I need a ride to bk (strike related)

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this strike is fucking bullshit. it's not that big a deal to retire at 62 instead of 55. it's not worth shutting down the city.

Can we get a crybaby gramelin?

This strike is not bullshit. It's not worth it to YOU, but to the people who ACTUALLY have to live under the contract, it's obviously worth it, or they wouldn't have walked out.
    As far as shutting down the city, it didn't really do that. It re-aligned the city a bit, but it didn't shut it down. Most of my co-workers are here, from Bronx, BX, uptown, Queens.

It's about WAY more than retirement age. Get back to us when you know something.

Cope. Don't whine.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    he doesn;t care about allienating a voters, he's on his second term, and he's more Mike Bloomberg than republican. Anyways, I don't really give a shit, I'm making sketches, paint a clean train tonight boy!

Bloomberg ain't going back to the private sector. I think he loves this stuff.

I don't really give a shit either. But if all NY's web designers went on strike, I don't think anyone would notice. People need to get over themselves a bit instead of thinking that unions are ruining everything.

25 years of anti-union propaganda have sunk in deep.[/b]

Are you stating that Unions are perfect and don't do some suspect things?

No i'm not. What I am saying is that there has been a concerted effort - way out of proportion to any real wrongdoing - to destroy organized labor in this country, mainly by people who don't like to pay for things like benefits, fair wages or a safe workplace. If you think Bush and Bloomberg are anti-union because they honestly think unions are corrupt, you're not paying attention.

Hey, I'm under a union right now. And I've seen some things go down in the past where they end up using some of the people they are suppose to protect. The inter workings and inter-politics can sometimes get mad suspect. Not to mention where ur union dues sometimes end up going once in awhile (Not that most know where that is...)

Also, I've seen things go to a "fair wage" to a "more than fair wage" to a "no wage" where the company either went bankrupt or moved operations to another country. How's having no job help a worker?

Don't get me wrong, unions do, do alot of good. Just don't make it sound like they are the savior of the worker.

• he doesn;t care about allienating a voters, he's on his second term, and he's more Mike Bloomberg than republican. Anyways, I don't really give a shit, I'm making sketches, paint a clean train tonight boy!

I don't really give a shit either. But if all NY's web designers went on strike, I don't think anyone would notice. People need to get over themselves a bit instead of thinking that unions are ruining everything.

No i'm not. What I am saying is that there has been a concerted effort - way out of proportion to any real wrongdoing - to destroy organized labor in this country, mainly by people who don't like to pay for things like benefits, fair wages or a safe workplace. If you think Bush and Bloomberg are anti-union because they honestly think unions are corrupt, you're not paying attention.

Hey, I'm under a union right now. And I've seen some things go down in the past where they end up using some of the people they are suppose to protect. The inter workings and inter-politics can sometimes get mad suspect. Not to mention where ur union dues sometimes end up going once in awhile (Not that most know where that it...)

Also, I've seen things go to a "fair wage" to a "more than fair wage" to a "no wage" where the company either went bankrupt or moved operations to another country. How's having no job help a worker?

Don't get me wrong, unions do, do alot of good. Just don't make it sound like they are the savior of the worker.

What union are you in? Why do you assume that it's the same in all unions? Keep in mind that the same people that have been working to destroy unions are the ones that have been working to move their companies offshore where they can skirt US taxes and ignore labor and safety laws. Are a cheap pair of kicks more important than whether the kids assembling them make enough to eat, or receive care when they're injured on the job. It's not the unions that are killing America and the American worker (and exploiting the workers in other countries), it's the coporations that don't want to play by the rules.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Cope. Don't whine.
    fred,

what is that? not very nice. sounds like someone is cranky from having to walk 5 miles to work in below freezing weather.

no one is bashing unions, people. we are bashng this strike. it's a bit like strongarm robbery.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    is working for the MTA considered a comfy, plum job? this is a serious question.

given the job and all that comes with it, I think folks are not being unreasonable in their demands. I read about the wages, retirements, etc in the other thread...what am I missing?

it's an incovenience, but it might help ease the pain to think that one day it could be you on the other side of the table.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    is working for the MTA considered a comfy, plum job? this is a serious question.

given the job and all that comes with it, I think folks are not being unreasonable in their demands. I read about the wages, retirements, etc in the other thread...what am I missing?

it's an incovenience, but it might help ease the pain to think that one day it could be you on the other side of the table.

You are missing 1 (one) x American Education System. If you find it, drown it.

• He's a billionaire, can't he afford a winter hat to wear?

