The "Four" Elements of....?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
As a kid the,the 4 elements description didn't exist. Hip hop seemed like something u just did, making all those elements blend together. Now I have embraced this idea without any resistance when it started to appear in many Hip Hop mags/books/etc, but there has always been something about this "4" that has always itched.
I used to tag,electic boogie,and dj at some point in my life. But now I dont "practice" any of the "elements". I dont feel I embody hip hop any less than the 16 year old who rhymes to himself on the train. The elements idea was good for its time when hiphop was striving for some unifying identity, but it limits/set boundaries for a culture whose spectrum has more than 4 elements.
Where does ironing/starching your fat laces lie in the "4".
Customizing Snaekers? Now and Later candy? The kid who dressed fresh but didnt spit/boogie/or tag isnt a peripheral participant. Or the chick who stitched her Columbia blue Lee's just right on the outside from the ankle up to the hip.Even the cat who grabs MP3s of the net to compile hiz favorite joints. We should be able to challenge antiquated ideas that limit the possiblities. I hardly ever use the phrase.
This iz just me pondering.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    When did the term Four Elements come into existence?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Somewhere in the 80's..........dont quote me though.

• The Four Elements are alive in well.

It's just that they live a meager and somewhat embarrassing existence confined almost entirely to non-U.S. nations.

Here we go!

• The Four Elements are alive in well.

It's just that they live a meager and somewhat embarrassing existence confined almost entirely to non-U.S. nations.

Here we go!

PLEASE TAKE YOUR MOUTH OFF YOU YOU DON'T KNOW THE 4 ELEMENTS AND YOU DON'T KNOW THE TRUE

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Isn't this some Zulu Nation schitt?

i think u r right

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    All that talk about the 4 elements always make my head hurt. When you canonize a beautiful thing and put it in small neatly wrapped boxes like that, you're on a path to stagnation. The 4 elements have become a benchmark for hiphop-pointdexters around the world to measure their "realness", thinking they are Bambaata reincarnated just because they've seen "Wild Style" 50 times. I see too many guys like that. History is important, but I can't stand all that hiphop-religious BS.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    At least over here in Germany, this theory reached its heights around 93, back when everything else (rhyming over funstuff et al., smiling in public) wasn't considered allowed if you used the term HipHop for your act of expression. This "keepin' it really real" was somehow important back then, especially to get breakin' and graff and early rap in German back onto a higher level, but it got to a point where it became really anal. All this "You have to break, rap, scratch and tag at the same time"talk was really killin it for a lot of people who just wanted to be fans. But I guess, that's one thing about HipHop, you can actively participate in the culture. Some do, others don't. Nowadays, HipHop has like 4080 elements and is just as broad as society in general. I still like things like the final chapter of Wave Twisters though...but, to my bronx heads...wasn't it Michael Holman who claimed a few years ago, that Graff wasn't a part of HipHop, but it just chose to go along with the (musical) culture in certain occasions...like I remember most old School graff heads in Germany rather listened to Led Zep and Jimi then kickin' it live from 9 to 5 with the sugarhills...i mean graff was around before blockparties started, right? But it was cool back then with the four elements, they were also a big part of the jam culture...nowadays you mostly have rapconcerts, right? and what i realize is that nowadays many cats just follow one element and have no knowledge about the others...which is not sad, but it was different back then...aah the good times back in the days...

History is important, but I can't stand all that hiphop-religious BS.

• All that talk about the 4 elements always make my head hurt. When you canonize a beautiful thing and put it in small neatly wrapped boxes like that, you're on a path to stagnation. The 4 elements have become a benchmark for hiphop-pointdexters around the world to measure their "realness", thinking they are Bambaata reincarnated just because they've seen "Wild Style" 50 times. I see too many guys like that. History is important, but I can't stand all that hiphop-religious BS.

Everyone should read this.

And yes, I was (sort of) joking about the "alive only in other countries" thing, but I'd like to point out that my man m_dejean lives in Denmark, so fy fan, why can't the rest of you get on his level?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    "4 elements" fans are usually the "hip hop vs rap" dudes...

• bboybboy 13 Posts

True.

