POSTING LIVE FROM THE WEDDING GIG YO

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Hey ya'll just posting in between DJ sets at a wedding gig I'm spinning at. There's a band playing in between and damn they good - they've already done covers of "Thank You Fallettin Me Be Mice Elf Agin" and "Song For My Father" (done Wes Montgomery style). Obviously this club has internet access, allowing me to report to you live and direct. The crowd ain't got too crazy yet but they definitely went off to Sharon Jones & TDK cover of "Just Checked in..."Also this place is a cafe/thrift store so I did some digging and pulled a stack of 30 records for $1/each, including some Scarface, UGK, & Juvenile promo 12"s from a few years back.Anybody else wanna report from their local internet cafe?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Either get back to work or go answer my question about that indian version of Love Story. Hit the back button and scroll down, beeeeyitch!

p.s. can you play something that i can dance to?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Ok the band is doing a cover of Cissy Strut and peoples is going off

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    THE BAND ROCKS, MARCO

YOU DO, TOO

WHAT IT DEW? WEDDING MUST BE OFF THE CHAIN FOR YOU TO BE POSTING DURING IT, FANY

PLAY SOME TOO SHORT

The cover of Use Me they're doing now is pretty tight.

The dreadlocked frontman/sax/flute player can sang his ass off for real

Uh oh - "Let's Get It On" got all the couples on the floor. People digging 'em. Even one of the bartenders got his hands in the air, yelling

• Let us know when the band plays "Take Me to the Mardi Gras" without the bells.

M*rk I played Missy Elliott and L.O.N.S. and people weren't having it. It's strictly old soul and funk

INDIAN LOVE STORY? I ain't checked SS in a few days G*ry

Wait til I give you the tracklisting of the CD the groom gave me

kinda off the hook

oh snap

cover of meters' struttin

im gonna dance

oh snap

cover of meters' struttin

im gonna dance

JEAH!!!!!!

I finished my last DJ set with a cut off the new Joe Bataan (they loved it) and Johnny Otis "Watts Breakaway." The band knew to ride a good thing, so they started vamping off the J. Otis as it faded out, did a count, and did an extended JB jam. The floor was full, then they did a kinda unrecognizable cover of 54-46 Was My Number.

HOWS YOUR CITY DOING, MF'S!?!?!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I finished my last DJ set with a cut off the new Joe Bataan (they loved it) and Johnny Otis "Watts Breakaway." The band knew to ride a good thing, so they started vamping off the J. Otis as it faded out, did a count, and did an extended JB jam. The floor was full, then they did a kinda unrecognizable cover of 54-46 Was My Number.

it's a quiet sunday morning in bombay, and i wish i was at a certain wedding getting dronk.

did I mention the 70s looking kid with the mustache and bellbottoms breakdancing or the nerdy younger brother doing the worm on the filthy club floor?

did I mention the 70s looking kid with the mustache and bellbottoms breakdancing or the nerdy younger brother doing the worm on the filthy club floor?

whoa

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    lets put things into perspective
    if it was the 70s and said band put out an album of mostly covers on a small independent label,
    how much would you all pay for it today on ebay?

• DAAAYUMN! sounds like the ultimate wedding gig / ultimate gig in general. wish i coulda heard the crowd's version of 54-46.

Portland was off the nag champa chain tonight. I DJed in the hip hop room of this two-level drum and bass type party at a club called the Viper Room (not to be confused with ... the Viper Room). Alter Echo and I did a live PA set of dubbed out ragga-tinged rap and remixes, then I spun some dancehall and street legal rap records.

In attendance: Many fany ravers, hippies, goth ravers, raver hippies, goth hippies, sweaty dudes with ashtray breath who wanted to talk to me about Craig Mack (???) and fanned themselves off in my direction (blowing their stink Mikewards), sweaty goths, some kid with a crustache and a Tech N9ne shirt which I thought was a look I left behind in St. Louis, this aggro looking dude in sunglasses, dayglo orange vest, and a blue flowery skirt, ravery sweaty hippies, and a dude who i think was wearing makeup and came to sit next to me and look at his phone and ask me (sitting / slouching / bored / tired / with arms crossed) "Are you having fun yet?"

What a weird gig. At least I got paid well. Wait... no I didn't.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    DAAAYUMN! sounds like the ultimate wedding gig / ultimate gig in general.

Same thing happened to me yesterday! Not a great band but the best wedding gig I could have hoped for...A STAX WEDDING!!! I played Duck Dunn's niece's wedding outside in a gazebo on the bank of the mighty Missippi river yesterday. You know...the bass player for Booker T. & MGs. Got payed well to play 50s-60s R&B and early Stax!

This is the gazebo I was in...

And this was the veiw I had...

Hearing your Otis Redding records loud as hell coming off the banks of the Missippi at sunset is an uplifting experience.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    so you got your system in time i see...

word up!