Lindy Hop vs. Balboa

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Dance related, DISCUSSvs.but for real, what happened to Dance Culture in general? Is there enough documentation about all those little funk dances like "The Penguin", "The Robot"? Were these real popular dances that got lost or were absorbed by general discodancing (in some way similar to the development of Funkmusic) or just some idea to promote the record better? Sharon Jones got me thinking when she was explaining about all those different dances during her gig...

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    do I get the option of runnin' a train on those 50s throwback hipster cobrasnake gals?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Things done changed.

• but for real, what happened to Dance Culture in general? Is there enough documentation about all those little funk dances like "The Penguin", "The Robot"? Were these real popular dances that got lost or were absorbed by general discodancing (in some way similar to the development of Funkmusic) or just some idea to promote the record better? Sharon Jones got me thinking when she was explaining about all those different dances during her gig...

if you're ever in SF go see Dick at Rooky's - he'll break it down for you. first time I met him he put on Chambers Bros "Funky" and started doing the Philly Dog. no lie.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i have no idea what you're talking about, but i think mannie fresh should start saying "bao-ba-ba-ba-bao rocky balboa" again..

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    do I get the option of runnin' a train on those 50s throwback hipster cobrasnake gals?

I wish I had the nerve to make this my location.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    what happened to Dance Culture in general?

Apart from the club dryhump wall stack action. I was thinking about the survival of certain really strong dance cultures.

I was in peru this summer working with kids, and we threw this kid party thing. Jesus these little children could boogie.

Salseros all of them. Obviously this is a cultural thing (it`s sad to think there every kid knows how to dance, here...vidoegames?)

In any case the thing with salsa is that the culture respects it and promotes it a lot but the music they use is old (classics in the sense funk is old) what will happen in 30 years or something cause reggaeton aint an answer

just a thought

• Salseros all of them. Obviously this is a cultural thing (it`s sad to think there every kid knows how to dance, here...vidoegames?)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    this is not scientific or anything but i think it has to do with not needing a dance/dance move to market songs anymore - the two seemed to go hand in hand up to the mid-80's, no? and i think because men and women go out in groups more than as couples - that shows on the dancefloor.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Good point bassie

I find though that an element was present before that is now absent. Dancing is still very important in the club. But before you would practice your steps and try to impress peeps and have a tight dance. Now its more looks and attitude.

• Good point bassie

I find though that an element was present before that is now absent. Dancing is still very important in the club. But before you would practice your steps and try to impress peeps and have a tight dance. Now its more looks and attitude.

I kinda of wonder - to add to both of your points (missbassie and pcmr) - that if part of it may also have something to do with just general looser social mores and all? I mean, a lot of those dances were kinda like ez "icebreakers" or codified slang to make it OK for two people to pair off and do their thing...the social implications aren't as strict now against just doing whatever whenever. I think looks and attitude have always had their place - when haven't they? - but yeah, those might be taking center stage above anything else anymore.

also - in pop music, anyway, - we've been drowning in Irony for so long that anything remotely eager (um, like lines like "hey everybody! here's that new dance called the _____________!") is generally instantly viewed cornball and naive....or ironically hep. you can't keep that kind of too-cool-for-school vibe up and not see it change the social landscape.

but then again, weren't people doing that hot new dance the Lean Back a couple summers ago? and man! what about dustin' off those shoulders?!?!?

Good point bassie

I kinda of wonder - to add to both of your points (missbassie and pcmr) - that if part of it may also have something to do with just general looser social mores and all? I mean, a lot of those dances were kinda like ez "icebreakers" or codified slang to make it OK for two people to pair off and do their thing...the social implications aren't as strict now against just doing whatever whenever. I think looks and attitude have always had their place - when haven't they? - but yeah, those might be taking center stage above anything else anymore.

also - in pop music, anyway, - we've been drowning in Irony for so long that anything remotely eager (um, like lines like "hey everybody! here's that new dance called the _____________!") is generally instantly viewed cornball and naive....or ironically hep. you can't keep that kind of too-cool-for-school vibe up and not see it change the social landscape.

but then again, weren't people doing that hot new dance the Lean Back a couple summers ago? and man! what about dustin' off those shoulders?!?!?

i agree with all that. i think like everything else in that realm - things are more informal and moves are more individual as opposed to rely on a partner.

i think new dance moves will never go away and to add to your examples - dancehall reggae has something new for the eyes all the time.

i loved all the parts in malcolm x's auotbio when he's talking about dancing and how compatible he was with different women and why.

• i loved all the parts in malcolm x's auotbio when he's talking about dancing and how compatible he was with different women and why.

true indeed! loved those grafs, too (and a favorite read in general) - and I still leave the bathroom light on when I leave the house for a few days...you know, to scare burglars...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I wish I had the nerve to make this my location.

YOU GOTS NO BOLLS, DOGGIE!!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this is not scientific or anything but i think it has to do with not needing a dance/dance move to market songs anymore - the two seemed to go hand in hand up to the mid-80's, no? and i think because men and women go out in groups more than as couples - that shows on the dancefloor.

I think this guy would disagree with you.

i think new dance moves will never go away - dancehall reggae has something new for the eyes all the time.

i think new dance moves will never go away - dancehall reggae has something new for the eyes all the time.

That's what happens when you post a reply before reading the rest of the thread. I just hope I don't get banned for that.

That's what happens when you post a reply before reading the rest of the thread. I just hope I don't get banned for that.

well, i disagree with his shirt.

but the pants, glasses, hair and jewelry are ok with you?

but the pants, glasses, hair and jewelry are ok with you?

lmho!

no, but...no.

• That's what happens when you post a reply before reading the rest of the thread. I just hope I don't get banned for that.

Down with the cup, so what up
    Sportin' the white and blue
    A thousand posts[/b] I'm slammin'
    And they still say, "Yo, we're bannin' you!"

But yes, Elephant Man's career has been almost exclusively dance songs for, what? two years now?

Willie Bounce = Great song, laaaaame dance