philadelphia residents (NRR)

BigNachoBigNacho 47 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
i'll be moving to philadelphia next year and i'm only slightly familiar with the town. currently trying to locate good places to live without going broke. i would prefer to live in a commercial district but not one of these gentrified yuppie breeding grounds that seem to be popping up in every city. thanks in advance for any advice.bn

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    What do you mean by a 'commercial district'?

Speaking for myself, the West Philly/University City/Clark Park area is one of the most convenient and comfortable places to live here.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    are you trying to rent or buy?
    chinatown is real commercial, real dirty, and has some real cheap rent.
    west philly has some cheap rent hippie 7 bedroom situation type houses
    the more north you go, the better the rent, but the less commercial it is.

areyou trying to be near center city or just near any commercial district?
    why you moving up here.

no records in philly

• BigNachoBigNacho 47 Posts
    by "commercial district" i mean the opposite of a suburban wasteland. i prefer to live in an area where everything is close by. definitely renting.

i'm moving for work and i'll be there for 3 years, mostly at albert einstein and another facility in elkins park. my understanding is that the neighborhoods in that immediate vicinity are cheap but pretty boring.

i saw chinatown and thought it was really cool. what are the rents around there?

as for records, i intend to clean the entire city out.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    by "commercial district" i mean the opposite of a suburban wasteland. i prefer to live in an area where everything is close by. definitely renting.

i'm moving for work and i'll be there for 3 years, mostly at albert einstein and another facility in elkins park. my understanding is that the neighborhoods in that immediate vicinity are cheap but pretty boring.

i saw chinatown and thought it was really cool. what are the rents around there?

And by clean out your records, he means the "Soft Rock" variety. The opperative word being "clean."

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    my understanding is that the neighborhoods in that immediate vicinity are cheap but pretty boring.

West Philadelphia, born and raised?

chinatown rents could be anything, but you can fairly easily get a under 500 spot. i think.ive been out of the rental market ever since i moved back with my folks in the clarkpark area.

i'll ask my brethren though. he was just down there. you dont want ot be in elkins park. chinatown is close to all transportation, the gallery and all kind of roast ducks.

• thiknekthiknek 65 Posts
    There is a Teepee on Ridge Ave. Just after it crosses Fairmount.

Pay rent in possum skins ...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

WELCOME TO PHILADELPHIA!!![/b] Lot's of cheap housing to be found EVERYWHERE!!!