Three Degrees

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I just re-heard "When Will I see you again" by Three Degrees on some soul college radio program, for like the first time since i was like 5 years old when my parents would play it. i could never remember the lyrics but i always remembered the melody and when the girls first sing "hooo haaa", the song is worth it just for that, sounds angelic. thank god i heard it again so i could track it down...are they a one hit thing or do they have some quality stuff?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    They were once featured on an episode of Sanford & Sons.

• I just re-heard "When Will I see you again" by Three Degrees on some soul college radio program, for like the first time since i was like 5 years old when my parents would play it. i could never remember the lyrics but i always remembered the melody and when the girls first sing "hooo haaa", the song is worth it just for that, sounds angelic. thank god i heard it again so i could track it down...are they a one hit thing or do they have some quality stuff?

I don't have any of the albums, but I CAN recommend "Maybe," which was an earlier hit on the Roulette label (1970), complete with an extended monologue. The transition from the rap to the actual song is devastating. There was an album on Roulette, too, also called Maybe.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I just re-heard "When Will I see you again" by Three Degrees on some soul college radio program, for like the first time since i was like 5 years old when my parents would play it. i could never remember the lyrics but i always remembered the melody and when the girls first sing "hooo haaa", the song is worth it just for that, sounds angelic. thank god i heard it again so i could track it down...are they a one hit thing or do they have some quality stuff?

I don't have any of the albums, but I CAN recommend "Maybe," which was an earlier hit on the Roulette label (1970), complete with an extended monologue. The transition from the rap to the actual song is devastating.[/b] There was an album on Roulette, too, also called Maybe.

yes.[/b]

and the LP is pretty good imo.

• I've been playing their "Collage" 45 out lately. Extremely dramatic but good.

• I just re-heard "When Will I see you again" by Three Degrees on some soul college radio program, for like the first time since i was like 5 years old when my parents would play it. i could never remember the lyrics but i always remembered the melody and when the girls first sing "hooo haaa", the song is worth it just for that, sounds angelic. thank god i heard it again so i could track it down...are they a one hit thing or do they have some quality stuff?

I don't have any of the albums, but I CAN recommend "Maybe," which was an earlier hit on the Roulette label (1970), complete with an extended monologue. The transition from the rap to the actual song is devastating. There was an album on Roulette, too, also called Maybe.

shit is sooooo good

• feel safe grabbing any of their albums on PIR or Roulette.

& this one too

• those Northern soul-sounding singles they did for the Swan label in the 60's, particularly "Driving Me Mad", are really good

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Maybe is good, not great

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    feel safe grabbing any of their albums on PIR or Roulette.

That might be going a little too far... the PIR albums I've heard were weaksauce

Never seen them on Swan!

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I've been playing their "Collage" 45 out lately. Extremely dramatic but good.

That song is the shit

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    thanks for the info folks!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I have of their LPs. Both a good. Not great, but pretty solid girl group Soul. Here's a review of one of them.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=T&page=3

• anyone in the uk thats on cable or satellite and gets repeats of 'wheeltappers and shunters social club', a real working mens club, keep a look out for 2 surreal turns in the club, one by the 3 degrees looking like they've been transported from the coffey set to another planet, and also the chants. both great performances, but with a crowd like the wheeltappers, pretty

usual style of guest...

as opposed to

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    oh yea - have you seen The French Connection? it's a great film and it has a scene with The Three Degrees in it.

• and you can see them singin (in the night club scene) right here

oh missbassie posted it while I was wasting time with pics !

• Calls me crazy, but I rry like their disco joint produced by G.Moroder and especially the 12"/LP cut of THE RUNNER. I can't think of the album's title right now, but it's pretty nice!

That pic above, in the um, body suit numbers is

• those Northern soul-sounding singles they did for the Swan label in the 60's, particularly "Driving Me Mad", are really good

this is whats up. their second 45.