Digging in the South

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
All,I'm traveling down to the South for the first (and maybe last) time and I'd like to hit up a few spots. Record stores, fleas, thrifts, BBQ joints, anything else of interest. I'm going to be - at some point or another - around Huntsville/Madison (Alabama), Nashville, Atlanta, and surrounding areas. Best of all, I'm going to have a car at my disposal (not something that happens much in NY).If any of you have suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated. I'd be willing to return the favor for those visiting NY.Thanks.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    All,

I'm traveling down to the South for the first (and maybe last) time and I'd like to hit up a few spots. Record stores, fleas, thrifts, BBQ joints, anything else of interest. I'm going to be - at some point or another - around Huntsville/Madison (Alabama), Nashville, Atlanta, and surrounding areas. Best of all, I'm going to have a car at my disposal (not something that happens much in NY).

If any of you have suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated. I'd be willing to return the favor for those visiting NY.

Thanks.
    Will you be passing thru Columbus, GA and/or eastern Alabama (Montgomery)?

• There are no records here.

I can't speak on Nashville, but, in all seriousness, if you're trying to find out of the way spots, most have already been hit. It's just luck of the draw at fleas/thrifts depending on who died and just got their attic cleaned out. And, honestly, the type of people that run these places aren't going to be interested in any "New York boys" asking questions about records. They can smell it, trust me. Just get the phone book and drive around to thrifts, maybe you'll get lucky.

As far as BBQ, the places you listed are ehh IMO; you need to be going to Memphis and NC.

Have fun

• Oh yeah, in regards to "anything else of interest" there's a giant store in *Huntsville* Alabama that sells unclaimed items from lost airline luggage for cheap. You'd be amazed at what you find there

• PM me if you want a guide in Nashville and northen Alabama. I'm down to go digging.

I can't speak on Nashville, but, in all seriousness, if you're trying to find out of the way spots, most have already been hit. It's just luck of the draw at fleas/thrifts depending on who died and just got their attic cleaned out. And, honestly, the type of people that run these places aren't going to be interested in any "New York boys" asking questions about records. They can smell it, trust me. Just get the phone book and drive around to thrifts, maybe you'll get lucky.

As far as BBQ, the places you listed are ehh IMO; you need to be going to Memphis and NC.

Have fun

I don't have any illusions of stumbling on a goldmine or talking to some ol' thrift hand who just happens to be the son of an old school record plugger who left behind stacks and stack of unwanted and unplayed records just taking up room in this guys basement.

I'm looking for some spots to look for records. Of course, I'd rather get them at a great price than a good one, but when it's all said and done, I just want to look for records in a different locale when I'm there. Same thing I'd be doing in NY.

Oh, but I will be wearing my three piece Armani with loafers, a big stogey, and a Tiffany's money clip while sprinkling my sentences with Yiddish words...but I don't think they'll smell the 'New York boy' in me...

Have fun

I don't have any illusions of stumbling on a goldmine or talking to some ol' thrift hand who just happens to be the son of an old school record plugger who left behind stacks and stack of unwanted and unplayed records just taking up room in this guys basement.

I'm looking for some spots to look for records. Of course, I'd rather get them at a great price than a good one, but when it's all said and done, I just want to look for records in a different locale when I'm there. Same thing I'd be doing in NY.

Oh, but I will be wearing my three piece Armani with loafers, a big stogey, and a Tiffany's money clip while sprinkling my sentences with Yiddish words...but I don't think they'll smell the 'New York boy' in me...

Don't forget to remind them who won the war

• Will you be passing thru Columbus, GA and/or eastern Alabama (Montgomery)?

Not sure yet - how far from Huntsville are they? Looks like it might be at least 3 hours from the map I'm looking at, but hard to tell.

I'm pretty sure Huntsville, AL will be my base.

Have fun

Don't forget to remind them who won the war

I'll be rocking this shirt when it gets too hot for the three piece, so hopefully it will do the trick:

• Georgia has some excellent BBQ... Caruthers outside of Athens.

besides that there are no records in GA or the south as a whole.

Will you be passing thru Columbus, GA and/or eastern Alabama (Montgomery)?

Not sure yet - how far from Huntsville are they? Looks like it might be at least 3 hours from the map I'm looking at, but hard to tell.

I'm pretty sure Huntsville, AL will be my base.
    Damn,
    Huntsville to Montgomery is at least 3 hours, which means Huntsville to Columbus is about 4 1/2 hours. Best advice: hollar at yoigotbeats.

And 33third.com was right: there really isn't much to get excited about, record wise, in GA. Hit up some strip clubs.

• i know a hippie commune near macon with 50,000 records

my advice, stay off interstates and drive by secondary roads. you'll see thrifts and antique malls that way (not to mention real restaurants as opposed to applebees and tacobell)

thursdays, fridays, saturdays , sundays, ask people about the fleamarkets near by.

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    PM me if you want a guide in Nashville and northen Alabama. I'm down to go digging.
    hey ive got word that a guy near the airport wants to let off a large collection of disco 12"'s for cheap. you in?

• i know a hippie commune near macon with 50,000 records

my advice, stay off interstates and drive by secondary roads. you'll see thrifts and antique malls that way (not to mention real restaurants as opposed to applebees and tacobell)

thursdays, fridays, saturdays , sundays, ask people about the fleamarkets near by.

Yes, and this is the way to travel regardless of weather or not you want ot find records. Its nice to actually see shit besides rest stops and chain restaurants.

• PM me if you want a guide in Nashville and northen Alabama. I'm down to go digging.

hey ive got word that a guy near the airport wants to let off a large collection of disco 12"'s for cheap. you in?

real diggers move in silence

i know a hippie commune near macon with 50,000 records

You ain't lying about staying off of the interstate. There's a flea market that happens every weekend here in Columbus (I haven't been there yet. Shame on me.)

The antique mall that I usually frequent yields some decent wax. It's a big unorganized pile of wax in the back of said mall and nobody goes there but me.

• You ain't lying about staying off of the interstate. There's a flea market that happens every weekend here in Columbus (I haven't been there yet. Shame on me.)

You're not missing anything except for stories that begin with "When I was stationed in Germany..." and go downhill fast from there. But that's Columbus for ya. But for all I know, we're talking about different flea markets.

The antique mall that I usually frequent yields some decent wax. It's a big unorganized pile of wax in the back of said mall and nobody goes there but me.

...and me, though it's been a few months.

You ain't lying about staying off of the interstate. There's a flea market that happens every weekend here in Columbus (I haven't been there yet. Shame on me.)

You're not missing anything except for stories that begin with "When I was stationed in Germany..." and go downhill fast from there. But that's Columbus for ya. But for all I know, we're talking about different flea markets.

...and me, though it's been a few months.
    I was waiting for you to comment. How's Macon? I've always been curious about that place (after reading Georgia Soul)

• I was waiting for you to comment. How's Macon? I've always been curious about that place (after reading Georgia Soul)

There's no free breakfast in Macon anymore, but I've seen billboards for massage parlors around there.

I was waiting for you to comment. How's Macon? I've always been curious about that place (after reading Georgia Soul)

There's no free breakfast in Macon anymore, but I've seen billboards for massage parlors [/b] around there.
    I guess the hour drive would be worth it