Plz REP ur old school hip hop track for the day.

Comments

• aight I'm going start of the week with:

TLA Rock-Bust These Lyrics
    Rappermatical 5-Party People
    Sugar Daddy-One More Time

• The Outlaw Four - Million Dollar Legs

yeah!

and

co-sign on the outlaw four...and the "do you wanna go to the liquor store..." classic pic cover on that one...joe cooley gets serious with the good lord scratch variations..."get some eightball bay-bee...we'll get drunk- oh we'll get dru-unk..." when a friend heard the eightball singsong they thought it was about coke and got excited. rip spade.

i don't think i've heard the above sharod jam(unfortunately).

i've been knockin: Fly Guy - Fly Guy Rap aka The Perfect High (gotta love the gimme some roy shel silverstein stylee)
    and a classic juice crew jammie: Tragedy/Craig G - Live and Direct From the House of Hits. "renegade rebel with a style that's well put."

Sharod is like Outlaw Four and all those other quality[/b] disco raps. Catchy disco beat. Dope drumbreaks and chanting, and nice bongo/conga jamming. Also some sax-solos! Nice hook by a female and not any invariable rapping (like most of the Peter Brown rap records ). The lyrics is also very good and even smart! The rapper have a nice flow and he is not repeating him self at at all.
    I think this one is going to appreciate and be worth a lot of money when it gets "known"..

The pic shown above is the original first press 12" . There exist a second press also on Funk Groove (Heavenly Star), but this pressing was released by Peter Brown and distributed by Land Of Hits. The group's name here is Sherod

I dont't know the story of this 12" but I think it has some type of the same story as the Mr. Magic - Rappin 12" (Magic Records) that Peter Brown snapped up and re-released through his Heavenly Star imprint. I also think he re-pressed the records from the original vinyl and not from the master tapes.. The sound quality ist better on my copy of the first press than on my copy of the second-press..
    I've heard the record(s) was released in 1980.

Second-press 12" (Funk Groove Records)

The funny thing is that it's written instrumental on the b side of both records, but only the first press (silver label) got it!

You can still find it for nothing at eBay. But it's rare. It's almost impossible to find the first-press i've heard.

• we drink OLD GOLD

• Fusion Beats Volume 1 to start, followed by a heaping dose of Family 4's "Rap Attack", and dash of Kurtis Blow's "Do The Do"...

Why is Family 4's "Rap Attack" going for thousands of dollars?? It??s not thaaaat good???

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    The Outlaw Four - Million Dollar Legs

yeah!

and

co-sign on the outlaw four...and the "do you wanna go to the liquor store..." classic pic cover on that one...joe cooley gets serious with the good lord scratch variations..."get some eightball bay-bee...we'll get drunk- oh we'll get dru-unk..." when a friend heard the eightball singsong they thought it was about coke and got excited. rip spade.

i don't think i've heard the above sharod jam(unfortunately).

i've been knockin: Fly Guy - Fly Guy Rap aka The Perfect High (gotta love the gimme some roy shel silverstein stylee)
    and a classic juice crew jammie: Tragedy/Craig G - Live and Direct From the House of Hits. "renegade rebel with a style that's well put."

Sharod is like Outlaw Four and all those other quality[/b] disco raps. Catchy disco beat. Dope drumbreaks and chanting, and nice bongo/conga jamming. Also some sax-solos! Nice hook by a female and not any invariable rapping (like most of the Peter Brown rap records ). The lyrics is also very good and even smart! The rapper have a nice flow and he is not repeating him self at at all.
    I think this one is going to appreciate and be worth a lot of money when it gets "known"..

The pic shown above is the original first press 12" . There exist a second press also on Funk Groove (Heavenly Star), but this pressing was released by Peter Brown and distributed by Land Of Hits. The group's name here is Sherod

I dont't know the story of this 12" but I think it has some type of the same story as the Mr. Magic - Rappin 12" (Magic Records) that Peter Brown snapped up and re-released through his Heavenly Star imprint. I also think he re-pressed the records from the original vinyl and not from the master tapes.. The sound quality ist better on my copy of the first press than on my copy of the second-press..
    I've heard the record(s) was released in 1980.

Second-press 12" (Funk Groove Records)

The funny thing is that it's written instrumental on the b side of both records, but only the first press (silver label) got it!

You can still find it for nothing at eBay. But it's rare. It's almost impossible to find the first-press i've heard.

thanks for the knowledge jewels! that's exactly what i like. have you heard mr. b - rapper dapper b...sounds a bit but kohji says it's pretty dope.

btw- are you THAT pookey blow from get up(and go to school)? just curious b/c you seem to know what you're talkin bout.

k*vin: nice picks...rappermatical an all-time favorite of mine...i had the urge to pull out treacherous three - put the boogie in your body (moe dee sounds dumb energized!)

