Dustygroove: plaese tell me this isn't happening

2»

Comments

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I have no problem with doing something with otherwise trashed records. But $30 for 4 coasters seems like

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I have no problem with doing something with otherwise trashed records. But $30 for 4 coasters seems like

Well, assuming DG sells em for 30, Doe prolly gets a little more or less than 15, minus manufacturing time, etc. Either way, don't knock the hustle, Jon Doe is the fuggin man, and deserves the $$ for being the first person to market these properly!

• pknypkny 549 Posts

Well, assuming DG sells em for 30, Doe prolly gets a little more or less than 15, minus manufacturing time, etc. Either way, don't knock the hustle, Jon Doe is the fuggin man, and deserves the $$ for being the first person to market these properly!

I'm not hating, just saying that most of us on here have enough busted raers to make their own coasters for much cheaper.

Now if you cut out the (Dustygroove) middleman and paid dude $15 directly for the coasters, that's a little more reasonable.

• seriously, this is kinda old hat. a friend of mine from france had a set of coasters that were made out of old reggae and rocksteady labels. And there is some dude who made a line of eyeglasses that were made from old records. You can see the grooves in the frames and everything.

• And there is some dude who made a line of eyeglasses that were made from old records. You can see the grooves in the frames and everything.

found it!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    What???s up soulstrut, I am the person behind Cold Sweat Coasters???first off let me give a little introduction here since this is actually my first post (been on occasional lurker status for years now)??? DJ John Doe from Vegas, 36, been digging 15+ years, been throwing a funky soul party out here called The Get Back for the past 3 years. some of you may have caught one of my mixtapes from years ago (Fused Funk and Refused Funk)???I know a number of cats on this board: anthonypearson, coolchris, we_eat_trains, funkyeggscramble, tonearm robbery, guzzo, maybe a few more????many of whom prolly have a set of these coasters???

So yes, indeed the coasters are made from unplayable records. I???ve been making them for over 10 years now back when I had found a completely destroyed copy of Roy Ayers??? Coffy and decided to recycle it and make a coaster. I got the idea when I had seen a guy selling record coasters at an Arizona record show a few months prior (although he was making Eagles Greatest Hits and stuff like that). Anyway, I make them once a year as Xmas gifts for my homeys and I usually make around 60 of em a year, depending of course on how many wrecked records I find that year. I only make good titles, or at least what I consider to be good titles. Now that most of my friends have plenty of these coasters on their coffee tables, and after years of hearing ???you should sell these??? from people, my boy we_eat_trains in Chicago took some down to dustygroove for me to see if they would want to carry em.

So rest easy my vinyl loving brethren, these are all recs that would otherwise be tossed and/or forever disappointing the ones who pulled them out to discover a completely thrashed record. I prolly need to go thru that sleevestrut thread as I have tons of sleeves now???.

OH SHIT, John Doe?

Y'all better give this dude some major respect This dude has been in the game longer than many and not only that but he is my unofficial first digging teacher.

Welcome to the site, good luck trying not to get addicted.

PS hows everything in vegas? I've heard some bad things about Bryan and I'm hoping they are just rumors.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    a friend of mine from france had a set of coasters that were made out of old reggae and rocksteady labels.

man, that really breaks my heart

I'm sure they were trashed, but you don't come up on many good old reggae collections that aren't... (shut up, K)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    What???s up soulstrut, I am the person behind Cold Sweat Coasters???first off let me give a little introduction here since this is actually my first post (been on occasional lurker status for years now)??? DJ John Doe from Vegas, 36, been digging 15+ years, been throwing a funky soul party out here called The Get Back for the past 3 years. some of you may have caught one of my mixtapes from years ago (Fused Funk and Refused Funk)???I know a number of cats on this board: anthonypearson, coolchris, we_eat_trains, funkyeggscramble, tonearm robbery, guzzo, maybe a few more????many of whom prolly have a set of these coasters???

