wop feel, but it's probably filed under early soul more often.

• My vote:

The Marcels - Blue Moon

They took an old pop song and thrashed it to death with a heavy doo-wop make-over.

Every time I hear that thundering "bomp baba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp baba bomp baba bomp ba ding a dong dang blue mooooon" I'm just like "FUCK YEAH!!!!"

This song hits so goddam hard.... BEST DOO WOP SONG EVAR.

fuck YES...I don't know how many times I've heard this in my life but it didn't really hit me until I was listening to a doo wop mix in my car last weekend, and holy christ that song SMOKES.

Other faves:

The Flamingos- I Only Have Eyes for You
    The Elegants- Little Star
    The Capris- There's a Moon Out Tonight

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    My vote:

The Marcels - Blue Moon

They took an old pop song and thrashed it to death with a heavy doo-wop make-over.

Every time I hear that thundering "bomp baba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp baba bomp baba bomp ba ding a dong dang blue mooooon" I'm just like "FUCK YEAH!!!!"

This one or "Get a Job" all day.

My vote:

The Marcels - Blue Moon

This one or "Get a Job" all day.

Yeah, get a job is my second pick actually.

I would love The 10 Commandmants Of Love if that dude wasn't talking. Its such a great song.... except for dude talking every line. arg!

• I would love The 10 Commandmants Of Love if that dude wasn't talking. Its such a great song.... except for dude talking every line. arg!

Ha, ha! Robert Pruter (who authored a great book on Chicago doo-wop) once told me the same thing! I can understand why; that talking bass voice kinda messes up the flow, sorta like a DJ talking over the record. And if you notice, there's one part where the guy STARTS to say the line, but then the chorus rolls around ("oh, how happy we would be...") and he stops abruptly in mid-word! I too think it's absurd, but that's part of what makes the song so great.

That, and the fact that there is no tenth commandment - when that line rolls around, it's just a continuation of Commandment Nine...

• also Speedo! damn I can't believe I forgot that one. I think "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" and "Blue Moon" are the quintessential doo wop tunes. It's amazing how many times I've heard 'em and yet it's rare that I actually LISTEN you know?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Sincerly - The Moonglows

peace, 'OnIce. . .

Also:

Close Your Eyes - The Five Keys

and pretty much anything by The Orioles, Harptones & Cadillacs

OH and a BIG shout out to Jimmy Ricks & the Ravens...to cross over with the 78 thread, my most prized 78 was "Write Me a Letter" by the Ravens, until I snapped it in 5 pieces by - I swear - just looking at it funny...now my prized 78 (I only own like 20 of them at most) is one of radio spots for Samuel Fuller's "Pickup On South Street," given to me by our own P-Gunn.

I would love The 10 Commandmants Of Love if that dude wasn't talking. Its such a great song.... except for dude talking every line. arg!

Ha, ha! Robert Pruter (who authored a great book on Chicago doo-wop) once told me the same thing! I can understand why; that talking bass voice kinda messes up the flow, sorta like a DJ talking over the record. And if you notice, there's one part where the guy STARTS to say the line, but then the chorus rolls around ("oh, how happy we would be...") and he stops abruptly in mid-word! I too think it's absurd, but that's part of what makes the song so great.

That, and the fact that there is no tenth commandment - when that line rolls around, it's just a continuation of Commandment Nine...

OH SHIT. Now I have to go listen to this again! I never noticed they never got to TEN!!! hahahaha that is so awesome. and the part about the word cutting out. thats awesome.

Yeah, like other dude said, Speedo is great too, but my real shit is Mr. Earl... wah wah wahhhhh

• DONALD & THE DELIGHTERS - Elephant Walk