• Fusion Beats Volume 1 to start, followed by a heaping dose of Family 4's "Rap Attack", and dash of Kurtis Blow's "Do The Do"...

Why is Family 4's "Rap Attack" going for thousands of dollars?? It??s not thaaaat good???

Yeah -- the last two Family 4 records on ebay were shut down early... Amazing how much that one is going for now... Is it worth $1000+??? I dunno, I guess when it comes down to it, if more than one person is willing to pay that price, then it is... Other people are happy with the $8 reissue...

Personally, it's one of my favorite, if not favorite, old school records... Certainly in the top 3... Their other release, "Family Rap", is a saucy little ditty as well... Then you have the Fearless 4 stuff that dropped shortly thereafter... Each time, the crew changed a little bit, but Mike C held on strong...

Still gotta put the top two as my favs...

• Sharod is like Outlaw Four and all those other quality[/b] disco raps. Catchy disco beat. Dope drumbreaks and chanting, and nice bongo/conga jamming. Also some sax-solos! Nice hook by a female and not any invariable rapping (like most of the Peter Brown rap records ). The lyrics is also very good and even smart! The rapper have a nice flow and he is not repeating him self at at all.

Wow -- you're quite the fan of Sharod!!! I don't like it as much -- certainly not to the point where I'd group it with with Outlaw Four...

I also don't think the 1st press *that* hard to find, really... Granted, I've come across the 2nd press more often (probably to a 4-to-1 ratio), but it's out there... Then again, maybe this is just one of those records that is magnetically drawn to me... I've been looking for some joints for years that people find multiple copies of in weeks... Go figure...

Having said all that, it's worth picking up and, like you said, it doesn't cost much...

Great post!!!

• thanks for the knowledge jewels! that's exactly what i like. have you heard mr. b - rapper dapper b...sounds a bit but kohji says it's pretty dope.
    You??re welcome I like hiphop from the 90s, and I like disco/funk/soul from the late 70s so disco-rap is something I really like! I have that Mr. B 12". It??s on one of those P&P sublables, I think it??s Hit Makers Of America[/b] or just Hit Makers[/b].. This is some really shit. Alot of rap/chanting but he can??t flow at all (sometimes it sounds good) But it??s FUNNY and the beat is a killer. There is some females responding his rapping and that sounds also very dope. There is also a dope break half-way through the record.
    I prefer to play half through the record until the break comes in, because the rest of the song is all "stressy". The song is vveeeeery long so its aight. It??s a $60 record but I found it very cheap in a set-sale on eBay for $10.. I don??t think I would payed $60 for it..but for some collectors it??s worth it. As I said, the first part of the record is dope. Flipside is "Part B", but I think it??s just the same song as "Part A" ...
    I would like an instrumental of this one. Disco raps is allways best when there is less rap and more discobreak jamming..

btw- are you THAT pookey blow from get up(and go to school)? just curious b/c you seem to know what you're talkin bout. Hahaha! No I??m not THAT Pookey Blow. I really want his 12" in OG. That would be dope! And that Tri-State LP!
    I have the Sounds Of New York Vol. 1[/b] The Big Break Rapper Party LP from 1980 (also on Hit-Makers..) but it??s not as good as the LP Mr. Magic released on Tri-State. Did he put the instrumentals on it too?

peace

• I also don't think the 1st press *that* hard to find, really... Granted, I've come across the 2nd press more often (probably to a 4-to-1 ratio), but it's out there... Then again, maybe this is just one of those records that is magnetically drawn to me... I've been looking for some joints for years that people find multiple copies of in weeks... Go figure...

That??s what Ive heard but I really don??t know. The 1st press is rarer thatn the 2nd press, it have better sound quality and it have an instrumental so everybody that sees it should pick it up. Its very good. Do you think it will be worth as much as the Million Dollar Legs/Party People/Death Rap/Rappin 12"s sometime?
    As long more than one person is willing to pay alot for it...

Mr. Magic - Potential 1980 is the best disco rap song ever.. I mean EVER! Thats a too.. damn

I??ve heard that Five Points - Equality 12" is one of the rarest rap records on the planet. Is that right? I??ve seen it on eBay many times.. DOPE!

And I??m still looking for disco songs with rap. maybe some records from before 79 have rap/chanting? Universal Robot Band have one song with some insane chanting..can??t remember wich one right now.

