I need a ride to bk (strike related)

13»

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    don't really got too much to add to this, just wanted to say that this is a very informative thread on NY real peoples politics. Enjoyed everyones posts except for the dumb ass "faggot" yelling

...carry on and teach me the ways of public transit...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    don't really got too much to add to this, just wanted to say that this is a very informative thread on NY real peoples politics. Enjoyed everyones posts except for the dumb ass "faggot" yelling

not mad. Just find it pretty sad that someone has to resort to slurs while grown folks are talking. If you can't stay up than it may be better to just sit down

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    why don't you take your OPINION, and leave it in the LA suburbs. I'm pissed, and I'll say what ever the fuck I want. you need to fall the fuck back, stick.

• Hey, I'm making omelettes! Anyone want one?

• stop being such a faggot.

nice anti gay sentiment on here delay...stop listening to the scenario remix so much.

just kidding. i thought my next post might have to be:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

He's always mad. Emotional like Carl Thomas.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Hey, I'm making omelettes! Anyone want one?

delicious!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    sorry, carry on. Be sure to yell out "faggot" and how you want to punch people more often in civilized discussions about politics and real world shit. I don't know what I was thinking.

if an otherwise calm and informitive discussion on transit gets you this worked up you may want to consider just not participating.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    you may want to consider just not participating.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Slightly off topic. Just a quick question. What really keeps the country going? Big business or small business? Is Johnny "The Man" now that he owns a small biz and should unions somehow be bought into the small biz world?

Another side story. An uncle of mine who worked for one of the major auto plants lost his job a few years back. He was working on the line. When he started he was making around 40K and when the plant closed he was working at shut down he was making 60 something. With contact talks coming up, rising health care cost and auto sales dropping. The plant closed. At first he was pissed at the his company. Now he just wants any work. Even if it's at 30 something K a year.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    for all you bloomberg hatters........I'm sure a lot of people don't know the real deal behind him. Not saying he's a saint but some of the things thrown around here are a bit misaligned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bloomberg

He maintains his home address in the white pages and is known to ride the subway to City Hall every morning, even during periods of heightened terrorist alert against the subway system.

Bloomberg declined the mayor's salary, accepting remuneration of $1.00 annually.

S'ok

But the realness was the line "No one wins if public transit isn't running."

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    yeah man, 90% of that is right on. if they don't break the strike by tomorrow, people are gonna start driving the trains themselves. I really do think they need to start firing people.

• do you think all that walking will help with America's obesity problem?

This has to be wrong:

"They demand a 24% raise, lowering of the retirement/pension age to 50"

Can someone let people know what their demands really are?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

do you think all that walking will help with America's obesity problem?

without a doubt

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This has to be wrong:

It is--check the Times' website.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    3 words...

Air Traffic Controllers

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    3 words...

Air Traffic Controllers

2 more words...

please elaborate

• 3 words...

Air Traffic Controllers

2 more words...

please elaborate

The Gipper fired them all in the early 80s when they went on strike. Replaced them all. People with 20 years experience had to reapply for their jobs and start at entry level salaries.

• 3 words...

Air Traffic Controllers

2 more words...

please elaborate

The Gipper fired them all in the early 80s when they went on strike. Replaced them all. People with 20 years experience had to reapply for their jobs and start at entry level salaries.

That sounds hot.

Hi Jason

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hey, I'm making omelettes! Anyone want one?

Looks great Rockwell! I'll take one with some salsa. Spicy!

This has to be wrong:

It is--check the Times' website.

OK, I've found:

The authority, which had offered two 3 percent raises over 27 months, raised its offer today to 3 percent in each of the next 3 years. It also agreed to lower its demand, to 1 percent from 2 percent, for the proportion of earnings that it wants new employees to pay toward health-care premiums.
    In the negotiations after midnight, the authority improved its pension offer. It continued to insist that newly hired workers not be eligible for a pension equal to half their salary until age 62, but it said that workers could qualify after 25 years on the job, down from its previous offer of 30 years. Under the current system, most transit workers can obtain half pensions at age 55, after 25 years at work.
    For new employees, the authority also proposed to match dollar for dollar the first 1 percent of wages that those employees contribute to their 401(k) plans.

Now what is it the Union wants instead? Seems like the Authority is willing to deal somewhat. Is the Union?

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    http://u1063.c03.escapebox.net/ts/index3.html

NYT commuter testimonials

Seems like a majority of the folks on it are taking it all in stride

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Hi everyone! I just got back from 3+hrs of walking to and from Madhattin. I can report that the only thing that got in my way was whiners and tourists, so it was much like a day on soulstrut.

The gridlock by City Hall was caused by the news trucks, engines running, antennas hoisted, waiting for their story.

Now back to telecommunting with spliffs, 6-pack of whoopass chilling in the fridge in case any of you brownshirts are thirsty.

Well, with the Upper level of the union getting ticked off with local 100 and maybe taking over and a million dollar a day fine.

Makes things interesting.

• http://u1063.c03.escapebox.net/ts/index3.html

NYT commuter testimonials

Seems like a majority of the folks on it are taking it all in stride

Tsega this is not representative of most of New York City (I mean the Times readership).

I spent most of the day around Utica Ave, Church Ave, Linden Blvd area. East Flatbush. People are definitely NOT "taking it all in stride" - people are huddling in bodegas waiting for dollar vans, which are all full, to get to another point to take another van. Waiting for half an hour just to get in a vehicle. I myself had to take one car, two vans, and walk ten blocks to get there and back home. This is within a 2 mile area of Brooklyn. Traffic is completely jammed at every major intersection. In talking to folks I heard many, many people that couldn't get into work at all, and were worried about whether or not they would have jobs in the coming days. I wish I had a camera because then you could see: school on Linden Blvd with messages to parents, "school to begin at 10:30 - please bring your child to school regardless of strike" with kids milling about aimlessly outside. Or this, spraypainted on the Church Ave B-train station: "NYC HELD FOR RANSOM!"

It is lovely for those who ride bikes, have the leisure to walk in midday, or can telecommute from home. It is not lovely for those who work by the hour, on the clock, who do not have alternate forms of transport or have physical conditions that prevent them from taking 3 hour walks.

Local news just said, "most of the people we talked to are furious with the union for walking."

That is what I saw.

"Not a bus on the street Not a train on the track I
    don't know where you came from, but I know you can't
    make it back.
    Live here until the strike is over
    MTA Martini $6"

HAHA

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    3 words...

Air Traffic Controllers

2 more words...

please elaborate

That sounds hot.

Hi Jason

I know 3 ex-Air Traffic Controllers who feel like going on strike was the biggest mistake they ever made.....going on strike is a gamble.