Tragic Funk?

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i think the definition of tragic is loosening up.

the definition of funk round here is so loose its fallin apart

("wish someone would care" by irma thomas - great song, definitely tragic lyrics, but funk???)

hell no - i was going to pick on the 'funk' thing too, i mean rene's after laughter is no funk tune either but it did say "and sometimes soul" in the initial post so i just ran with it. i don't think differentiating between funk and soul is a battle i'm up for today. i'm losing my will to fight for anything on the Board lately.

yea - wish someone would care - amazing tune. heart-breaking. she wrote it when she was knocked up and abandoned by the father. i think she was 16 or 18 or some young age like that.

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts

L. Anderson - A World That's Not Real ( )
    Adam whats this mate?

• Funkadelic- March to The Witches Castle

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    the first one that comes to mind is the classic Freddie's Dead Curtis Mayfield.
    also, Sam Dees Child Of The Streets has that ghetto tragicness.
    theres a track with Ben E King where he ends up putting a shotgun to his head and you hear the bang at the end of the song....

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm torn as to whether this subgenre tag is more accurately referred to as "Guzzoesque" or "Bizzoesque"...

Why can't it be both?

• theres a track with Ben E King where he ends up putting a shotgun to his head and you hear the bang at the end of the song....

reminds me of "better off dead," a bill withers song that fits the same description ("she's better off without me and I'm better off dead - BLAM!")

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

theres a track with Ben E King where he ends up putting a shotgun to his head and you hear the bang at the end of the song....

reminds me of "better off dead," a bill withers song that fits the same description ("she's better off without me and I'm better off dead - BLAM!")

yep, better off dead, thats it.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    "Home is Where the Hatred Is" Esther Phillips or Gil Scott Heron

this is what i thought of as soon as i read the thread title. Pretty much all of superfly OST fits nicely as well. Curtis is god.

• Eunice Colins - At the Hotel

i woke up with this in my head today, this must be in my all time top 5 i can't get enough of this strange and poor production that ModArt seems to deliver, full marks for that one!!!!!!

But, come on you guys, a lot of these records you have listed isn't funk but classic soul, i see the funk vein in Patti Jo but if she's funk then Curtis is funk aswell, if Irma Thomas "wish someone.." is funk then deep soul isn't even a genre anymore. Not that you have to put genres on everything just wanted to clear some stuff out..

/Leo

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    i think the definition of tragic is loosening up.

("wish someone would care" by irma thomas - great song, definitely tragic lyrics, but funk???)

Well I did say "funk (and sometimes soul)", and even listed some northern tracks...those OBVIOUSLY aren't funk!

But all of them i listed share the same feeling.

Another possible one I would put in this catagory would be:

Lyn Christopher - Take Me With You

-pj

• i think the definition of tragic is loosening up.

Well I did say "funk (and sometimes soul)", and even listed some northern tracks...those OBVIOUSLY aren't funk!

But all of them i listed share the same feeling.

Another possible one I would put in this catagory would be:

Lyn Christopher - Take Me With You

-pj

Ok if thats the case just buy Gloria Walker "my precious love" on People directly, don't even hesitate

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    Just wanna thank everyone for replying here. Some of you dropped some serious knowledge.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    WAR "Slippin Into Darkness"
    Gil-Scott Heron "Angel Dust"