the revenge of mister mopoji OST

DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
dug this out of my soundtrack section. i hadn't listened to it in a while. music by mike jackson and the soul providers. any thoughts?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    neo funk album done by the Desco peoples. The Soul Privders have another album on Desco called "Gimme the Paw" probably the most in demand full length on the label.

Personally I like the album, always a fun play out and gave it a few spins on my old radio show.

• i have gimme the paw. i dig it.

• Not my favorite desco release, but it definitely has moments, as all their stuff does. Obviously a fake soundtrack, Phillip from Desco/Soul Fire was into doing shit like that.

When he did the Pure label (pre desco) he did a comp called 'Some Other Kind of Meat' which has a bunch of 'reissued' tracks which were actually new sessions, but the band names and liner notes were pretty retarded. Muhavishla Ravi Hatchud and the Indo Jazz Following?! Which was Leo from the meters on electric sitar and various other folks. Lloyd Knibbs (OG drummer from the Skatalites) also plays on this LP. Joey Altruda (longtime LA ska/latin/jazz bassist) is all over that rekkid, and is responsible for Pepino Suave & The Sounds of Zodiak, who's 'Martha's Pozole' was supposedly a regional hit on the tiny island of San Remo in 1969. Rrrright. I always wished Altruda and co. made more funk records instead of going the cocktail route, which was fashionable at the time, Combustible Edison, etc, etc. Talkin' mid 90's.

'Switchblade' off Gimmee the Paw is a slept on early Sharon Jones side, pretty hilarious lyrics. Sharon coming off a wee bit psycho. With shit like the Naturally LP tho, I think Gabe Ross and co. have really entered a golden period with both the production and songwriting. Fucking unbelievable LP. The ballad with Lee Field's, 'Stranded in Your Love' kills.

Another desco burner is Joseph Henry's 'Who's the King (You Know That Me)'. I've seen Keb Darge drop this, and gets a little action on ebay, which is twisted cos the shit ain't that old, but supply/demand. Naomi Davis' 'Forty-First Street Breakdown' also is hot. Their old studio was right by the Lincoln Tunnel on 41st street, mad, mad exhaust as you headed down into the basement. They recorded quite of bit of shit thurr, neal sugarman's early output, and I believe the 1st Anti-Balas single. 9 people recorded with 1 mic. Gabe is on some schlitz.

$??

• $??

thanks! you definitely know your shit. pm coming your way sometime soon.

btw, switchblade is the shit.