Troyka (RR)

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I found out my roommate is family friends with this psyche group. I tried to find a description of their sound, but all I could source was allmusic and their description seemed fairly negative (tried to imply that they may have been a satire).I'm thinking of nagging my roomie to track down their LP (probably wouldn't cost me anything) but wanted to know what other SS heads thought and perhaps what they sound like.

Comments

• not really psych, more proto-metal, stoner rock...LP has a tune that isnt proto-metal, but sounds like it could be on Drag City circa '95...cool record, would like to find a copy myself.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Thanks!

My roommate will be seeing them over Christmas. If they have any extra LP's I'll try to snatch a couple up and maybe we can do a small trade.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I found out my roommate is family friends with this psyche group. I tried to find a description of their sound, but all I could source was allmusic and their description seemed fairly negative (tried to imply that they may have been a satire).

well that's allmusic for you... my vote for greatest psych album of alltime is the West Cost Pop Art Experimental Band's "A Childs Guide To Good And Evil" which i beileve they give 1 1/2 stars to or some bullshit.

• bre**s**f gave me this lp a few years ago. i enjoy it...more prog, or proto metal (like hookup said) than psyche, with some heavy moments. pretty cool overall. crazy that we were talking about these guys, like how the fuck did these sounds come from these dudes, and what were they thinking when they made this (in a good, creative, way)? Maybe you will gain some more insight into that when your buddy gets back. If anything, get a copy for yourself and check it out.

• Thanks!

My roommate will be seeing them over Christmas. If they have any extra LP's I'll try to snatch a couple up and maybe we can do a small trade.

hook me up if you get extras. my copy is beat to hell. i think it is a dope record a couple really cool instrumental tracks. the singing is kind of weird though.

• This LP can easily be had for $20 on the bay. Here's the Drag City track:

http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1B5GMK1ULLGGY3PQUTY3I3IN8J

This LP can easily be had for $20 on the bay. Here's the Drag City track:

http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1B5GMK1ULLGGY3PQUTY3I3IN8J

Thanks for the hookup! I'm very excited to hear this LP when I get it.

I'll be sure to let the guys in the band know that people are still digging their album and digging for it as well.

• WOW!!! Family friends with TROYKA!!!
    I love this record. Pretty rediculious hard rock except for the track "Early Morning" which IMO is one of the first indie/emo songs ever. Shit sounds like Sea & Cake meets Modest Mouse!

• OOPs! I guess this is the track on the link. Well, if you heard the rest of the record, you would be wondering what the hell that song is doing on there.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    that one song is INCREDIBLE though

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i dig it

peas

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Great record. I will say, however, that there are moments when I truly can't believe how bad the vocals are.

And, OMG, it's got a break!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    dope song. drummer sucks though

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    There is a red label Canadian copy that I've been told is the original, first pressing???

The Hook-Up nailed the description on the head.

There is a red label Canadian copy that I've been told is the original, first pressing???

The Hook-Up nailed the description on the head.
    I'm glad to know there is a little bit of interest in this.

I'll find out about the red-label pressing. Might be a while though.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Pretty rediculious hard rock except for the track "Early Morning" which IMO is one of the first indie/emo songs ever. Shit sounds like Sea & Cake meets Modest Mouse!

agreed, love the mellow vibe

OK, I emailed the Rob Edwards from the band, I'll let ya'll know what the deal is (for those looking for the record) soon.

Rockadelic, I asked him in the email about the red-label pressing.

Finally got a copy of this, and it is red-label cotillion (I'm in Canada).

After listening I have to say that this album is awesome. Really good music, creative, fun and

Rob Edwards doesn't have any extra copies. Really cool guy though. Hopefully he'll do something cool for waxidermy

PS - This was recorded in my home town.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    my friend's theory was that the drummer wrote early morning

oh and canonical i would have toadily traded troyka for dance for your dinner. too bad

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Awesome album. The vocals may be an acquired taste, but I think they're great. Glad I recently minted up. I think my first copy was red label Cotillion, but I've seen promos of this with blue labels and white labels. (blue label possibly a US pressing?)

I wouldn't really describe it as anything. Touches a few bases, yet still one of a kind. Canada is pretty cool in this regard. (PS still need Sex - The End of My Life - help me!).

I wouldn't really describe it as anything. Touches a few bases, yet still one of a kind. Canada is pretty cool in this regard. (PS still need Sex - The End of My Life - help me!).
    Go Canada! Didn't silvertone have "sex" for trade recently ()?

slush, do you mean I give you troyka and you give me "dance for your dinner"? I have been looking for troyka hard since this thread started and only recently acquired it. But thanks anyway.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Go Canada! Didn't silvertone have "sex" for trade recently ()?

Hope he still does!

PS - would love to see some kind of Troyka article.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    im just talking shit. i love troyka, im getting a copy this week from a friend.