Also a modern soul LP with Jimmy "Handyman" Jones that I picked up weeks ago have some kool chanting..not rap though. From 76 or somthing..

OMG school is finished.. I??m the only one left in the classroom..fuck! Get Up & Go Too School & Schoolin!!!!

gotta get home peace

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Speaking of some of these tracks. Did anyone ever cop a copy of Harlem World - The Sound Of The Big Apple Rappin'? Great CD comp that came n went quick.

• Speaking of some of these tracks. Did anyone ever cop a copy of Harlem World - The Sound Of The Big Apple Rappin'? Great CD comp that came n went quick.

Yeah -- that was a quality CD with a great tracklist... By far the best one I've come across... Good call!!!

http://www.oldschoolhiphop.com/records/harlemworld.htm

If anyone is willing to trade their copy of The Marvelous Three & Younger Generation - Rappin All Over, hit me up... I'd be willing to let go of some treats for that one...

• That??s what Ive heard but I really don??t know. The 1st press is rarer thatn the 2nd press, it have better sound quality and it have an instrumental so everybody that sees it should pick it up. Its very good. Do you think it will be worth as much as the Million Dollar Legs/Party People/Death Rap/Rappin 12"s sometime?

As long more than one person is willing to pay alot for it...

That's it -- as long as two people are willing to pay, you have a market... My contention, though, is that you'll always find more people that will pay more for the Outlaw/Rappermatical/Margo than the Sharod... I've been wrong before though, so who knows...

Mr. Magic - Potential 1980 is the best disco rap song ever.. I mean EVER! Thats a too.. damn

I'm not as big on disco rap as you are, so maybe that explains some of our difference in taste... I actually like the flip, "Magic Life Coast to Coast", more...

I??ve heard that Five Points - Equality 12" is one of the rarest rap records on the planet. Is that right? I??ve seen it on eBay many times.. DOPE!

Phew -- that's tough to believe when you have stuff like the "Wild Style" instrumental joint and other test press/acetate only things out there where there were only one press (or maybe 25 like in the case of the Wild Style)... The Equality is a pretty cool record that I've seen go for a bunch of times on eBay like you mentioned... It usually ends up somewhere between $50 and $125... Another one worth picking up if you can find it at a reasonable price...

OMG school is finished.. I??m the only one left in the classroom..fuck! Get Up & Go Too School & Schoolin!!!!

And don't forget "School Days"...

Speaking of some of these tracks. Did anyone ever cop a copy of Harlem World - The Sound Of The Big Apple Rappin'? Great CD comp that came n went quick.

Yeah -- that was a quality CD with a great tracklist... By far the best one I've come across... Good call!!!

http://www.oldschoolhiphop.com/records/harlemworld.htm

If anyone is willing to trade their copy of The Marvelous Three & Younger Generation - Rappin All Over, hit me up... I'd be willing to let go of some treats for that one...

Yeah, I have all of those tracks mp3 style. But I might want to try to find a copy of that comp.

As far as the Rappin All Over. I may know a dude willing to do something. I'll ask and see what he's sayin'

• Yeah, I have all of those tracks mp3 style. But I might want to try to find a copy of that comp.

As far as the Rappin All Over. I may know a dude willing to do something. I'll ask and see what he's sayin'

I have OG copies of all but two of them on wax -- one being the Marvelous Three... Drop me a pm and we can go from there...

• That's it -- as long as two people are willing to pay, you have a market... My contention, though, is that you'll always find more people that will pay more for the Outlaw/Rappermatical/Margo than the Sharod... I've been wrong before though, so who knows...

Guess I have to hype up the record.. :P

I'm not as big on disco rap as you are, so maybe that explains some of our difference in taste... I actually like the flip, "Magic Life Coast to Coast", more...

Ive never heard it? Any good? MP3?

• and...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4807703332&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I have seen 2 other different versions of this record. The most know, (black cover and white cover) and another one with LJ Waaters - Hooked On Your Line, and now this one with Roller Rooster and Imperial III. Bootleg, re-issue or OG?

Did they call it old school when it really WAS old school?

• I have seen 2 other different versions of this record. The most know, (black cover and white cover) and another one with LJ Waaters - Hooked On Your Line, and now this one with Roller Rooster and Imperial III. Bootleg, re-issue or OG?

Did they call it old school when it really WAS old school?

Yeah... That looks like a newer boot to me...