I'm pretty sure the ideal of 4 elements came when Bambaataa coined the umbrella term "Hiphop" to encompass what was happenin in 70's NYC, as well as their parties.

Some folks also took offense to Bambaataa's call. I had a chance to run into pioneerin Hiphop dancer Buddha Stretch, and he was arguin on a technical aspect...bboying is not a Hiphop dance, because it wasn't danced to specific Hiphop records--it was an extension of the Funk movement instead just like in the Westcoast poppin came outta the Funk movement.

Interesting.

Since then, in the 90's you had KRS come out with "refenitions" trying to discretely add more movements and makin like a psuedo-religion outta of it.

Another resurgeance can be attributed to the Rocksteady Crew in the 1990s, their jams, theater productions like Jam on the Groove, and involvements with Zulu preached Hiphop as 4 elements. Rremember this was also a time when Rappin continued to solely define Hiphop. (you see a general resurgeance with DJing and Bboyin in US durin this time)

So fast fwd to 2005, people use this 4 elements motto as a litmus test and the state of Hiphop right now people (esp. promoters) are tryin their best to hold all these very loose-connected, separated and artistically distinct movements together.

I think the ideal of 4 elements is a good starting point, but never intended to limit what Hiphop is.

Bare bones for me...Hiphop is anything that speaks or shares to a larger disenfranchised/underground community in those mediums. People who create the production as well as enthusiasists---a constant conversation.

Peace.
    BoogaLeo
    brokebboys.blogspot.com

• can someone explain to me how Now & Laters got to be a hiphop thing?!? was it just bc hey, that's what was at the corner store and just kinda became a familiar metaphor? or is there some Canonical Story?

I was kinda thinking about this a while back with that DU "Nuttin' Dis Funky" lyric about being outta luck/hucklebuck/suck you up like a now & later and all that, and then thinking about all the other now/later lyrics. just wondering. I grew up in the midwest so wasn't there when It happened.

a partially synthetic head would like to know

• "4 elements" fans are usually the "hip hop vs rap" dudes...

...and...?

So what if they are.

It's probably because they are passionate & therefore protective of it. Why do you guys have problems with these things. Why do you get your knickers in a knot over them? And what's with the stereotyping that ALL these kids are identical in thought. Stupid.

I know a handful of kids who are the way you guys describe them as. A handfull. They'll grow out of it. Usually its the young kids who realise what the whole shit is about... They feel they are involved in something special. Why slag off youngsters who are still working out thier place in the world? You sound like a bunch of bullies who think you know better.

Our scene has a huge graffiti element. Probably at least 75% of the crews making music here have or had some involvement with graff. And pretty much all the older cats still active used to b-boy & do graff.
    I'd say if it wasn't for the graff writers that hip hop would have struggled to exist & it might not have been so strong down here.

The b-boy scene has kind of estranged itself from the rest, most likely due to the late 90s resurgence of it being in nearly every 2nd videoclip, usually non-hip hop related Leaving the youth unaware of it's history. So many kids will want to break to Snoop Dogg or something in the low bpms...

It's pretty obvious that it all coalesced at the same time in New York with many people like Herc, Caz, Rammelzee, Kay Slay, Phase 2 & even then, Masta Ase, Krs, Fat Joe, Tame One, etc.... all doing graff. Denying that would be a overreaching for an non-existent argument. It all makes perfect sense...

It just exist this way, wether you believe it only exists like this overseas is up to you... It's a youth culture that is worldwide & helps a lot of people. Denegrate it all you like, but one doesn't have to walk around with a nameplate on their belt, have a furry kangol & wear Cazals... It's just a mindset. It helps kids get enthused, stay out of trouble, get creative & form close ties with likeminded people. Yet some people overanalyze with their negative superiority. Just let them be...

I started b-boying in 84 & now I dj for b-boys. I did graff straight for almost 15 years of my life & now I do graphic design for a job. Why would I tell some kids...'You'd better stop because apparently they don't really do this in the States anymore...' They'd look at me like I was an idiot & say, 'So fucking what...'

Time for zzzzz. Other side of the planet...

