All Time Rinkers

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
What records, that you find in the field regularly, are always rinked?My top five:Troggs- From NowhereMarvin Gaye- Live at the PalladiumMiles Davis- In a Silent WayHerbie Hancock- HeadhuntersJames Brown- Sex MachineParty records (cepting Miles) get thrashed.

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    BTW I need a clean copy of the Troggs LP.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    James Brown-The Payback
    Let's Do It Again OST-Staples Singers
    Al Green -pretty much all titles pre-1977
    All Otis Redding LPs
    All Sam and Dave LPs

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Herbie Hancock- Headhunters
    hmm it's the other way around for me with this one. i always find immaculate copies of this

• any disco 12"

Sly Stone records

Marvin Gaye to an extent

24 Karat Black

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

24 Karat Black

Yeah, although I have only seen this a few times.

• Maggot Brain

• I've been buying rinked recs for a long time now (see the dustygroove/coaster thread) and here are the ones that, 9 times out of 10, are in horrible condition:

Any and all 70's James Brown and JBs lps
    Donny Hathaway "Live"
    Marvin Gaye "What's Going On"
    Al Green lps

btw, please feel free to send all rinked records to me...

• Oh yeah, early hip-hop 12"s, Younger Generation springs to mind as well as most titles on Enjoy... Bra 12"s... always rinked... Cymande S/T also...

• Any James Brown LP's before 1980 but the winner here in DC is the Wild Magnolias LP. I found at least ten of these before I could find a keeper. Found one this morning and threw it in the dollar bin. Sold an hour later.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Yo, coaster man, your registration date is FANNY.

Is there a market for argentinian record labels coasters? I got a room full of those

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Cymande S/T also...

I always find this in great condition

• chrischris 287 Posts
    45-wise we could be here all day, but here's a couple lps i see frequently that are 90% of the time in vg- or lower condition:

-eddie fisher - the third cup
    -charles earland - black talk
    -oliver sain - main man
    -last poets - s/t
    -bobby byrd - i need help (i've only come across this a few times but each time it was pulverized)
    -any of the first 3 kool and the gangs

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

-bobby byrd - i need help (i've only come across this a few times but each time it was pulverized)

priced conveniently at a low 75$ at a certain Indianapolis record store at that.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    priced conveniently at a low 75$ at a certain Indianapolis record store at that.

ha! i came across one in similar condition for $5 and still passed on it.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Any blue label King LPs. everything else is mint compared to them.

Cymande S/T
    Al Green LPs (45s are usually fine)
    Sly Stone

Taana Gardner & Loose Joints
    Rapper's Delight yo.
    BT Express LP
    Vanilla Fudge
    Billy Cobham - Spectrum ??

• Herbie Hancock- Headhunters
    hmm it's the other way around for me with this one. i always find immaculate copies of this

• -charles earland - black talk

I'm always finding this beat to shit as well

• your registration date is FANNY.

i'm not hip to this term...?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Fania or Vaya records
    Cymande
    Johnny Guitar Watson
    Instant Funk-I Got My Mind Made Up
    Bollywood records usually have some rink to em, makes me sad
    old school hip hop records
    African funk records
    Whatnauts

Peace
    T.N.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    fucking blowfly and any spanish joints I see

• I've found that Funkadelic albums are some of the most decimated records out there.

any disco 12"

You need to (NOT) come down to NC. Almost every disco 12" I've copped has come from one DJ's collection or another, but they always look like they've never been played at all. Maybe I'm just picking up the record pool joints those dudes never bothered spinning.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've found that Funkadelic albums are some of the most decimated records out there.

Maggot Brain in particular. I cried tears of joy when my clean copy came in the mail last week.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Dramatics - Whatcha See is Whatcha Get - Volt LP

...one of those records everone sniffs at as "common" or whatever, but the day I find a truly clean OG I will be very satisfied. I have "In the Rain" on 2 45's & 2 LP's, and ALL of them play with noise.

• Gil Scott Heron - Winter In America

Hands down all time rinker for me. I probably passed on 50 copies before finally finding one that looked OK.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

...one of those records everone sniffs at as "common" or whatever, but the day I find a truly clean OG I will be very satisfied. I have "In the Rain" on 2 45's & 2 LP's, and ALL of them play with noise.

yeah, definitely. I ended up paying $20 for a sealed one a few years back. Worth every cent.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    all the copies of that lp ive found round here have been very clean. i dont see it often, but when i do, its not beat. possibly the greatest soul album ever IMO

• Curtis - Live

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Great stuff. You all reminded me of several I had forgotten. It's seems like there is a conspiracy to water damage the cover of every "America Eats Its Young". As far as KATG it's "Wild and Peaceful" that wins most rinked. And I have to agree, Gil Scotts "Winter" is always heated.

45s
    James Brown- There Was A Time
    Anything on Excello prior to 1963

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

I finally got a minty 45 of this song a few months ago, took long enough though for sure.

Jimmy Castor LPs always seem screwed and co-sign on Otis Redding, in fact most of that "popular" Atlantic/Stax stuff is tricky to find clean.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

45s
    James Brown- There Was A Time

But it still plays!