what would you put on a roots of heavy metal mix

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited December 2005 in Music Talk
Steppenwolf- Born to Be WildThe Beatles- Helter SkelterBlue Cheer- Out of FocusThe Open Mind- Magic PotionBlack Sabbath- Black SabbathParliament- Red Hot Mama

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    anything from the first Budgie LP. anything from the s/t Jamul LP. Anything by Pentagram. "Nile Song" by Pink Floyd. "Super stupid" by Funkadelic. "Move Over" by Slade. Anything from the 2nd Stooges LP. "I want you" by the MC5. Something from the first Man Lp.

• Need some Deep Puple on there. "Smoke on the Water" mayhaps.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Look into...

Sir Lord Baltimore
    St. Anthony's Fyre
    Bolder Damn
    Baumstaum

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Well, if you wanna say "The Monks," then that's all right with me.

1966 and mean as Cape Buffaloes. More punk than Metal, but that gutter guitar on I Hate You is deep deep.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Steppenwolf- Born to Be Wild
    The Beatles- Helter Skelter
    Blue Cheer- Out of Focus
    The Open Mind- Magic Potion
    Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath
    Parliament- Red Hot Mama

The Stooges - No fun
    Hendrix - Machine gun
    Something noisy from Velvet Underground.

Peace

• early sabbath for sure

• BOC

Attached files

• Some Doors Maybe?
    Heavy type Zappa like from Chunga's Revenge possibly?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    bubble puppy?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Grand Funk

• Scorpions - Virgin Killer
    Judas Priest - Island Of Domination
    Skyhooks - Women In Uniform
    Jethro Tull - Hymn 43
    Focus - Hocus Pocus
    Iron Butterfly - In a gadda da vidda

• Bob Seger & The Last Heard- Heavy Music Part 1

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    bo diddley- bo diddley (1955)

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    bo diddley- bo diddley (1955)

Aahhh!!!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Litter - Emerge - ABC/Probe

• The Ventures

• Link Wray

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    in addition to aforementioned artists, Vanilla Fudge

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i think you need to kick that box off with some kinks and some troggs and there was also a band called the who

• Blue Cheer's version of Summertime Blues

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This question is difficult - I mean, do you see Sabbath era bands as being "Metal", or do you see them as "proto metal" (barf), and see bands like Metallica as being the original "metal"??? I guess most people think of the original metal being late 70's/early 80's, but there are plenty of truly metal sounding bands/albums from the late 60's/early 70's. I would say Budgie is metal. I would say David Bowie's "the man who sold the world" lp is metal. So, therefore, the "roots of metal" would be a lot of early/mid 60's groups, no?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yes crink you speak truth

metallica is still new school to me as they were already influeced by "the new wave of brittish heavy metal"

you need some hawkwind up in that bitch too man

• This question is difficult - I mean, do you see Sabbath era bands as being "Metal", or do you see them as "proto metal" (barf), and see bands like Metallica as being the original "metal"??? I guess most people think of the original metal being late 70's/early 80's, but there are plenty of truly metal sounding bands/albums from the late 60's/early 70's. I would say Budgie is metal. I would say David Bowie's "the man who sold the world" lp is metal. So, therefore, the "roots of metal" would be a lot of early/mid 60's groups, no?

most people see it the roots coming from the late 60's/early 70's. That's why in 1980 they dubbed the glut of heavy bands coming out of England "The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal." The Metallica's of the world came 4-5 years after that and took shit to it's lowest point when they started doing Swizz Beats remixes.

This question is difficult - I mean, do you see Sabbath era bands as being "Metal", or do you see them as "proto metal" (barf), and see bands like Metallica as being the original "metal"??? I guess most people think of the original metal being late 70's/early 80's, but there are plenty of truly metal sounding bands/albums from the late 60's/early 70's. I would say Budgie is metal. I would say David Bowie's "the man who sold the world" lp is metal. So, therefore, the "roots of metal" would be a lot of early/mid 60's groups, no?

most people see it the roots coming from the late 60's/early 70's. That's why in 1980 they dubbed the glut of heavy bands coming out of England "The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal." The Metallica's of the world came 4-5 years after that and took shit to it's lowest point when they started doing Swizz Beats remixes.

but wouldn't the title "the new wave of heavy metal" in fact point to an already existing style?

• but wouldn't the title "the new wave of heavy metal" in fact point to an already existing style?

correct - that's why the roots of heavy metal is considered to be bands from the 60's/70s.

but wouldn't the title "the new wave of heavy metal" in fact point to an already existing style?

correct - that's why the roots of heavy metal is considered to be bands from the 60's/70s.

I guess I'm just looking at it like "the roots" is meaning bands pre-dating the coining of the genre.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    master of the universe - hawkwind

Babyface and Bad Reputation come to mind - ThinLizzy

• lotsa early 70s "hard rock" that gave birth to metal...

The Hard Stuff
    Fanny Adams
    Incredible Hog
    Tractor
    Toad
    Leafhound
    Jocefus
    Dust
    Sweet "Set me free" tell me this song doesnt sound like 80s metal
    Uli Jon Roth era Scorpions
    any thing from Judas Priest "Sad Wings of Destiny" LP..the first true metal-by-design LP

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think whether Black Sabbath is the first metal band or merely the direct inspiration for the first metal bands is up for debate...

Ozzy credits the early Kinks for turning him on to noise...

Pentagram and Judas Priest are the earliest post Sab metal groups that spring to mind