Probably jumped back in his limo after the shot was taken..

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    he doesn;t care about allienating a voters, he's on his second term, and he's more Mike Bloomberg than republican. Anyways, I don't really give a shit, I'm making sketches, paint a clean train tonight boy!

Hey, I'm under a union right now. And I've seen some things go down in the past where they end up using some of the people they are suppose to protect. The inter workings and inter-politics can sometimes get mad suspect. Not to mention where ur union dues sometimes end up going once in awhile (Not that most know where that it...)

What union are you in? Why do you assume that it's the same in all unions? Keep in mind that the same people that have been working to destroy unions are the ones that have been working to move their companies offshore where they can skirt US taxes and ignore labor and safety laws. Are a cheap pair of kicks more important than whether the kids assembling them make enough to eat, or receive care when they're injured on the job. It's not the unions that are killing America and the American worker (and exploiting the workers in other countries), it's the coporations that don't want to play by the rules.

Dude... I'm not saying it's the same for all. Just like not all corps are fucking over their workers. But this idea of "Hey, bring in the union, they will protect you" is just not true. Like, I work for a major Canadian University (It's one of the top 100 employers of Canada). It's very Liberal and it's unionized thought the yingyang. I love my job. I don't hate on my union. But I have seen some things go down since I've been here to know that "Unions" can sometimes do some mad suspect things (I'm talking about using certain groups of people to get better deals for other sections of people and other things like worker safety to get things they want) And mind you, I don't care about union dues. That shit is fine in my book.

Side note: I was going to get into details. But I'm at work and I don't think its a good idea.

But let me just say, I love my job, my employer and the union is fine in my book. Just don't like the idea of people saying Unions are the saviors of workers.

• He's a billionaire, can't he afford a winter hat to wear?

Probably jumped back in his limo after the shot was taken..

Exactamundo![/b] A little chilly play acting for the 6 o'clock news. "Oh look! The Mayor, he's just like us!"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    this strike is fucking bullshit. it's not that big a deal to retire at 62 instead of 55. it's not worth shutting down the city.

This strike is not bullshit. It's not worth it to YOU, but to the people who ACTUALLY have to live under the contract, it's obviously worth it, or they wouldn't have walked out.
    As far as shutting down the city, it didn't really do that. It re-aligned the city a bit, but it didn't shut it down. Most of my co-workers are here, from Bronx, BX, uptown, Queens.

It's about WAY more than retirement age. Get back to us when you know something.

Cope. Don't whine.

Unemployed talk!

Hi T*M -

not cranky at all. I enjoyed it (7.5 door to door)... the funny thing was, it took me less time to run it than it does to take the train!

I support what they're doing, which is not trying to extort anyone, but rather to keep the MTA (who are the worst kind of bureaucrats EVER) from rolling back their pension and benefits, hitting new hires particularly hard. I'm not saying the union is right or wrong, and I can see how they used a particularly hard bargaining chip (strike + weather + christmas) which may or may not be seen as harsh. They deserve to make a good living - most of us wouldn't even RIDE the subway if we didn't have to, and they WORK down there all day, cleaning up after pukers, breathing nasty air, etc. Sure, we all get down on the system, and sometimes you can't get your question asked, and there are some surly folks in the booth, but all of us stop and drink coffee on the job, they're just more visible than you or me.

I mean, the MTA had a surplus this year and rather than roll it over into next year, or use it to improve service or safety, they came up with this absurd "TAKE THE TRAIN FOR FREE THIS WEEKEND" scheme (talk about irony: ummm... can we have that free train ride now, you stupid fucks?).

• But let me just say, I love my job, my employer and the union is fine in my book. Just don't like the idea of people saying Unions are the saviors of workers.

say what you will about unions they are the ONLY force representing the interests of the workers. it certainly ain't coming from the gov't and the business owners.

you guys should consider yourself lucky you have a transit system at all.

Hi T*M -

not cranky at all. I enjoyed it (7.5 door to door)... the funny thing was, it took me less time to run it than it does to take the train!

I support what they're doing, which is not trying to extort anyone, but rather to keep the MTA (who are the worst kind of bureaucrats EVER) from rolling back their pension and benefits, hitting new hires particularly hard. I'm not saying the union is right or wrong, and I can see how they used a particularly hard bargaining chip (strike + weather + christmas) which may or may not be seen as harsh. They deserve to make a good living - most of us wouldn't even RIDE the subway if we didn't have to, and they WORK down there all day, cleaning up after pukers, breathing nasty air, etc. Sure, we all get down on the system, and sometimes you can't get your question asked, and there are some surly folks in the booth, but all of us stop and drink coffee on the job, they're just more visible than you or me.

