One More Media Created Myth Put To Rest (NRR)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Our country has more people looking for fires to throw gasoline on than any other!!Katrina Killed Across Class LinesThe well-to-do died along with the poor, an analysis of data shows. The findings counter common beliefs that disadvantaged blacks bore the brunt.entire story.......... http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Our country has more people looking for fires to throw gasoline on than any other!!

Katrina Killed Across Class Lines
    The well-to-do died along with the poor, an analysis of data shows. The findings counter common beliefs that disadvantaged blacks bore the brunt.

entire story.......... http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation

Delete please.

• Our country has more people looking for fires to throw gasoline on than any other!!

The well-to-do died along with the poor, an analysis of data shows. The findings counter common beliefs that disadvantaged blacks bore the brunt.

Delete please.

If it does happen to be true, why would you want to delete it?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Am I the only one who finds some irony that the "media created myth" is put to rest...through the media? Which is to say, they tend to be more responsible about this sort of thing (you know, mistakes) than the government.

By the way, this report is noting among those killed; it doesn't discuss the impact of Katrina on the survivors. I'd be curious to see a race and class analysis of that.

Our country has more people looking for fires to throw gasoline on than any other!!

Delete please.

If it does happen to be true, why would you want to delete it?

What's the point in this post? That Bush also doesn't care about rich people? It's just inflammatory crap about the "librul media" distributed by the corporate media and it's sole purpose is to obfuscate the issues of the immediate aftermath of Katrina. Class warfare is practiced by the right wing, not the left, and it's despicable.

BTW, I noticed the people who were quick to accuse the poor of looting and shooting, etc were all very quiet on the Heatrock front, even after the "liberal" media stories were debunked.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Am I the only one who finds some irony that the "media created myth" is put to rest...through the media? Which is to say, they tend to be more responsible about this sort of thing (you know, mistakes) than the government.

By the way, this report is noting among those killed; it doesn't discuss the impact of Katrina on the survivors. I'd be curious to see a race and class analysis of that.

This was reported by "Joachim Singelmann, director of the Louisiana Population Data Center at Louisiana State University"

The media who is created the belief based on hearsay and lies.

Delete please.

I'll shut up and go home....I was under the impression that this cite encouraged and enjoyed a good debate, looking at both sides of an issue. I didn't realize that if someone posted something that didn't fit with your personal agenda it could be deleted...my mistake.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    You are such a victim of SoulStrut.

This was reported by "Joachim Singelmann, director of the Louisiana Population Data Center at Louisiana State University"

Joachim Singelmann is a publisher?

Facts or some sort of intellectual argument please... Is it it true that the poor have gained immensely from Katrina and the rich have suffered unfairly? Wow, that sounds like a revolution is happening down there. Have they also now adopted some sort of totalitarian government? You'd think the Liberal Media would be quick to celebrate this with a news story or two.

Delete please.

I'll shut up and go home....I was under the impression that this cite encouraged and enjoyed a good debate, looking at both sides of an issue. I didn't realize that if someone posted something that didn't fit with your personal agenda it could be deleted...my mistake.

I was just expressing my opinion. I wouldn't ask a mod to delete, I would ask you to reconsider it. However, posting inflammatory crap about Americans gets you banned on this site. Just depends where you are posting from I guess.

I was just expressing my opinion. I wouldn't ask a mod to delete, I would ask you to reconsider it. However, posting inflammatory crap about Americans gets you banned on this site. Just depends where you are posting from I guess.

Why would this be inflammatory but the article on spying is not...I guess I don't understand the "rules" here.

You missed the point of my post: in order to point out that the media is based on hearsy and lies, you turned to A NEWSPAPER ARTICLE and not just any newspaper, but the LA Times (i.e. as mainstream as you can get).

My point being: the media is in the business of correcting itself, painful as that may be. That is not something you can really say about the gov't. Instead, who does it fall to in order to correct them?

The media.

