Featuring Andy Bey

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Can anyone fill in any blanks I might have? I'm trying to figure out every album Bey's been on (other than his own or his albums with his sisters) from the 60s through the 70s.

I know these so far:

Duke Pearson ??? Now Hear This!
Duke Pearson ??? How Insensitive
Duke Pearson ??? I Don't Care Who Knows It
Gary Bartz - Harlem Bush Music Taifa
Gary Bartz - Harlem Bush Music Uhuru
Gary Bartz ??? Juju Street Songs
Gary Bartz ??? Follow The Medicine Man
Horace Silver ??? That Healin' Feelin'
Horace Silver ??? Total Response/Phase 1
Horace Silver ??? Total Response/Phase 2
Horace Silver ??? All/Phase 3
Howard McGhee ??? Cookin' Time
Max Roach ??? Members, Don???t Git Weary
Stanley Clarke ??? Children Are Forever

Have I left any out? I'm sure there's gotta be at least a couple I'm missing.

Comments

• Pharoah Sanders - Heart Is A Melody '82 (vocals)

Horace Silver - Continuity of Spirit '85 (vocals)

Horace Silver - Music to Ease Your Disease '88 (vocals)

Horace Silver - It's Got to be Funky '93 (vocals)

Fred Hersch - Passion Flower '96 (vocals)

Gerry Eastman - Songbook '96 (vocals)

Bob Malach - Searcher '97 (vocals)

Anna Lauvergnac - S/T '01 (piano)

Harold Nicholas/June Richmond/Andy Bey - Chanteurs-Chanteuses '02 (piano, vocals)

Beth Nielsen Chapman - Deeper Still '02 (vocals)

Horace Silver - Rockin With Rachmanioff '03 (vocals)

Intuit - S/T '04 (vocals)

V/A - Montreal Jazz Festival, Vol. 1: Very Best Live '04 (piano, vocals)

I know theses aren't 60's and/or 70's but I just posted these anyway incase you were interested.

• Don't forget Mtume Umoja Ensemble - Alkebu Lan.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    he also did a 45 for I believe Decca in the mid to late 50's. I only ever found it once, and of all things, gave it to Andy when he came through toronto, as he had never had a copy. It's a Billy Eckstine soundalike that he did when he was 18. Pretty nice too.....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    he also did a 45 for I believe Decca in the mid to late 50's. I only ever found it once, and of all things, gave it to Andy when he came through toronto, as he had never had a copy. It's a Billy Eckstine soundalike that he did when he was 18. Pretty nice too.....

Thats real sweet of you man

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Are you a pisces?

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    no..why do you ask? Is it because i gave him the record?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    no..why do you ask? Is it because i gave him the record?

I've been messing with this astrology business lately, so I was just curious.

That was a good deed - respect.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Thanks for the compliment. Andy was real cool....played solo piano and sang, and put on a beautiful show (actually 3 shows...i went 3 nights in a row). Small Toronto club, sat about 6 feet away....HAD to go the 3 nights. On the second night, I mentioned that i had just recently found a copy of the mentioned 45, and he expressed that he had never owned a copy. Soooo the next night when i came back, I handed it to him and said it was thanks for all of the great music he had given us. He was real quiet about it, very humble, and said a quiet and honest thanks. Then later as a thank you that night, he played a very slow and VERY heavy version of CELESTIAL BLUES that, to be honest, was fucking incredible. I will NEVER forget it.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Then later as a thank you that night, he played a very slow and VERY heavy version of CELESTIAL BLUES that, to be honest, was fucking incredible. I will NEVER forget it.
    Was that the one on his Solo LP? That version is

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Pharoah Sanders - Heart Is A Melody '82 (vocals)
    Horace Silver - Continuity of Spirit '85 (vocals)
    Horace Silver - Music to Ease Your Disease '88 (vocals)
    Horace Silver - It's Got to be Funky '93 (vocals)
    Fred Hersch - Passion Flower '96 (vocals)
    Gerry Eastman - Songbook '96 (vocals)
    Bob Malach - Searcher '97 (vocals)
    Anna Lauvergnac - S/T '01 (piano)
    Harold Nicholas/June Richmond/Andy Bey - Chanteurs-Chanteuses '02 (piano, vocals)
    Beth Nielsen Chapman - Deeper Still '02 (vocals)
    Horace Silver - Rockin With Rachmanioff '03 (vocals)
    Intuit - S/T '04 (vocals)
    V/A - Montreal Jazz Festival, Vol. 1: Very Best Live '04 (piano, vocals)

I know theses aren't 60's and/or 70's but I just posted these anyway incase you were interested.

And also in '97, he appeared on;

Karl Denson - D is for Deisel.

Vocals on the track 'Bourgainvellea'. So slept on.

• Wahey!
    I saw Andy Bey playing at Ronnie Scotts in London two years ago. Dudes got the smooth as silk voice.

• The wife and I have seen Andy Bey three times. Dude's incredible.

Damn, how could I forget this one. Maybe cause I don't have it

I've been looking for this record for a few years and no luck. This is probably the number 1 record that I want, can't find, but imagine is possible to locate...

Anyone got an extra copy?

I've been looking for this record for a few years and no luck. This is probably the number 1 record that I want, can't find, but imagine is possible to locate...

`

Not that hard to find: there were 2 or more on Ebay over the last month. You have , however, to be willing to shell out some $$ for it.

`

Not that hard to find: there were 2 or more on Ebay over the last month. You have , however, to be willing to shell out some $$ for it.

That's the story with most records - if you're willing to pay the ridiculous price most of them go for on ebay, it's yours! I don't mind shelling out $ for the records I want, but with questionable grading and the amount of $$ that some people are willing to spend just because someone threw 'beats' in the title, some records i just don't go to ebay for. This is one of them.

Instead, I imagine one day copping this off a record store wall. Unless anyone here has an extra...