• I like it -- not as much as other old school joints, but it's pretty dope... PM me and I'll hook up an mp3 and some scans for you if you'd like...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121b,121Old School = Anything pre Run-DMCb,121Golden Era = '84/'85-'92/'93b,121New school = anything post Run-DMC b,121b,121After new school = Next School is the only term I've heard that I remotely likedb,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121A good thing to remember is this: Leaders of the New School dropped their first album in 1991, which was roughly in the middle of the 'golden era' b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121I do History of Hip Hop classes for everything to young kids summer camps to College Lectures and I find the easy way to explain Hip Hop is to break it into eras. Here's how do it (disclaimer: I always express that this isn't the standard way but my way based on a variety of information)b,121b,121I.Pioneering Age ('72-'78): focus on Kool Herc, Flash, Bam and Hip Hops influencesb,121 (ex: disco djs, radio jocks, reggae, etc...). Discuss how the DJ is b,121 the prominent factor.b,121b,121II.Old School ('79-'82): focus on the crews in this era like Furious Five, b,121 Co Crush, Fearless Four, Disco Four, Kurtis Blow, etc... Explain that b,121 this era starts with the first rap "records". Also, discuss the b,121 shift from the DJ to the Rapper.b,121b,121III.Middle School ('83-'85): this is a brief period that is separated fromb,121 the Old School because of the introduction of the drum machine (whichb,121 starts in '82 but becomes the standard by '83). Focus on Run DMC,b,121 TLA Rock, & Def Jam. Also, talk about Hip Hop going national and b,121 beyond (a.k.a commercial) mainly from B-boying/Breakdancing. Withb,121 a key element being the rap movies: beat street, breakin, flash dance,b,121 wild style, the pilot, etc... Also, talk about how this is when b,121 labels branding became more competive and prominentb,121b,121IV.Golden Age ('86-'89): focus on the introduction of the sampler and sampledb,121 drums. focusing on Ultramagnetics, Marley Marl, Juice Crew, Flavor Unit, b,121 Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, Rakim, and many more. Also focus on b,121 the use of James Brown samples, the rise of the West Coast (Ex: NWA).b,121b,121V.Production Era ('90-'94): This era we discuss how this is when the producerb,121 really become the key element and also the first time where album really hadb,121 multiple producers (EX: Lord Finesse)b,121b,121VI.Internet/Indie Era ('95-present): I don't usually talk much about this. I justb,121 introduce and say that not a whole lot has changed since from the early/midb,121 90s and the key differences are the focus on being Indie (ex: Wu tang, Companyb,121 Flow, etc...) & the popularity of the internet. I figure they should know thisb,121 or can easily figure it out.b,121b,121Of couse there's a lot of other stuff I cover in each of these but this is just what came ot mind off the top. How deep I go depends on the age group and/or the length of the lecture... b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I'd Extended the "Golden Age" to at least 92/93.b,121b,121b,121My "Old School" song for today would be Jazzy Jeff - Rock It

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    For listening, today mine is Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - Freedom. For historical import, Dimples D - Sucker D.J.s.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    T La Rock's "Rockin The Party" b,121b,121One of the hardest old school b-sides ever.

Mc Ec - Girl,You Ain't No Vanessa

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Mantronix- Needle to the groove

• Always...

$ Maker

by 1985 Mantronix was bringing a new sound to the game.

I cant call that Old "SCHOOL". There's a diiference in his production compared to Kurtis Blow's The Breaks.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Just Four - Jam to remember

I cant call that Old "SCHOOL". There's a diiference in his production compared to Kurtis Blow's The Breaks.

We already had this debate early in this thread. I don't give a fukk. If the track is 15+ years old, I'mma call it old school. 85 is almost a quarter of a century people. If I try to tell these whippersnappers at University the difference between old school & new school, they'd laugh and say "OK Old man" haha

We already had this debate early in this thread. I don't give a fukk. If the track is 15+ years old, I'mma call it old school. 85 is almost a quarter of a century people. If I try to tell these fools at University the difference between old school & new school, they'd laugh and say "OK Old man" haha

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

thats a matter of semantics/opinion...

What makes 'Needle to the groove' so different from other records from that era?is the sound THAT different?

Drum machine- check, old school MC flow- check, DJ doing the basic scratch style- CHECK... Grafftti inspired cover for the 12 inch....CHECK ohhh shit Vocoder- Check.... yeah way ahead of its time!

plus I personally think the NEW SOUND Mantronx brought to the game came later and it was that house/freestyle shit that he was doing...which wasnt even hip hop. this track is off his 1st LP which is Contempory Hip Hop from mid 80s (whether you wanna call it old school or not), his second one is the one thats totally different.... with only one good song IMO (Boombox)

anyways mate...all i was saying is thats a dope song and my old school song for the day....

or to paraphrase Duke..theres only two types of hip hop--- Dope and Wack....

Dope

Oh Shit... Don't use that word with Batmon.