By the way, in terms of being more accurate here, I think one of the problems you've seen - and that's frequently been noted - is that 24 hour news channels are desperate to "find" news anywhere and places like CNN and yes, Fox, etc. play a big role in over-hyping stories because they think it will net ratings for them.

To to say magazines and newspapers don't fuck up, but their desperation for attention doesn't seem quite as bad.

Why would this be inflammatory but the article on spying is not...I guess I don't understand the "rules" here.

Whatever, carry on, I'm going back to RR mode. There's plenty of others with more patience than me.

The problem is that once the media reports it, repeatedly, it becomes "the truth".

My job requires that I deal with people in 80 different countries and I can tell you that the majority of the people I spoke to around the world after Katrina truly believed that only poor black people were effected, killed or homeless.

When I tried to explain that alot of middle to upper class white folks were harmed as well they found it hard to believe, mainly because it wasn't reported....why not??

Mayor Nagin came out and admitted that his early claims of death, rape, etc. were overly excited mis-statements. I didn't see any similar disclaimers by the media.

There is an overwhelming belief that Katrina and the lack of our Government's caring for minorities made them the only victims of this disaster.

The purpose of my posting an article that was strictly reporting the results of an independent study was to show this wasn't true.

I think the programs that have been put into place post-Katrina have been amazingly humanitarian across racial/ethnic lines.

I also think that Katrina was a once in a lifetime disaster that could NOT have been properly prepared for. And when we have the once in a lifetime Earthquake, the results will be the same. There is only so much humans can do.

I distrust ALL politicians and have stated such here before. But I don't hate America and everything it stands for and while our government leaves alot to be desired, it does a hell of a job in the big picture.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    R*ch, you are good peoples, but arguing about the wealth level of dead bodies is, to me:
    A) irrelevant
    B) immaterial

That is my caveat with this article. You are from T*xas. One would assume you had visited and/or knew a lot about New Orleans before the hurricane. Rich people have money in the bank to maybe rebuild their lives after the Hurricane. Poor folk do not. This hurricane has devastated and effectively ruined the lives of many poor folk, many of whom lived in New Orleans. I visited that city roughly one year before the disaster and loved it. What struck me about it though was the extreme amounts of evident poverty throughout the city, no matter where I went, barring Lakeside. I was told the unemployment rate amongst African American males aged 18-40 was something like 60%[/b]. The government did not react quickly because the areas affected had large populaces of poor peoples, black, white, latino, that the government doesn't give a fuck about. This article was macabre and arguing about the body's socioeconomic status dehumanizes these victims.

Peace
    T.N.

Rockadelic,

The problem is that once the media reports it, repeatedly, it becomes "the truth".

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the point of the media to report on truth? Or at least, the facts?

Mayor Nagin came out and admitted that his early claims of death, rape, etc. were overly excited mis-statements. I didn't see any similar disclaimers by the media.

Question: how did you know that Nagin came out and admit these were "overly excited mis-statements"? Did you read that in, say, a newspaper? Or catch it on, say, the news?

I think the programs that have been put into place post-Katrina have been amazingly humanitarian across racial/ethnic lines.

And you would know this how? Because you read about said programs in a newspaper or magazine or on tv news? Why trust what the media is reporting now?

I also think that Katrina was a once in a lifetime disaster that could NOT have been properly prepared for.

Hmm...you think this despite the fact that even President Bush admitted the federal government's response was inadequate? Even though pretty much every public official up and down the chain of command has admitted some level of culpability?

Yet you know better. Katrina was all Mother Nature and had nothing to do with the ineptitude of the response?

I don't know where you live but I live in S.F. They are tearing shit down all the time to make it more earthquake safe and that doesn't lead me to think that if the Big One hit, I can just chill and not sweat shit. But at least I know there's actually steps being taken. In the case of New Orleans, there's a long history of neglect that goes in regards to shoring up the levee system. the failure of the levees wasn't on Bush solely: it was on a chain of local, state and national officials who decided it wasn't urgent enough or worth the expense to protect the city.

