How to cook Rice Correctly????

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

it depends on what you're having - i don't want sticky rice with curries and stews or fried rice, but if it's going in soup or a burrito or a wrap - a little sticky/dense is fine.

You are so not Asian, are you?

please elaborate

How can you not want sticky rice with curry or stews? because i like my basmati fluffy [/b]
    You want little flaky rice with that stuff? no[/b]
    Same goes with fried rice. You ever tried to eat fried rice with chopsticks when it's NOT sticky? yes and i am not successful eating rice with chopsticks no matter how it's cooked. it's more a matter of consistency - i don't like sticky rice unless its plain white or brown[/b]

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    who eats the most rice?[/b] the chinese

walk into a chinese home and what will you find?[/b] a rice cooker 100% of the time

draw your own conclusions......

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    rice cooking secret: let that sh*t sit for 15 mins after cooking, before lifting the lid, WITH THE HEAT OFF.
    Also, make sure it cooks on low heat, NOT HIGH FOOLS.

If you have a rice cooker, use that instead

I skimmed this thread so apologies if this has been discussed

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    who eats the most rice?[/b] the chinese

baseless. what about the brown fam?

• chaepest way to buy a good rice cooker?

pick up your local japanese newspaper (i.e. Seikyo Shimbun)

look at classifieds*

find much japanese related goodness

*of course, you may need a friend who can speak/read japanese to act as middle man

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

it depends on what you're having - i don't want sticky rice with curries and stews or fried rice, but if it's going in soup or a burrito or a wrap - a little sticky/dense is fine.

please elaborate

How can you not want sticky rice with curry or stews? You want little flaky rice with that stuff? Same goes with fried rice. You ever tried to eat fried rice with chopsticks when it's NOT sticky?

odub speaketh the asian truths

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Hey I got sticky rice on my socks OH SNAP I hate it when that happens!!!!!!

DUDE, THAT IS LIKE MY NUMBER 2 PET PEEVE NEXT TO INCESSANT BAD ANNOYING CAREFREE WHISTLING

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

please elaborate

How can you not want sticky rice with curry or stews? You want little flaky rice with that stuff? Same goes with fried rice. You ever tried to eat fried rice with chopsticks when it's NOT sticky?

odub speaketh the asian truths

i take it by asian you don't mean born in asia?

• debardebar 215 Posts

does this mean you guys don't like sticky rice? i dont understand how people can eat that uncle bens/restaurant type rice that doesn't hold together when you mash it with a fork and spoon... i wash my rice too, but its still gotta be the sticky-icky... brown rice is the shit too, the one with the husks still on it

maybe its a filipino thing....

i think it is, i'm not a big fan of that grainy shit that you get at chinese restaurants, my rice has to be fluffy & soft. it's true though, that's the only kind that you can make with a rice cooker. my rice has never come out grainy when it's cooked in a rice cooker. i just rinse it once and then put about 1 cup more water than rice & let that shit cook. we use the brand with the three horses on the sack.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Hey I got sticky rice on my socks OH SNAP I hate it when that happens!!!!!!

DUDE, THAT IS LIKE MY NUMBER 2 PET PEEVE NEXT TO INCESSANT BAD ANNOYING CAREFREE WHISTLING
    Very much feeling both of yous non-homoeroticly! That shit schtanks

• i'm not a rice expert, but if the initial question is how to cook proper japanese style rice, no one has hit it exactly yet.
    first of all you need japanese short grain rice.
    any rice kernel is coated in starch. the starch content varies with the type of rice, but japanese short grain rice has quite a bit of it and yes, you have to wash most of it off. you want to wash the rice in a LARGE amount of cold water. you swish the rice around swiftly and gently--you want to get rid of most of the starch, but you don't want to break or chip the grains. grinding the grains against one another is bad. the water will turn milky, and at this point you want to drain the water, add fresh cold water, and repeat the process again. and you basically do this until the water surrounding the rice is clear. it takes a lot more time than most people think (5-7 min), and this is really one of the most important steps. you will feel the texture of the rice change as you do this, and the grains of rice will slowly turn towards semi transparant. but you want to do all of this rather qiuickly so that the rice doesn't absorb too much water. it really takes practice and you use your sense of touch more than anything.
    once the water is clear, drain the rice and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. this will allow the water the rice has started to absorb to distribute itself evenly throughout the grain. at this point you can either use a rice cooker or do it on the stove top. in either case, it's 1 part rice to 1.1 parts water. so basically the water will just cover the rice. if using a stove, it's essential that you have a tight fitting lid. i actually use heavy duty plastic wrap as a lid not only because it creates an airtight seal, but it also allows you to watch the rice. once it boils, keep it on the lowest possible heat for 30-40 minutes, and do not open the lid. then remove the rice from the heat and allow it to rest covered for an additional 15 minutes.
    fluff it gently with a wooden spoon or paddle. if you're lucky you have properly cooked japanese rice. if is too sticky or gummy, you didn't wash it enough, or you didn't wash it quickly enough. if it's dry and grainy, you washed it too much or damaged too many of the grains, or you didn't wash it enough.
    if you have fluffy individual grains that just hold themselves together, and a golden brown frisbee of crispy rice that pulls away from the bottom of the pot, you have a strong appreciation for what it takes to make the good stuff, and a license to hate on anything less.