So yes, indeed the coasters are made from unplayable records. I???ve been making them for over 10 years now back when I had found a completely destroyed copy of Roy Ayers??? Coffy and decided to recycle it and make a coaster. I got the idea when I had seen a guy selling record coasters at an Arizona record show a few months prior (although he was making Eagles Greatest Hits and stuff like that). Anyway, I make them once a year as Xmas gifts for my homeys and I usually make around 60 of em a year, depending of course on how many wrecked records I find that year. I only make good titles, or at least what I consider to be good titles. Now that most of my friends have plenty of these coasters on their coffee tables, and after years of hearing ???you should sell these??? from people, my boy we_eat_trains in Chicago took some down to dustygroove for me to see if they would want to carry em.

So rest easy my vinyl loving brethren, these are all recs that would otherwise be tossed and/or forever disappointing the ones who pulled them out to discover a completely thrashed record. I prolly need to go thru that sleevestrut thread as I have tons of sleeves now???.

Welcome to the board. Much respect. Dibs on the Boscoe coaster.

In my earlier post, I was joking about DG's typically goofball description (everything exclamations!) and not your product. Hell - I've got a Head OST record bowl. Out of the Past used to have a ton of rinked-to-death LPs, which is why I haven't been there in a while. If you're ever in Chicago, you'll never find a better place for cut-up wax.

• welcome...i think the coasters are

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Wait a second, something just clicked! I've talked to you before. I was trying to get a copy of Curly Davis and the Uniques off you like 18 months ago. You won a Gamith 'Darkness' 45 shortly after we stopped talking. This is a good dude, folks. You still got that 45, hommie??

• thanks to funkyexample, meatyogre, guzzo, and BreakSelf for the good words???

pkny: I hear you on the $30 cost, and obviously there is a DG markup, but its really all about quality in titles and function. Cold Sweat Coasters are more specialized in the titles and I believe they function better than the rest. Aside from the fact that I use good titles, the backing rubber material (which isn???t cheap) I use on em are one of the main reasons I feel these are way doper than every other record coaster I???ve seen out there ??? the rubber is about 3/8??? thick, black in color and is cut flush with the coaster edge, making the coaster look so much fresher than a coaster with a cheap, thin, small diameter cork material (which I???ve seen used a lot) on the backside or no backing material at all. But hey, obviously I am biased???like I said I have been makin em for years, and I???m by no means the first person to make em, however, I do think they are best ones on the market ??? straight up.

hey guzzo: haven???t rapped with Brian in a minute, last time we spoke he seemed all good tho???

yo luck: yeah, I had no part in the DG???s descriptive verbage, but obviously the abundance of exclamations seems to work for them ??? I don???t think anyone can front on DG???s ability to move product???

BreakSelf: waddup holmes, I traded the Curly Davis a few months ago, sorry my man???the trade box is full of other goodies tho, hit me on the pm???

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Whattup Jon. About time you stopped lurking champ. It's funny this thread came up, because I was bugging Damien and Ben about these a while ago. I never get the chance to ask you about these, because I only catch you on the busiest day of your month. Good to see your getting them out though. Catch you in Janurary.

peace,

- diego

• Finally, a home accessory for the vinyl hound -- a set of 4 coasters made out of original record labels mounted on heavy rubber -- as functional as they are groovy! The quality of these coasters is super-high -- as original records are punched out to keep the label intact, then mounted onto rubber backing, then given a durable matte finish, so the whole thing holds together. In fact, we dare say that even compared to most other regular coasters on the market, these are superior -- because they're a bit larger than the rest, making them suitable for many kinds of glasses and bottles -- and the rubber on the bottom makes them super-stable too! But here's the even groovier part -- since the coasters are all made from rare records, each one of them is different! There's a completely random assortment in each pack -- structured only by the genre in their title (jazz, soul, or hip hop) -- but we can promise that each coaster is made out of 100% genuine old vinyl, and that the folks at Cold Sweat have taken extra care to pick out labels that are worthy to grace the home of any crate-digger!

Wow, there is a place here that has the cores 10 for a dollar. I made a few myself. Can't knock the hustle, as the kids say.