2005's top singles (Stylus Magazine)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
All things considered...this list covers a fairly balanced breadth of both mainstream pop smashes and more hipsterish -ish. And no "My Humps" (or "Laffy Taffy"). Jyeah!http://www.stylusmagazine.com/feature.php?ID=201410: The Killers: Mr. Brightside9: Mike Jones, Slim Thug, Paul Wall: Still Tippin (sure, it's more like 2003 but...)8: My Chemical Romance: Helena7: Snoop Dogg: Signs6: The Futureheads: Hounds of Love5: The Game: Hate It Or Love It4: Robyn: Be Mine3: Amerie: 1 Thing2: Three 6 Maifa: Stay Fly1: Kelly Clarkson: Since You Been Gone

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    1: Kelly Clarkson: Since You Been Gone

schnipper was right!

i haven't heard some of these songs...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's funny because I hadn't listened to the Clarkson until after I saw Schnipper's post and after downloading it, I have to say...

It's a pretty damn catchy pop-rock song. I can see why people like it so much though the songwriting is pretty lackluster (this seems to be a 2005 trend). I mean, "yeah yeah [pause] since you've been gone"? You couldn't find something to fill that space Kelly? C'mon.

You don't really feel it until you see her performance on the VMAs... it also helps to watch a couple episodes of Laguna Beach

I can see how this song would go big in either context (VMA/OC). It reminds me of a cross b/t Alanis and Michelle Branch.

• Since You've Been Gone
    1 Thing
    Stay Fly
    Laffy Taffy

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    All things considered...this list covers a fairly balanced breadth of both mainstream pop smashes and more hipsterish -ish.

And no "My Humps" (or "Laffy Taffy"). Jyeah!

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/feature.php?ID=2014

10: The Killers: Mr. Brightside
    9: Mike Jones, Slim Thug, Paul Wall: Still Tippin (sure, it's more like 2003 but...)
    8: My Chemical Romance: Helena
    7: Snoop Dogg: Signs
    6: The Futureheads: Hounds of Love
    5: The Game: Hate It Or Love It
    4: Robyn: Be Mine
    3: Amerie: 1 Thing
    2: Three 6 Maifa: Stay Fly

I'd take Amerie, Three Six and Kelly Clarkson (who gets a slightly guilty "I'd tap") out of that lot. "Mr. Brightside" was 2004 in the UK, and "All The Things I've Done" is the only song I can still bear by them. I liked "Signs", but it always sounded like "third single from the album" to me. Futureheads are OK, but I'm tiring of that Baby Gang Of Four steez that's all over the UK right now. I'm really not feeling The Game at all, and My Chemical Romance is just an emo Backstreet Boys.

1 - Three Six Mafia: Stay Fly
    2 - Amerie: 1 Thing
    3 - Damian Marley: Welcome To Jamrock
    4 - Doves: Black And White Town
    5 - Gangsta Boo: Sippin' And Spinnin' (remix) - was this even a single, or even this year? One of my favourites nonetheless.
    6 - Juelz Santana: Mic Check
    7 - QUeens Of The Stone Age: Little Sister
    8 - David Banner: Ain't Got Nothin'
    9 - Lil Kim: Lighters Up
    10 - Ying Yang Twins: Wait

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I can see how this song would go big in either context (VMA/OC). It reminds me of a cross b/t Alanis and Michelle Branch.

a nice girl's avril lavigne with a voice and a body

at least that other guy doest exist anymore (troy aitken or some shit)

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

(who gets a slightly guilty "I'd tap")

slightly guilty? naw son.

Id tap fo sho.

• All things considered...this list covers a fairly balanced breadth of both mainstream pop smashes and more hipsterish -ish.

9: Mike Jones, Slim Thug, Paul Wall: Still Tippin (sure, it's more like 2003 but...)

no love for

• All things considered...this list covers a fairly balanced breadth of both mainstream pop smashes and more hipsterish -ish.

Not a bad list.

I'd put "1 Thing" at 2, but number 1 is straight. Glad to see that Snoop track up there. I thought for sure that it was going to be the summer song, but it never materialized. I was thinking Usher status on that one, but never happened.

• I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes "Since You've Been Gone".

• It's funny because I hadn't listened to the Clarkson until after I saw Schnipper's post and after downloading it, I have to say...

It's a pretty damn catchy pop-rock song. I can see why people like it so much though the songwriting is pretty lackluster (this seems to be a 2005 trend). I mean, "yeah yeah [pause] since you've been gone"? You couldn't find something to fill that space Kelly? C'mon.

Ol*ver HEARTS Kelly Clarkson.

no love for

I like the album but I've got no love for the sangles...

no love for

Not ignorant enough/Too Preachy

I'd love to see some of you dudes "Top 10" for a year like 2002.

• I'd love to see some of you dudes "Top 10" for a year like 2002.

2002 SUCKED FOR HIP-HOP. Electric Circus? Phrenology? Stillmatic?

Course there were a few jems also

11. Madonna: Hung Up
    12. Gwen Stefani: Hollaback Girl
    13. M.I.A.: Bucky Done Gun
    14. Kanye West: Gold Digger[/b]
    15. Ciara: Oh
    16. R. Kelly: Trapped IN the Closet
    17. Booka Shade: Mandarine Girl
    18. Rachel Stevens: Negotiate With Love
    19. Antony and Johnsons: Hope There's Someone
    20. Girls Aloud: Biography

Just for the record, "Since You've Been Gone" is the only Clarkson song I've ever heard and I'm not compelled to listen to anything else. That said, I do love me a good pop song.

• I know I am going to catch some heat for this one but that Back Street Boys single that came out this year was killing it. She was not the gay back street boys I know. It seriously did not sound like them and was more on a soulful indie rock type vibe. I was feeling that ish. I don't think it really made any noise because it didn't really sound like them but good nontheless.

• It's funny because I hadn't listened to the Clarkson until after I saw Schnipper's post and after downloading it, I have to say...

but that Back Street Boys single that came out this year was killing it

whoah, WHOAH people keep these thoughts to yourselves. this is not your shrink's office.

Not ignorant enough/Too Preachy

I'd love to see some of you dudes "Top 10" for a year like 2002.

So where do you place Clarkson?? Or is she not "preachy" enough for you??

BTW, Golddigger is definitely among the most ignorant rap hits of the year. But like I said, K did bring one of the year's best albums...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

i didnt think that song ever got that popular?