It's one thing for an earthquake to hit: you can't remotely control the severity of that. But with a levee system: you know EXACTLY where the points of weakness are, you know what would need to be done to protect against the so-called "once in a lifetime" hurricances that might swing through (even though we've had THREE LEVEL FIVE HURRICANES THIS PAST SUMMER AND FALL). Sorry but Katrina was an Act of God compounded in a major way by the Folly of Man. To remove human accountability isn't just naive, it's civil negligence.

The government did not react quickly because the areas affected had large populaces of poor peoples, black, white, latino, that the government doesn't give a fuck about.

Here's where we disagree...I believe the government does care about these people.

And the fact that we have more goverment programs to help the poor than any other country on the face of the earth leads me to believe this.

I can't remember the name of the black preacher from N.O. who sounded like one of the few voices of reason during Katrina who said that sadly, alot of the poverty stricken people in N.O. didn't give a fuck about themselves.

And the fact that we have more goverment programs to help the poor than any other country on the face of the earth leads me to believe this.

Source of your "fact" please?

Maybe you didn't get the memo but the New Deal's been over for a few decades.

I can't remember the name of the black preacher from N.O. who sounded like one of the few voices of reason during Katrina who said that sadly, alot of the poverty stricken people in N.O. didn't give a fuck about themselves.

Ah, the old "let's blame the poor for being poor" argument.

I take it back: at least Vitamin made some thoughtful arguments instead of retreading talking points from AM talk radio.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Ah, the old "let's blame the poor for being poor" argument.

I take it back: at least Vitamin made some thoughtful arguments instead of retreading talking points from AM talk radio.

No shit. When I first read that quote my immediate thought was "here we go...".

Rockadelic, you're looking progressively worse with each post.

The media, both left and right, can and do manipulate stories. If you don't believe this you are naive."

"The story that I linked, the results of a study, contradict what many Americans believe, and possibly "want" to believe. I just thought some other facts should be seen."

"Oprah was where Mayor Nagin first stated it."

I have friends and relatives who live(d) in N.O. and are being the recipients of these programs. We have people right here on SS who are being helped and it had nothing to do with their racial, ethnic or economic background."

One of the big questions facing N.O. right now is to rebuild or not...many experts have said that regardless as to how much money is thrown at the Levee problem, the location and geography of the city makes it impossible to prevent another category 5 storm from doing similar damage.

I also know that FEMA has responded, without incident, to at least 15 Hurricanes over the last 5 years and there were no complaints.

My quote from the Preacher was just that, a quote. You can trash HIM for saying it....I'm just the messenger.

I don't think alot of folks here look at these issues with an unbiased eye.

The statement "I'm a victim of Soulstrut" must mean something???

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Delete please.

cosign with Rich on this one. trying to silence someones opinon, media story, or combinatino of both is the opitomy of

Censoring views is wack

Delete please.

cosign with Rich on this one. trying to silence someones opinon, media story, or combinatino of both is the opitomy of

Censoring views is wack

I'm all about self-censorship, and will defend it to the death.

GET ON MY LEVEL

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The media, both left and right, can and do manipulate stories. If you don't believe this you are naive."

"The story that I linked, the results of a study, contradict what many Americans believe, and possibly "want" to believe. I just thought some other facts should be seen."

I think you're missing O-dub's point though Rock. You're saying that the Katrina story about only the poor being victims was created by the media based upon hearsay and lies. You also say that the media in general, no matter wha their political persuasion manipulates stories. And to prove your point you're using a media report. Your perception of what is "true" and "false" about Katrina is shaped by the same media you're claiming is biased and manipulative. That was the irony that O-Dub was trying to point out.

I think you're missing O-dub's point though Rock. You're saying that the Katrina story about only the poor being victims was created by the media based upon hearsay and lies. You also say that the media in general, no matter wha their political persuasion manipulates stories. And to prove your point you're using a media report. Your perception of what is "true" and "false" about Katrina is shaped by the same media you're claiming is biased and manipulative. That was the irony that O-Dub was trying to point out.

No, you're missing my point....the media "reports" as they choose....depending on their political leanings they will manipulate accordingly.