I mean, the MTA had a surplus this year and rather than roll it over into next year, or use it to improve service or safety, they came up with this absurd "TAKE THE TRAIN FOR FREE THIS WEEKEND" scheme (talk about irony: ummm... can we have that free train ride now, you stupid fucks?).

I'll walk 5 miles to work for health care and fair hours for MTA employees. happily.

not for a pension cut.

we gotta kill this "you're either with us or against us" shit. the MTA is some shady fucks and it was bad bizness to floss that huge surplus and think they'd get away without a labor dispute. but the TWU is getting real salty over chump change. compared to most other unskilled positions in the country, MTA jobs are lovely.

and for the record, I actually really like the subway. I take hour long train rides to nowhere and read. for fun.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

and for the record, I actually really like the subway. I take hour long train rides to nowhere and read. for fun.

OK, definitely bourgeois! Off with his head!

• he doesn;t care about allienating a voters, he's on his second term, and he's more Mike Bloomberg than republican. Anyways, I don't really give a shit, I'm making sketches, paint a clean train tonight boy!

No i'm not. What I am saying is that there has been a concerted effort - way out of proportion to any real wrongdoing - to destroy organized labor in this country, mainly by people who don't like to pay for things lik benefits, fair wages or a safe workplace. [/b]If you think Bush and Bloomberg are anti-union because they honestly think unions are corrupt, you're not paying attention.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST LARRY THEY HAVE THAT. Is 40+k a year, 100% 1st dollar health coverage, and constant 24-hour police presence not enough? THEN WHAT?

And FYI, folks, I know it's fun to hate rich people but Bloomberg made his money privately, in his own business, by being a very good businessman. He's not sitting there taking millions from the city; in fact, although I despise the tourists and newcomers he has brought in TONNES of money where there would otherwise not be any. He is a lot more helpful, when it comes to things like small business ownership and bullshit like the cabaret law than Giuliani ever was.

I guess nuanced political views don't traffic well here but jesus, some of you guys are just as bad as the neocons.

No i'm not. What I am saying is that there has been a concerted effort - way out of proportion to any real wrongdoing - to destroy organized labor in this country, mainly by people who don't like to pay for things lik benefits, fair wages or a safe workplace. [/b]If you think Bush and Bloomberg are anti-union because they honestly think unions are corrupt, you're not paying attention.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST LARRY THEY HAVE THAT. Is 40+k a year, 100% 1st dollar health coverage, and constant 24-hour police presence not enough? THEN WHAT?

And FYI, folks, I know it's fun to hate rich people but Bloomberg made his money privately, in his own business, by being a very good businessman. He's not sitting there taking millions from the city; in fact, although I despise the tourists and newcomers he has brought in TONNES of money where there would otherwise not be any. He is a lot more helpful, when it comes to things like small business ownership and bullshit like the cabaret law than Giuliani ever was.

I guess nuanced political views don't traffic well here but jesus, some of you guys are just as bad as the neocons.

Jonny
    This country has been suffering for too long from Ronald Reagan's pronouncement that 'The business of America is business' and the movement born from it. Bloomberg, Bush and just about every other politician (both sides of the aisle) work from the idea that if a policy is good for "business" (i.e. business owners and stockholders) then its benefits will trickle down and moisten the parched lips of the masses. This is bunk.
    Ironically, many of the adherents to these policies, bootstrappers to the last, also feast liberally at the government buffet, accepting tax subsidies/breaks, bust existing unions where possible, roll back benefits for their employees while fattening the bottom line and generally not playing fair.
    I don't hate rich people. I just don't trust them.
    L

• Related question: Since when is "$40k a year" in New York City some kind of killer salary? Am I wrong?

Related question: Since when is "$40k a year" in New York City some kind of killer salary? Am I wrong?

I'm living off less than that and I'm not even remotely struggling.

• Related question: Since when is "$40k a year" in New York City some kind of killer salary? Am I wrong?

Honestly, yeah... I mean, no it's not a "killer" salary over the years but it's great to start with. Average salary is mid-50s. But private sector jobs usually start in the mid thirties, even in New York City.

Related question: Since when is "$40k a year" in New York City some kind of killer salary? Am I wrong?

how many kids you got?

how many kids you got?

is that relevant? if you got kids, you're gonna be struggling on any unskilled starting salary.

• Can we get a crybaby gramelin?

