Barbara Mason, Arctic, and Philly Sweet Soul

2»

Comments

• If someone has copies to let loose of either of these, I want to talk to you.

149 - Honey & The Bees - Love Addict / I'll Be There - 1969

154 - Barbara Mason - You Better Stop It / Happy Girl - 1969

You mean the two funk 45s on Arctic?

Barbara Mason is soul IMO. Love Addict is a breath taking piece of dancefloor action. I need it!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    If someone has copies to let loose of either of these, I want to talk to you.

149 - Honey & The Bees - Love Addict / I'll Be There - 1969

154 - Barbara Mason - You Better Stop It / Happy Girl - 1969

You mean the two funk 45s on Arctic?

Barbara Mason is soul IMO. Love Addict is a breath taking piece of dancefloor action. I need it!

Just havin' a bit of fun. 2 GREAT 45s. I'd like 'em both myself.

• "Don't let the good girls go bad" .

GREAT record!

I have the Ambassadors LP. One of my favorites. Been trying to find time to rip it but time is, as they say, running and passing, passing and running.

Carl Carlton "46 Drums & 1 Guitar" is the shit!

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    thanx a lot pickwick and funky16, ima have to pick those cd's up along wit the capsoul comp ive been meaning to grab.

JKriss

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    A couple of other Arctic-era sweet harmony groups that I love, who I don't think got mentioned - both featuring falsetto leads:

The Van Dykes out of Texas, featuring Eddie Dixon's legendary falsetto. They have a stack of good 45's on Mala, and I think may even have a raer LP on there, too.

The Invincibles, out of L.A., were a trio of all falsetto singers. They have sides on Loma and Warner Brothers, and their hit, "Heart Full of Love" is an astounding mix of sweet, heartbreaking vocals and raw instrumentation, with a ringing guitar sound. No Lp from these guys, I'm pretty sure.

Oh, and mid-60's Exciters material, on Shout and a handful of labels, stands up to the Arctic stuff really well. I want the later Exciters LP's, on Roulette and RCA.

• mark dobson [dobsoul@tinyworld.co.uk]
    Try this young man. I gave him a pile of records a couple of months ago to sell for me. I am sure the "you better stop it" was in there. He is also the best digger I know for Soul 45's.

Keb

• The Van Dykes out of Texas, featuring Eddie Dixon's legendary falsetto. They have a stack of good 45's on Mala, and I think may even have a raer LP on there, too.

They did - on Mala's parent label, Bell. There is a CD compilation on Sundazed.

Oh, and mid-60's Exciters material, on Shout and a handful of labels, stands up to the Arctic stuff really well. I want the later Exciters LP's, on Roulette and RCA.

I have an early-70's album that the Exciters did on the Today label. Not bad, although probably more soulful than sweet.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    He is also the biggest spender I know for Soul 45's.