IP

Let it go... Let people have their fun...

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

Double

There a funny skit on In LIVING COLOR where the blonde comedian has Tommy Davidson as this "animal called the B-boy". His favorite NOW & LATER was the
    Green Apple flavor(as wus mine). Many of my boys at the time where like "Oh" how do they know about that schitt. The Wayans are from NYC.

"Yo shorty, run to the store and get me 5 green apple and 5 watermelon N&Laters."

There a funny skit on In LIVING COLOR where the blonde comedian has Tommy Davidson as this "animal called the B-boy". His favorite NOW & LATER was the
    Green Apple flavor(as wus mine). Many of my boys at the time where like "Oh" how do they know about that schitt. The Wayans are from NYC.

"Yo shorty, run to the store and get me 5 green apple and 5 watermelon N&Laters."
    The same applies for Jolly Ranchers as well.

Jolly ranchers iz what i meant, thanx. Now and laters were second fiddle to JR.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

Remember Jolly Ranchers use to come in a stick?

Remember Jolly Ranchers use to come in a stick?
    yup, that's the shit I was thinking about (fuck the new style).

It's probably because they are passionate & therefore protective of it. Why do you guys have problems with these things. Why do you get your knickers in a knot over them? And what's with the stereotyping that ALL these kids are identical in thought. Stupid.

I know a handful of kids who are the way you guys describe them as. A handfull. They'll grow out of it. Usually its the young kids who realise what the whole shit is about... They feel they are involved in something special. Why slag off youngsters who are still working out thier place in the world? You sound like a bunch of bullies who think you know better.

although i can't stand religious bs about hiphop, this is true. it's like realizing that all this ish is dope

Our scene has a huge graffiti element. Probably at least 75% of the crews making music here have or had some involvement with graff. And pretty much all the older cats still active used to b-boy & do graff.
    I'd say if it wasn't for the graff writers that hip hop would have struggled to exist & it might not have been so strong down here.

I kind of disagree. might be the case for downunder, but over here in europe many cats into graf give a schitt about hiphop. there are punks, skaters, skins (no nazi), normal guys, people into metal or drum'n bass, of course are there the 50time Wild Style guys as well, but...as i said, graff was there b4 it was called the hip to the hop (that's what grandwizzard theodore told me about the origins of the term, it was called hiphop because people used to "hop" at parties and it was a "hip" thing...the term can actually be traced back to the 40's, to some swing record...i have the sample somewhere:"With a hiphop and a clippety clop, verybody's dancin in the brand new spot" or so) ...and I say that Graff would exist, even if this rap schitt would never be known...lotsa my graff partners don't care about rap!

The b-boy scene has kind of estranged itself from the rest, most likely due to the late 90s resurgence of it being in nearly every 2nd videoclip, usually non-hip hop related Leaving the youth unaware of it's history. So many kids will want to break to Snoop Dogg or something in the low bpms...

play some manu dibango makossa ish to some of the new cats, and they be like happened to me a lotta times...but ok, things changed...

I started b-boying in 84 & now I dj for b-boys. I did graff straight for almost 15 years of my life & now I do graphic design for a job. Why would I tell some kids...'You'd better stop because apparently they don't really do this in the States anymore...' They'd look at me like I was an idiot & say, 'So fucking what...'

Let it go... Let people have their fun...

HipHop police, HipHop police...quick, there's a riot goin on downunder

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "4 elements" fans are usually the "hip hop vs rap" dudes...

...and...?

So what if they are.

It's probably because they are passionate & therefore protective of it. Why do you guys have problems with these things. Why do you get your knickers in a knot over them?

Because it's really not theirs to "protect".

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    faux - which element do you practice?

• FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1134151728rootlesscosmo">

What is the 5th Element of Hip-Hop?[/b]

Violence

Bitches

Backpacking

Camping

Young Jeezy

INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• "A pack of franks and a big bag of Frito Lays"

MONEY

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    faux - which element do you practice?

Writing about hip-hop.

I read on a blog that that was the fifth element.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    5th Element of Hip-Hop = RAVE CULTURE

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    1st Element of Hip-Hop = RAVE CULTURE