If a poor man wins the lottery one paper can focus on how the government screwed him by taking a big chunk out in taxes while another can report that the government sponsored lottery helps poor people.

Both are "theoretically" true, but they were reported in a way to support one or another political view....and they are both bullshit(imo)

There is one indisputable fact...this dude won the lottery

In this case, the one fact is that Katrina killed x amount of people and they ran the gamut from rich to poor......period

This is NOT what most of the American/International media reported while it was going on. Nor is it what most people believe.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Delete please.

Censoring views is wack

I'm all about self-censorship, and will defend it to the death.

GET ON MY LEVEL

Bit your tongue! Guzzle occupies his own permanent and immutable level and it is unlkely that he will be joining any of us on any other levels.

• Our country has more people looking for fires to throw gasoline on than any other!!

I think the problem some people are having here is that the intent of playing up this particular statistic is to make people think that somehow minorities were not overwhelmingly the victims of this disaster. Despite the fact that the people who died as a result of Katrina broke down more evenly, the people actaully affected by the disaster, i.e. lost homes, employment, etc were in fact overwhelmingly black.
    The Fox News crowd will take this statistic back to the country club and the American Legion hall and talk about it like they were "right" about the whole mess and that it's now all over and done with.
    What this is "about" is throwing factoids at an audience that's neither willing nor able to parse the propaganda.
    I mean, what's your point?

The findings counter common beliefs that disadvantaged blacks bore the brunt.

Huh? This is clearly bullshit. What's next, a statistic about how more white people lost cars, or how the damage to homes was more costly in white neighborhoods???

No one is suggesting that your comments be censored. I think what they want is for you to bring something to the table more substantial than the latest piece of shit to fall out of Bill O'Reilly's mouth.

I think the problem some people are having here is that the intent of playing up this particular statistic is to make people think that somehow minorities were not overwhelmingly the victims of this disaster. Despite the fact that the people who died as a result of Katrina broke down more evenly, the people actaully affected by the disaster, i.e. lost homes, employment, etc were in fact overwhelmingly black.
    The Fox News crowd will take this statistic back to the country club and the American Legion hall and talk about it like they were "right" about the whole mess and that it's now all over and done with.
    What this is "about" is throwing factoids at an audience that's neither willing nor able to parse the propaganda.

Huh? This is clearly bullshit. What's next, a statistic about how more white people lost cars, or how the damage to homes was more costly in white neighborhoods???

No one is suggesting that your comments be censored. I think what they want is for you to bring something to the table more substantial than the latest piece of shit to fall out of Bill O'Reilly's mouth.

So any "factoid" that doesn't support America Sucks and "George Bush doesn't care about black people" is irrelevent.

The reason I posted this was that most people I speak to have opinions, based on media reporting, that contradict what I don't think can be disputed as the truth.

By no means does this address the economical effects on the poor OR rich people of N.O., nor was it intended to.....nowhere will you see anything I posted to suggest such.

The result of Katrina was not selective genocide as some people believe.

But then again, some people believe George Bush personally blew up the levee's with sticks of dynomite that he bought for $10 Billion Dollars from Halliburton.

Who's mouth did that piece of shit fall from???

So any "factoid" that doesn't support America Sucks and "George Bush doesn't care about black people" is irrelevent.

The reason I posted this was that most people I speak to have opinions, based on media reporting, that contradict what I don't think can be disputed as the truth.

By no means does this address the economical effects on the poor OR rich people of N.O., nor was it intended to.....nowhere will you see anything I posted to suggest such.

The result of Katrina was not selective genocide as some people believe.

But then again, some people believe George Bush personally blew up the levee's with sticks of dynomite that he bought for $10 Billion Dollars from Halliburton.

So far - as I've never heard that little bit of agit prop - just yours.
    America doesn't suck.
    George Bush does suck (on so many levels it's shocking) and clearly cares about no one who isn't sitting on a pile of money (or a stack of bibles).

I don't believe that claim but there's clear precedent for the concern.

Study up!