Who drinks that Vernors?

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central

I can't get enough of this shit, for real.

It has that funky flavor that no other ginger ale can touch.

Seems either you love it or you hate it.

Anyone else with me on this?

Comments

• i had it while on tour in detroit. this summer i was at a yard sale here in nj by my house. i spot this guy drinkign a vernor's. i'm like, "where did you get that shit?" he goes, ""detroit". then he proceeded to hand me two cans. "enjoy", he said. i need some more of that in my life.

• hate it. anyone who enjoys this shit is borderline masochistic.

yet everyone time i see one in the fridge i have to try it, just to remind myself.

• fuck yes this shit is delicious...try it with some vanilla stoli.

Why? The shit is good. Although I will say the initial fizz can be a killer.

It tastes so much better than regular ginger ale - compared to Vernor's, they're just carbonated sugar water.

• I need this on a t-shirt...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    What you know about a Boston Cooler?

Get soft serve ice cream and blend it with vernors. it insane.

In Flint there is this Old Vernors Mural on the side of a building. It shows these gnome type things making and storing vernors in wooden barrels. It scared me when I was young because I thought those gnomes actually made the vernors.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Seems either you love it or you hate it.

I worked for 7-up Michigan for 3 years throughout college. We distributed Vernors so I worked with that shit evey single day. I dont drink soda, so I actually never had it. But I remember folks would get very pissed if it was out of stock like: "christ, what am I going to do now? and dont suggest that Canada Dry shit, its not the same!". Then there would be people would interrupt me just to let me know how much they hated Vernors: "hey kid why do you sell that? its garbage! blah blah blah"

• pm me larry.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    When I move away from Michigan, I will miss Vernors. I will miss Faygo.

I don't drink soda / pop / soda pop, but still... the shit's the best. Vernors deserves the Barq's slogan - "Vernors got bite (upon first couples of sips)."

• The first time I came back to Detroit from when I lived in New Orleans I drank about 50 cans of Vernors, like it was tapped from the fountain of All That Is The D.

My mom was like "You should take some cases nack to New Orleans". I thought that would be corny, carrying two cases of soda pop on an airplane, but she kept at it until I gave in. Sure enough I get to the airport and notice about 20 other people doing the exact same thing, carry on luggage slung over their shoulder and a case of Vernors in their hand, pleasantly going to their respected parts of the country.

The bartender at my favorite bar down in New Orleans (The Hideout on Decatur, now long gone) was from Detroit and would trade me a shot of Wild Turkey and a beer for a can of Vernors.

Deep beats and deep crates,

Sonic

wait. You can only get vernors in MI?

• wait. You can only get vernors in MI?

before Pepsi bought them it was a Detroit based company, made here and distributed locally. I'm not sure anymore.

Anyone remember the Ted Nugent Vernors TV commercials? With him in only a fur loin clothe with an extremely hot asian woman in a bikini next to him lying on a bearskin rug next to a raging fireplace? He looks dead into the camera and says something about how there's lots of different way to drink Vernors, but he likes his (with emphasis) "hotttttt!" as he pulls the asian woman closer. Classic.

wait. You can only get vernors in MI?

before Pepsi bought them it was a Detroit based company, made here and distributed locally. I'm not sure anymore.

Anyone remember the Ted Nugent Vernors TV commercials? With him in only a fur loin clothe with an extremely hot asian woman in a bikini next to him lying on a bearskin rug next to a raging fireplace? He looks dead into the camera and says something about how there's lots of different way to drink Vernors, but he likes his (with emphasis) "hotttttt!" as he pulls the asian woman closer. Classic.

I knew it was detroit based. But I have always grown up with vernors so I just take it for granted that it is there. Same with Faygo (which I LOVE. Its cheap and reminds me of my Little league games)

and yes. I remember that commercial!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I knew it was detroit based. But I have always grown up with vernors so I just take it for granted that it is there. Same with Faygo [/b] (which I LOVE. Its cheap and reminds me of my Little league games)

Faygo soda is so god damn necessary.

• best Faygo is this jam...

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    I grew up looking at this...

Doc, remember when they where going to tear this down!!!

I love this stuff. Straight, Diet, w/Crown, w/ vanil Stoli, w/ concentrated OJ in a blender!!![/b]

Boston Cooler!!!

Come to Flint/Detroit we'll drink ginger ale and listen to records

Doc, remember when they where going to tear this down!!!

Boston Cooler!!!

Come to Flint/Detroit we'll drink ginger ale and listen to records

word! I couldnt belive they wanted to tear it down. I need to go out there and get me some good pics of it next time im in town. Im glad its still there though.

Halo burger is my shit. Even in the dead of winter I cop a Boston Cooler! yummy.

• whoa didnt know vernors was michigan only. i grew up in the bay area and my mom used to bring that stuff home all the time from the supermarket. no idea where she got it though.

i loved it like a fat kid loves cake.

• It's not and hasn't been for a long time if ever.

Of course on a relative scale I'm not very far from Detroit so maybe it was regional. However I remember an elderly neighbor who used to whip up ice cream floats with Vernors when I was a kid back in the 80s, and I live in Ohio.

• yeh its all over Ohio... I think it gets some nastional distro through stores like Krogers. But I think primarily its a regional drink similar to (but not quite the same as) Cheerwine...

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

• ha