This American Life (radio related)

anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
How many of you listen to the This American Life radio show? For those who don't know it's a really great public talk radio program. Best described here:"...we do these stories that are like movies for radio. There are people in dramatic situations where things happen to them." David Sedaris and Sarah Vowell are regulars.The real audio conversion to mp3 thread made me aware that alot of us are listening to this program. I thought I was the only one.this thread I was hooked after my friend Kani taped me a few episodes on mini disc, and I distinctly remember being particularly riveted by an episode called "The House On Lake Loon." I'm in the process of making all of the streams mp3's now so suggestions on other stand out episodes would be appreciated!

Comments

• This is a good episode -- a history of pimping and 'the gaaame!'

Pimp Anthropology

• My wife and I have been fabs for a long time. One of the reasons we got Sirius satellite was none of our local NPR/PRI type stations were carrying TAL.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    "Oh, is that that show where all those hipster know-it-alls talk about how fascinating ordinary people are?"

• "Oh, is that that show where all those hipster know-it-alls talk about how fascinating ordinary people are?"

No, it's not.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    that was a pop-culture reference from 'the OC'

if I'm in the car & the show is on I'll listen, but Ira Glass annoys me - too smug & sounding.

I've heard funk 45s used as transitional music on there though - 'trespasser' once even. I think jamie hodge used to work on the show.

• my girlfriend LOVES this show and has gotten me into it...
    the one where they get all the people together to form a band from the local musician's classifieds, like a punk dude, a diva, a theremin player, a christian rocker etc, and put together a cover version of "rocket man"- that was some cool shit.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My only real annoyance with TAL is how all the major presenters on that show: Ira Glass, David Sedaris, Sarah Vowell, etc., have the most nasal voices. Like, is it a prerequisite to be able to talk through your nose to get on the show?

Oliver

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    My only real annoyance with TAL is how all the major presenters on that show: Ira Glass, David Sedaris, Sarah Vowell, etc., have the most nasal voices. Like, is it a prerequisite to be able to talk through your nose to get on the show?

Oliver

I don't know if they're required, but with a good speech impediment, there may be no stopping you from rising to the top at N.P.R. There is this one woman reporter at Chicago Public Radio who has one of the worst lisps I've ever heard, on the air or otherwise.

I caught a good T.A.L. episode on Saturday about this guy who rented an apartment above a mobbed-up social club in, I want to say, New Jersey.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

if I'm in the car & the show is on I'll listen, but Ira Glass annoys me - too smug & sounding.

I had the same impression of him for years. Then, a couple of years ago, I met him and was pleasantly surprised by how humble and genuine he was. Suppose that doesn't do much for the way he sounds on air, though.

I would highly recommend that everyone check out the Fiasco! episode, the first portion of which is absolutley hilarious.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Oliver

HAHAH WOOORRRRDD O-DUB!!!!

Ira sounds like he was just punched all warbly mouthed nasal and ish. But dude the show is radd and I am down with their steelo. It is fun and silly and revealing and personal. It is like a private issue talk show.

NOW IF ONLY JOE FRANK WAS AS BIG AS THESE FOLLS. JOE FRANK RULEZ THE WORLD, NEW THRAED IN PROGRESS.

• i love that show, a perfect satuday morning for me involves ordering pizza and listenign to TAL in bed w/my grrrl.

now for a personal pick: http://207.70.82.73/ra/90.ram Telephone
    the first story is very to me, 20 acts in 60 mins is also nice.