Jonny
    This country has been suffering for too long from Ronald Reagan's pronouncement that 'The business of America is business' and the movement born from it. Bloomberg, Bush and just about every other politician (both sides of the aisle) work from the idea that if a policy is good for "business" (i.e. business owners and stockholders) then its benefits will trickle down and moisten the parched lips of the masses. This is bunk.
    Ironically, many of the adherents to these policies, bootstrappers to the last, also feast liberally at the government buffet, accepting tax subsidies/breaks, bust existing unions where possible, roll back benefits for their employees while fattening the bottom line and generally not playing fair.
    I don't hate rich people. I just don't trust them.
    L

All this kind of vague business-vs-masses stuff doesn't really work for me, it's just too much slogan and not enough specifics. I wouldn't put Bush and Bloomberg in the same room though, maybe not even the same building.

It just seems like, in this particular situation, most people here in NYC are not for this strike, those who are have expressed this blind solidarity with the union line. I am looking at it from the perspective of who gets hurt more, not who wins more. If the TWU had signed last night, they would've gotten awesome raises and would've only taken slight losses. Instead, the city takes a major loss... I just can't see the good in that.

What's also odd is that you have a lot of folks who work for companies, white collar folks, talking about how the "good for business" idea is bunk - I never thought that I was aligned with big corporations but as a small business owner I see you alls callousness as being directed towards me. This city is all about the small businessman. That's is who is getting hurt by these strikes, not the fat cats. They don't care.

I really have at this point begun to believe that if you can't work for yourself you're eventually going to be ass out, none of these big companies are gonna be here for you.

how many kids you got?

is that relevant? if you got kids, you're gonna be struggling on any unskilled starting salary.

exactly.

this can potentially go in circles, but it's as relevant as you talking about your situation and you are not an MTA worker.

how many kids you got?

exactly.

this can potentially go in circles, but it's as relevant as you talking about your situation and you are not an MTA worker.

Do MTA workers have more kids? Is there a 1 child requirement for signing up?

I'm confused by your argument...

Bottom line is that ANY starting salary is going to be less sufficient to a parent, but the fact that MTA salaries are very good even when compared to private sector jobs is not changed.

how many kids you got?

exactly.

but this doesn't concern MTA workers; Ross asked about $40K in new york.

and $40k was the quoted *starting* salary...

• (CBS) NEW YORK The international arm of the Transport Workers Union is stunned and angry that its Local 100, representing New York subway and bus workers, turned down a contract offer from management and ordered its members to walk off their jobs, CBS2 News has learned.

Sources within other large public employee unions tell CBS2 reporter Marcia Kramer that the TWU's international leadership is considering taking over the local and seeking a settlement with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
    Those sources say the upper level of the TWU thinks the MTA's latest offer is fair and worthy of further consideration and negotiation. They stand against a militant faction within Local 100 that pressed hard for a strike.

Here's a look at the key issues in the transit talks:

PENSIONS: The Metropolitan Transportation Authority had originally wanted to raise the age at which new employees become eligible for full a pension from 55 to 62. The union balked at that proposal. The MTA later agreed to allow pension eligibility to remain at 55 for new employees, but asked that the new workers contribute 6 percent of their salaries for their first 10 years of employment.

WAGES: The MTA had proposed annual raises of 3 percent. The union wanted higher pay increases; a later MTA offer included annual raises of 3 percent, 4 percent and 3.5 percent.

HEALTH: The MTA wants new employees to contribute 1 percent of their salary to pay for health insurance. Transit workers currently do not have to pay anything for health insurance.

SECURITY: The union wants disaster-preparedness training for its work force, following transit system bombings in Madrid and London.

HOLIDAYS: The latest MTA proposal also included added the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.

DISCIPLINE: The TWU would like to eleiminate several rules and penalties that go with them. The union considers these rule and penalties "draconian."

how many kids you got?

exactly.

Do MTA workers have more kids? Is there a 1 child requirement for signing up?

I'm confused by your argument...

Bottom line is that ANY starting salary is going to be less sufficient to a parent, but the fact that MTA salaries are very good even when compared to private sector jobs is not changed.

i have no argument - noixe said that less than $40k was fine for him to get by in NY and i responded as i did to make the point that his situation is not reflective of others (at the MTA or otherwise) making the same amount.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    don't really got too much to add to this, just wanted to say that this is a very informative thread on NY real peoples politics. Enjoyed everyones posts except for the dumb ass "faggot" yelling

...carry on and teach me the ways of public transit...