The Budos Band LP

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• Yes indeed. It seems that Staten Island has more to offer than only Ghostface. At times the record sounds a bit like the Invaders.

• At times the record sounds a bit like the Invaders.

and just as good, if not better.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Hell yes, I've got to say that Daptone and its associated projects has been killing it.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    indeed

dont forget soundway as well (not new funk, but as a label)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Super duper record - was gonna start a post about it. Between this & the last Sharon Jones, it's been the best year for new music for me since the mid 90's.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    really nice record. love the echo and the afrobeat touches.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm not much of a "new funk" listener but I been jamming this one. Top chunes!!!

• I'm not much of a "new funk" listener

hatter

lol

• The record is mang.

Those are my boys from Shaolin. I went to their record release party in Brooklyn and it was great. That band was actually a side project for them. Their primary band was firstly Fast Breakin Classics , which then turned into Dirt Rifle & the Funky Bullets. They put a 45 out on Daptone w/ Charles Bradley, who IMO is the closest thing we have to an early period James Brown. But more evil if you know what I mean. They still play as Dirt Rifle, and even as FBR. Support them when they are in your neck of the woods.

Ask Brian about his art. he is a SICK artist.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Their primary band was firstly Fast Breakin Classics , which then turned into Dirt Rifle & the Funky Bullets.

They should stick with Budos- those are TERRIBLE band names...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

The record is mang.

Those are my boys from Shaolin. I went to their record release party in Brooklyn and it was great. That band was actually a side project for them. Their primary band was firstly Fast Breakin Classics , which then turned into Dirt Rifle & the Funky Bullets. They put a 45 out on Daptone w/ Charles Bradley, who IMO is the closest thing we have to an early period James Brown. But more evil if you know what I mean. They still play as Dirt Rifle, and even as FBR. Support them when they are in your neck of the woods.

Ask Brian about his art. he is a SICK artist.

Charles Bradley & The Bullets was the most slept on Daptone 45 of 2005, so raw.

Good luck to them. They played at my girl's bar last year and the sound in the small room was killin. Don't think we can afford them anymore!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i love this record, but quite honestly, it would have been even better with less reverb, would have been more raw. some sounds just pretty much drowns in the mix, feels to me like it was rushed. but that said, i like it more than the sharon jones lp, and more than the el michels! ive been bumping that sing a simple song version alot! its a great record no doubt.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Their primary band was firstly Fast Breakin Classics , which then turned into Dirt Rifle & the Funky Bullets.

They should stick with Budos- those are TERRIBLE band names...

dude they're a nufunk band what do you expect??

its better than the dapdippingzedoodaahs